U22 AFC Championship

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

U22 AFC Championship

Post by Stuckey »

After topping our group we now face Saudi Arabia in the Quarter finals. If we win that one we'll play Jordan in the Semis.

The Saudi Arabia game in 11;30pm tonight.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: U22 AFC Championship

Post by Red-4-Life »

Any streams to watch it on?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Red-4-Life wrote:Any streams to watch it on?
Vipbox seem to have it.

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

http://lag10.com/channel9

Arabic commentary... ok for some!

Just had the Aussie National Anthem... these kids are an embarrassment... some of them laughing... muttering... not a good look...

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

just found english commentary... http://www.coolsport.tv/stream25.html

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Chico wrote:http://lag10.com/channel9

Arabic commentary... ok for some!

Just had the Aussie National Anthem... these kids are an embarrassment... some of them laughing... muttering... not a good look...
I hope it was a good joke. Agree looks bad.

Standard start from Olyroos. Good possession and build up but no cutting edge in attack. Hoole with a good chance but hit at the keeper.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Australia have gone down 2-1 to Saudi Arabia. In a game that literally put me to sleep for the first hour Australia as per usual dominated possession but created little in the way of genuine chances. The Saudi's went 1 up with some slack marking, then my stream dropped out as they went two up. My stream returned to see a scuffle between many of the players Hoole and one Saudi player got physical but sadly Hoole was the only on to be given a red. Which it turned out was a good thing because it finally woke Australia up and we started playing with a decent intensity. Our goal came from a penalty smartly converted by Peter Skapetis which made for a slightly exciting but mainly frustrating finish.
AUFC lads Kitto, JBD and Hall didn't feature in the match.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Vintage Viddie

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Iraq ended up beating the Saudis in the final. So I guess we can take stock from the fact we were beaten by the second best side!

I'm not sure where the next tournament will be held but it is scheduled to take place from 9-21 February 2015. The top 3 teams will qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Only players born on or after 1 January 1993 are eligible to compete in the 2015 AFC U-22 Asian Cup tournament. But that means all the players in Australia's squad are young enough to be involved.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

you mean 2016, right?

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

sephiroth wrote:you mean 2016, right?
No there is another one of these next year. The reason they are so close is because this tournament just finished was postponed for some reason.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

One thing we must take from these AFC championship matches is that both the finalists have been coached by world class South American & European coaches for the last twenty years and are now seeing the results of their investment.

We, as usual have failed to see what is happening in Asia and have just continued on with our now out of date systems and tried to match the South American/Spanish influence throughout Asia with the bog standard Dutch methodology of twenty years ago - even the Dutch have moved on from that. :roll:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

oldfart wrote:One thing we must take from these AFC championship matches is that both the finalists have been coached by world class South American & European coaches for the last twenty years and are now seeing the results of their investment.

We, as usual have failed to see what is happening in Asia and have just continued on with our now out of date systems and tried to match the South American/Spanish influence throughout Asia with the bog standard Dutch methodology of twenty years ago - even the Dutch have moved on from that. :roll:
I wouldn't read too heavily into this tournament personally. A lot of good young players from other countries weren't there. The next one is for the Olympics next year. We can all analyse that one heavily!