2014 U19 Asian Championship

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

2014 U19 Asian Championship

Post by Stuckey »

The 2014 AFC U-19 Championship will be the 38th edition of the tournament organized by the Asian Football Confederation. It will be hosted by Myanmar.[1] The top four teams qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. The tournament will begin on October 9th with the final being played on October 23rd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_AFC_U-19_Championship
Coach Paul Okon has named three young Western Sydney Wanderers in a 23-man squad for a training camp ahead of October's Under-19 World Cup.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014 ... ning-squad
Training squad: Daniel Alessi (Western Sydney Wanderers), Shannon Brady (Brisbane Roar), Jordan Brown (Melbourne Victory), Brandon Borello (Roar), Devante Clut (Roar), Shayne D'Cunha (Wanderers), Daniel De Silva (Perth Glory), Alusine Fofanah (Wanderers), Lawrence Hanna (Wanderers) Michael Kantarovski (Newcastle Jets), Jordan Lampard (Roar), Awer Mabil (Adelaide United), Joshua Macdonald (Sydney FC), Thomas Manos (gk) (Wanderers), Marc Marino (AIS), Mark Ochieng (AIS), Luke Radonich (gk) (Glory), Liam Rose (AIS), Jordan Thurtell (gk) (AIS), George Timotheou (AIS), Jaiden Walker (Roar), Ben Warland (AIS), Riley Woodcock (Glory)
I wonder if this means Awer's birth certificate issues are fixed? Great to see Ochieng and Warland there to who are going to join AU's senior squad next season.

The 4 countries that make the semi finals will qualify for the U20 WC which is being hosted by New Zealand.

Pinga
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: 2014 U19 Asian Championship

Post by Pinga »

Also Marc Marino a local SA lad.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Pinga wrote:Also Marc Marino a local SA lad.
Who cares he's not playing for AU next season! :mrgreen:

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

We should salute all our local lads not just those who play for AU.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

oldfart wrote:We should salute all our local lads not just those who play for AU.
I'll salute the ones that do well! ;)

I wonder why Lucas Neill didn't get a go?

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Well deserved for Mabil

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Brandon Borello is also an ex SA lad. Played at Modbury as a junior, moved to Queensland about 4 years ago.
Time for some righteous indignation

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

The Groups:

Group A: Myanmar, Iran, Thailand, Yemen

Group B: Uzbekistan, Australia, UAE, Indonesia

Group C: Korea Republic, Japan, China, Vietnam

Group D: Iraq, DPR Korea, Qatar, Oman
http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournaments/m ... pions.html

A fairly tough draw. The Uzzies and UAE are improving as footballing nations rather dramatically so our group will be a tough one to progress from.

Reds11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Reds11 »

Did any of the boys from SA make the squad to UAE which departs today to play 2 friendlies??

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Reds11 wrote:Did any of the boys from SA make the squad to UAE which departs today to play 2 friendlies??
I know Awer is on his way there.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Anyone know anymore of this 4 friendlies the U20s are playing in Dubai?
I know Awer and Chris Ikonomidis are playing.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I haven't seen a squad but Awer, Izzo and Warland are part of it.
The squad selected by Okon departed Sydney yesterday and will be in the UAE from 5 to 18 May. They will play two international friendly matches against the Oman U-20 National Team (9 and 11 May) and another two international friendly matches against the UAE U-20 National Team (14 and 16 May).
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/ade ... roos/90334

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Young Socceroos Head Coach Paul Okon today named a 20-player squad for the
upcoming ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) U19 Youth Championship 2014 which
will be held in Hanoi, Vietnam from 5-13 September.

The Squad:

Daniel Alessi (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Harry Ascroft (VVV Venlo, The Netherlands)

George Blackwood (Apia Leichhardt/Sydney FC NYL)

Shannon Brady (Brisbane Roar)

Brandon Borrello (Brisbane Roar)

Anthony Bouzanis (gk)(Sydney FC)

Jordan Brown (Melbourne Victory)

Daniel De Silva (Perth Glory)

Shayne D’Cunha (Blacktown City)

Scott Galloway (Melbourne Victory)

Ben Garuccio (Melbourne City)

Hagi Gligor (Sydney FC)

Paul Izzo (gk) Adelaide United)

Awer Mabil (Adelaide United)

Stefan Mauk (Melbourne City)

Christopher Naumoff (Sydney FC)

Liam Rose (Central Coast Mariners)

Peter Skapetis (Stoke City FC, England)

Jaushua Sotirio (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Benjamin Warland (Adelaide United)
The AFC U19 championship follows this one quite closely, October 9-23 I think. I wonder if there will be any squad changes? You'd think Chris Ikonomidis would walk into the squad obviously.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Harry Ascroft is a new name. In the VVV Venlo first squad as a defender.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Went down 1-0 to Vietnam after a late goal from them. Not a great start to the AFF tournament.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Wow I'm not sure what I'm blown away by more, the crowd or how lousy our defending was. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsgn0UC2_GY#t=38

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Young Socceroos went down to Japan 4-3. The winner came in the 3rd minute of injury time. :(
Galloway, Ascroft and Skapetis scored for us.
That means we're out of the tournament.
Awer Mabil started.

