Adelaide Oval want world cup games

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Adelaide Oval want world cup games

Post by adelaidebloke »

I heard it on Tipple MMM news today,

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Adelaide Oval want world cup games

Post by Stuckey »

Even if it is just playing Kuwait or India to begin with. I feel we need to get a trend going of playing games here.
I'd love to see youth NTs come here as well. I reckon they would be perfect games to play at Coopers

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Will be great to get a couple WC qualifiers here, we deserve it

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Red-4-Life wrote:Will be great to get a couple WC qualifiers here, we deserve it

+1

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:Will be great to get a couple WC qualifiers here, we deserve it
What have we done to deserve it? I know I have been good but I'm not sure about everyone else!

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Stuckey wrote:
What have we done to deserve it? I know I have been good but I'm not sure about everyone else!
One of the best average A-League crowds during the A-League's inception (best per capita I think?), one of the best behaved crowds....oh and we are a part of Australia, that probably helps. The FFA don't seem to think that though.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:
Stuckey wrote:
One of the best average A-League crowds during the A-League's inception (best per capita I think?), one of the best behaved crowds....oh and we are a part of Australia, that probably helps. The FFA don't seem to think that though.
Haha yeah I was just joking, but they are all good points. Just missing one thing. Money, FFA plays were the money is the best. Everyone is aware of that so there is no point SA Government harping on saying give us a go when QLD, NSW and VIC outbid us every time.
As we saw with the New Zealand game the Socceroos will pull a decent crowd for sure. So put their money where their mouth is and go for it.

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

there is up to 7 home games in the world cup qualifiers, perth, adelaide, sydney, melbourne, brisbane....then give the eastern state sides a extra one.

or award the last two home games too the two biggest crowds....from the first 5 games in each ciy :)

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

adelaidebloke wrote:there is up to 7 home games in the world cup qualifiers, perth, adelaide, sydney, melbourne, brisbane....then give the eastern state sides a extra one.

or award the last two home games too the two biggest crowds....from the first 5 games in each ciy :)
Why would FFA do that if Melb and Syd offer more money for the Adelaide and Perth games?

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

I think all 5 "big" capital cities should get at least one game each then Sydney and Melbourne get a second game. But as Stuckey said.....$$$$$ speaks and that's all FFA care about. Having only seen the socceroos play once in my home city is just not good enough, barely feel like a "NATIONAL" team.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:I think all 5 "big" capital cities should get at least one game each then Sydney and Melbourne get a second game. But as Stuckey said.....$$$$$ speaks and that's all FFA care about. Having only seen the socceroos play once in my home city is just not good enough, barely feel like a "NATIONAL" team.
I agree. Especially when Holger was coaching us into the ground I had next to no connection with the NT. In fact I was cheering for them to lose so change would come sooner! France 6 Australia 0 was a great day!

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

I still have doubts that Adelaide Oval conforms to FIFA's guidelines for playing WC Qualifying games as it is not a fully enclosed stadium.

It is also not a fully seated stadium.

If I am wrong please show me the changes to FIFA's rules for the last WC.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

oldfart wrote:I still have doubts that Adelaide Oval conforms to FIFA's guidelines for playing WC Qualifying games as it is not a fully enclosed stadium.

I'm guess that if it has to be fully seated for FIFA games they could just close the hill so no one goes there. It would reduce capacity but only slightly.
Was the hill open for the NZ match?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Can learn from the US here...8 home qualifiers, 6 different venues. And the ones that got it twice were small markets (Kansas and Columbus) give those franchises a boost.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

The Kop wrote:Can learn from the US here...8 home qualifiers, 6 different venues. And the ones that got it twice were small markets (Kansas and Columbus) give those franchises a boost.
That is a smart move. Maybe the local comps here need to push for games here.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

The Kop wrote:Can learn from the US here...8 home qualifiers, 6 different venues. And the ones that got it twice were small markets (Kansas and Columbus) give those franchises a boost.
That's a sensible way to do it so as to build a sense of belonging with the fans.

Also I think strategically they need to look at the opposition and making them play in climates that they may not be familiar with or additional travel etc. ie make Japan play in Perth or Adelaide, where there may not be direct flights.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Black_Panther wrote:
That's a sensible way to do it so as to build a sense of belonging with the fans.

Also I think strategically they need to look at the opposition and making them play in climates that they may not be familiar with or additional travel etc. ie make Japan play in Perth or Adelaide, where there may not be direct flights.
Yeah get the SE Asians to player in dry heat and the Middle East countries to play in humid weather. Although most of our Socceroos are used to playing in European cold so I'd say we're the ones who will be feeling it!

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Stuckey wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:

Yeah get the SE Asians to player in dry heat and the Middle East countries to play in humid weather. Although most of our Socceroos are used to playing in European cold so I'd say we're the ones who will be feeling it!
There is a bit of that!

However my thinking was similar to when our teams have played in South America and have had to play at altitude or played at venues where there aren't direct flights etc.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

That idea does have its merits, I’m sure the Socceroos could play later in the day when they travel to West Asia. Seems we always play in extreme heat when it makes sense to have an evening kick off.
That’s probably deliberate.

Speaking of US Soccer. They scheduled a game against Costa Rica in Denver knowing that there’d be a good chance of heavy snow, it was also scheduled inbetween NFL games so the fixture couldn’t be changed. They could of done the sensible thing and played it less mountainous southern states. Put it this way, doubt they would have scheduled a game against Canada in the snow. Some of the Costa Ricans had never seen snow before let alone play football in it.

All is fair in love and war when there’s a WC place on the line.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

I'm all for that! I feel we learnt a real lesson when qualifying against Uruguay the first time. We just about picked them up from the airport we welcomed them here so much. Then when the Socceroos went their they barely made it on the bus alive!

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Stuckey wrote:
oldfart wrote:I still have doubts that Adelaide Oval conforms to FIFA's guidelines for playing WC Qualifying games as it is not a fully enclosed stadium.

I'm guess that if it has to be fully seated for FIFA games they could just close the hill so no one goes there. It would reduce capacity but only slightly.

The ground must be fully enclosed at all points and seating must go all around the ground.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

so adelaide ticks that, it is enclosed and has seats all the way around

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

oldfart wrote:
Stuckey wrote:

The ground must be fully enclosed at all points and seating must go all around the ground.
What do you mean by enclosed? Does each stand need a roof?