2014 U19 Asian Championship

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: 2014 U19 Asian Championship

Post by Stuckey »

Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote: How? We barely got thru the qualification stage where all but Japan were worse than us. Suddenly that's going to turn around against 3 of the top 15 nations?
If we actually did a decent job of qualifying then we would have been in Japan's far more open group.

Just look at the EAFF qualifications. Holger started with the oldies who struggled against Hong Kong. So Holger was forced into playing the younger players who then pumped Guam 9-0.
Holger then reverted back to the oldies for the North Korea game they only drew that. Then it was up to the youth again the get all the goals the oldies couldn't get against Hong Kong for us to qualify.
Ok, answer me this then - is a World Cup, the pinnacle of football, a tournament that you should experiment in?
Of course not, but my point is that except for a couple of ins and outs that's the squad I would have taken anyway. So I don't consider what Ange did as experimenting.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Stuckey wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote: How? We barely got thru the qualification stage where all but Japan were worse than us. Suddenly that's going to turn around against 3 of the top 15 nations?
If we actually did a decent job of qualifying then we would have been in Japan's far more open group.

Just look at the EAFF qualifications. Holger started with the oldies who struggled against Hong Kong. So Holger was forced into playing the younger players who then pumped Guam 9-0.
Holger then reverted back to the oldies for the North Korea game they only drew that. Then it was up to the youth again the get all the goals the oldies couldn't get against Hong Kong for us to qualify.
Ok, answer me this then - is a World Cup, the pinnacle of football, a tournament that you should experiment in?
Of course not, but my point is that except for a couple of ins and outs that's the squad I would have taken anyway. So I don't consider what Ange did as experimenting.
Funny, when Gombau took the reins at AU, it was ok to experiment for so long, as he needed "time" to develop the philosophy. Its similar to what we were hearing just prior to the WC from Ange.
At least JG seems to have made progress, whilst the Socceroos seem to have gone backwards. That said, I have no issue with the odd experiment when playing friendlies.
Whilst friendlies are just that, they do impact FIFA rankings, and we will need to get better. Sooner the better obviously, but if it doesnt get a LOT better by the Asian Cup, then I'm afraid it was an appointment that may need revisiting.
Ignore this signature

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Yeah its basically the same situation. Except that JG had his players week in week out so establishing his philosophy was easier. Ange has a far harder task as he gets his players for limited periods, then they return to their clubs who may play an entirely different system.
IMO the key for Ange is to focus on clubs that play a similar way to how he wants. Then look at the key Australian players in those sides.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Bomber wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Bomber wrote: Ok, answer me this then - is a World Cup, the pinnacle of football, a tournament that you should experiment in?
Funny, when Gombau took the reins at AU, it was ok to experiment for so long, as he needed "time" to develop the philosophy. Its similar to what we were hearing just prior to the WC from Ange.
At least JG seems to have made progress, whilst the Socceroos seem to have gone backwards. That said, I have no issue with the odd experiment when playing friendlies.
Whilst friendlies are just that, they do impact FIFA rankings, and we will need to get better. Sooner the better obviously, but if it doesnt get a LOT better by the Asian Cup, then I'm afraid it was an appointment that may need revisiting.
Speaking of which, we are now ranked 94th in the world, how low can we go!
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

This was the point of moving in to Asia, tougher competition. Time for the kids to lift their game.