Cheap Kitchens
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cheap Kitchens »

Awesome!
Quote me !

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

When are we going to see the 'benefits' of this national curriculum?

Our youth teams are far worse than they were 15 years ago.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:When are we going to see the 'benefits' of this national curriculum?

The change happened 10 years ago not 15 it was 2004. The French won a WC after a decade of their new curriculum. So obviously its a slow process. The main issue though is that along with a total curriculum change Australia had basically at the top level a complete structure change as well. The French for example changed their methods but still had large clubs and associations still in place to put those changes in place. Australia changed is methods but handed those changes to HAL clubs who were all in the processes of setting themselves up so at the top level youth development and re-structuring was low on most if not all clubs priorities. So for the first 7 seasons of the HAL youth development fell to local and overseas clubs mostly. Now finally in the last few HAL season we're starting to see more of a focus on youth development and clubs building structures to allow them to sign kids and player them far more regularly. So although the new curriculum was implemented 10 years ago. It really wasn't entirely adopted till about 3 years ago.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:When are we going to see the 'benefits' of this national curriculum?

The change happened 10 years ago not 15 it was 2004. The French won a WC after a decade of their new curriculum. So obviously its a slow process. The main issue though is that along with a total curriculum change Australia had basically at the top level a complete structure change as well. The French for example changed their methods but still had large clubs and associations still in place to put those changes in place. Australia changed is methods but handed those changes to HAL clubs who were all in the processes of setting themselves up so at the top level youth development and re-structuring was low on most if not all clubs priorities. So for the first 7 seasons of the HAL youth development fell to local and overseas clubs mostly. Now finally in the last few HAL season we're starting to see more of a focus on youth development and clubs building structures to allow them to sign kids and player them far more regularly. So although the new curriculum was implemented 10 years ago. It really wasn't entirely adopted till about 3 years ago.
So in 10 years of this youth development revolution we are producing National Youth Teams that are worse??
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

So in 10 years of this youth development revolution we are producing National Youth Teams that are worse??
Yes I guess so, the process has been so disjointed that the entire program really hasn't been about to move too far forward IMO that's not to say coaches aren't working hard and doing their best, its the entire system that isn't completely up and running yet still. But I feel it is starting to move forward now.
But talking about this squad, this is the lead up tournament so I wouldn't be surprised if Okon calls in other players to the AFC Championship. Chris Ikonomidis for example is able to play. I'm not sure whether he well or not though given he's currently fighting for a first team spot at Lazio which I would say is a little more important then a youth tournament.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Rising Australian defender Cameron Burgess has insisted there was no risk of a family rift when he made one of the toughest football decisons he will ever face - opting to turn his back on Scotland to represent Australia.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/ ... -australia

Great news. If he's getting first XI game time at Fulham surely he should be called up to the Socceroos not just the U20's!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

So Japan ended up winning the AFF Tournament. I guess the Young Socceroos can take some stock from the fact that both sides that beat them in the tournament made the final.

AFC tournament start on October 9th.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Socca »

I'm not sure where you both got 10 and 15 years from ?

The FFA curriculum was released in late 2009

The first generation of the new, improved Socceroos are just finishing primary school.

The under-12s are the first age group to go through Australia's revamped development system. Football Federation Australia hopes this new breed will have the technical and tactical qualities their forebears lacked. But these kids are a decade away from their international debut. And in the meantime, the Socceroos are losing ground.

Since peaking at 14 in 2009, our FIFA ranking has dropped to 76. The 2006 World Cup squad boasted 15 players in first division of the English, Italian and Dutch leagues – names like Kewell, Viduka, Neill. That number has now fallen to three.

Why is the national team getting worse when domestic soccer has never been stronger? And what will the Socceroos look like in a decade?

To look into the future we first need to look to the past, says the FFA's head of high performance, Luke Casserly.

The old National Soccer League had many problems, but it was a successful incubator of young talent. The top NSL clubs had youth teams that stretched all the way down to primary-school-aged soccer players. Talented kids quickly rose through the ranks to the first team before heading overseas.

When the NSL was scrapped and replaced by the A-League in 2005, that model took a hit, says Casserly. The league chose to focus on developing crowds rather than youngsters; money was put towards promotion rather than youth development.

"We had a national competition where every club in the comp had a junior development system," Casserly says.

"Our current national competition, the clubs don't have that. We've now got a 10-year gap where the leading professional clubs in the country don't have a junior development system of their own.''

Adelaide FC coach Josep Gombau spent his early coaching career overseeing the wunderkinds at Barcelona's youth academy at La Masia.

Barcelona's youth system mirrors that in place in much of Europe, with junior teams operated all the way down to the age of seven – just as the NSL used to operate.

"For me I was very surprised when I arrived in Adelaide and I saw that we just have a youth team, just one," Gombau said.

"This is something that really for my knowledge, for what I saw in all my life, is something strange for me."

Meanwhile, the AIS football school has fallen into decline.

Between 1981 and 1989 the AIS pathway produced 23 Socceroos with 458 international caps between them. Between 1990 and 1999 – the golden age – the pathway produced 28 Socceroos who earned 933 caps between them.

In the 14 years since then the AIS has produced only 23 Socceroos with 301 caps between them.

"That was a world-leading football program," Casserly says.

"Twenty years ago not a lot of countries had a full-time football program like that. But 20 years on the kind of investment that other countries are making in football has gone way beyond what we have the resources to do. The football economy globally has changed massively."

Those problems gestated over a long period of time, but we're seeing their rotten fruits now. Australia's young sides have been failing at the highest level for some time. Since the turn of the millennium there have been seven FIFA Under-20 World Cups. Australia qualified for six of them.

Four of those campaigns have ended without Australia winning a single game. You need to go all the way back to 2003 to find the team's last victory.

Yet in 1991 and 1993 Australia finished fourth. Those teams contained players who would go on to form the backbone of the Socceroos' golden generation – players like Paul Okon, Tony Popovic and Mark Bosnich.

The players who grew up during Casserley's lost decade are the ones currently representing the Socceroos – they're a veritable lost generation.

What future then, for the current crop of youngsters, the ones who couldn't win a game at 2013's tournament?

The unfortunate reality for a developed country like Australia, one taught to expect sporting success as its due, is that unlike the Olympics, in soccer there is almost no link between a country's wealth and the success of its international team.

"Population and GDP are useless for prediction ... none is a meaningful predictor of ranking or success" says Dr Stephen Woodcock, a sports modelling expert at Sydney's University of Technology.

"The intangible and harder-to-measure factors of sporting culture seem to be bigger drivers."

That means we can't simply expect success – it has to be constructed.

The good news is that overhaul is possible. Germany used its failure at Euro 2000 as the catalyst to rebuild its youth system.

The Bundesliga required every club to operate a youth academy with a full-time youth coach. A central fund was set up to support less-well-off clubs' youth development. And the league set up its own independent academies across the country.

Germany, like Australia, operated a league short on technical quality, which led to international players with developed physical rather than technical abilities. The transformation in youth development now sees German teams play some of the most attractive, attacking football in the world.

Australia is attempting the same trick, rebuilding its youth development pathway from the bottom up.

The holy artefact at the centre of this effort is the FFA's National Cirriculum, created by Han Berger. It argues Australian football has stood still while world football's quality – especially technical quality – has developed to a "breathtaking level".

The curriculum calls for young teams to play technique-oriented football, and for clubs to focus on development, not winning. Underpinning that is a plan to replicate a key pillar of Germany's success and develop a large body of highly qualified development coaches across Australia.

The curriculum imagines a future Socceroos squad staffed with creative playmakers playing possession-oriented football, with a high level of technical and tactical skill right across the team. Think Harry Kewell over Mathew Leckie, or Marco Bresciano over Mark Milligan.

Casserly is watching the first children at the very bottom of the development system start to come through that technique-oriented training – and he's excited by the results.

"We're actually starting to create position-specific players,'' he says. "We actually create out-and-out wingers ... with excellent one-v-one dribbling attacking skills. We actually create a No.10-type player with those creative type abilities."

But older heads strike a more cautious note. Berti Mariani, the man who brought through golden generation players at the Marconi Stallions, doesn't see the buy-in from Australia's competitive clubs.

"The A-League is a business,'' he says. "It was set up without any youth programs. At the moment there is this question between the survival of a club in a competition and the need also for that club to develop players.''

The A-League is a top-down organisation, one imposed by the federal government over the top of an existing system. That perhaps is part of the problem the FFA has had in imposing its vision on state-based federations.

Mariani points out that, despite the FFA's focus on development over winning, New South Wales just separated its youth and first-team competitions and brought in a system of promotion and relegation for youth teams.

''You actually have this crazy situation where 12-year-olds are playing for promotion for his club,'' he says. "That is one of the conflicts.''

Blahblah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Blahblah »

Socca wrote:
Since peaking at 14 in 2009, our FIFA ranking has dropped to 76. The 2006 World Cup squad boasted 15 players in first division of the English, Italian and Dutch leagues – names like Kewell, Viduka, Neill. That number has now fallen to three.
Not sure how old that article is however the game against Saudi Arabia featured players who are plying their trades in West Brom, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Fiorentina, Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund, Zwolle and Utrecht. That's not counting the players who didn't feature (Utrecht (x2), Mainz, Newcastle, Feyenoord). On one hand not many of these are regular starters, on the other many of these are very young and have bright futures ahead of them.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Daniel Alessi - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Shannon Brady - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Brandon Borrello - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Anthony Bouzanis (gk) - Sydney FC, Australia

Jordan Brown - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Cameron Burgess - Fulham FC, England

Daniel De Silva - Perth Glory, Australia

Shayne D’Cunha - Blacktown City, Australia

Scott Galloway - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Hagi Gligor - Sydney FC, Australia

Chris Ikonomidis - SS Lazio, Italy

Paul Izzo (G/K) - Adelaide United, Australia

Awer Mabil - Adelaide United, Australia

Stefan Mauk - Melbourne City FC, Australia

Dylan Murnane - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Christopher Naumoff - Sydney FC, Australia

Marc Ochieng - Adelaide United, Australia

Liam Rose - Central Coast Mariners, Australia

Peter Skapetis - Stoke City FC, England

Jaushua Sotirio - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Jordan Thurtell (gk) - Perth Glory, Australia

Benjamin Warland - Adelaide United, Australia

Riley Woodcock - Perth Glory, Australia
AFC championship squad.
Great to see Ikonomidis and Burgess there.

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

Stuckey wrote:
Daniel Alessi - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Shannon Brady - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Brandon Borrello - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Anthony Bouzanis (gk) - Sydney FC, Australia

Jordan Brown - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Cameron Burgess - Fulham FC, England

Daniel De Silva - Perth Glory, Australia

Shayne D’Cunha - Blacktown City, Australia

Scott Galloway - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Hagi Gligor - Sydney FC, Australia

Chris Ikonomidis - SS Lazio, Italy

Paul Izzo (G/K) - Adelaide United, Australia

Awer Mabil - Adelaide United, Australia

Stefan Mauk - Melbourne City FC, Australia

Dylan Murnane - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Christopher Naumoff - Sydney FC, Australia

Marc Ochieng - Adelaide United, Australia

Liam Rose - Central Coast Mariners, Australia

Peter Skapetis - Stoke City FC, England

Jaushua Sotirio - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Jordan Thurtell (gk) - Perth Glory, Australia

Benjamin Warland - Adelaide United, Australia

Riley Woodcock - Perth Glory, Australia
AFC championship squad.
Where is Rafa Jimenez

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Googes wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
Daniel Alessi - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Shannon Brady - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Brandon Borrello - Brisbane Roar FC, Australia

Anthony Bouzanis (gk) - Sydney FC, Australia

Jordan Brown - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Cameron Burgess - Fulham FC, England

Daniel De Silva - Perth Glory, Australia

Shayne D’Cunha - Blacktown City, Australia

Scott Galloway - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Hagi Gligor - Sydney FC, Australia

Chris Ikonomidis - SS Lazio, Italy

Paul Izzo (G/K) - Adelaide United, Australia

Awer Mabil - Adelaide United, Australia

Stefan Mauk - Melbourne City FC, Australia

Dylan Murnane - Melbourne Victory, Australia

Christopher Naumoff - Sydney FC, Australia

Marc Ochieng - Adelaide United, Australia

Liam Rose - Central Coast Mariners, Australia

Peter Skapetis - Stoke City FC, England

Jaushua Sotirio - Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Australia

Jordan Thurtell (gk) - Perth Glory, Australia

Benjamin Warland - Adelaide United, Australia

Riley Woodcock - Perth Glory, Australia
AFC championship squad.
Where is Rafa Jimenez
In Spain last time I heard.

Googes
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Googes »

Would of thought he would be picked in the squad. Highly rated kid, is he pushing for first team squad?