40th Anniversary of qualifying for the 1974 World Cup

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

40th Anniversary of qualifying for the 1974 World Cup

Post by Con M »

On the 13th November 1973 in a play-off match in neutral Hong Kong versus South Korea the late Jimmy McKay hit a 25-metre thunderbolt to send Australia to it's first World Cup tournament in West Germany in 1974.

That team was coached by Rale Rasic and had such luminaries as the late Johnny Warren in it. Now that squad is being honoured with a special reunion in Hong Kong after they appear tonight (13/11) as special guests at the Australian Football Awards in Sydney.

They had a gruelling 11-match campaign to get there including a harrowing nail-biting 0-2 loss in front of 130,000 in Tehran. I had gone to the 3-0 win over Iran in Sydney with neighbourhood friend Meno Toutsides (later Adelaide News & The Advertiser soccer-football writer and present Channel 7 Program Manager). We thought it was done and dusted over Iran only to watch in horror on TV as it was nearly all undone when Iran raced to a 2-0 score within 25 minutes in the return leg in Tehran.

After a 0-0 draw in Sydney, then a 2-2 draw away with South Korea they headed off to Hong Kong for the play-off (no away goals rule those days). I was in the Ashford hospital that night getting all my cartilages removed in the right knee after damaging it against Polonia and Juventus that year. A number of us in the ward watching late at night nearly woke the whole hospital when McKay's screamer went in. As famous a night as when we qualified again in 2005. Memories...
Last edited by Con M on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: 40th Anniversary of qualifying for the 1974 World Cup

Post by Bomber »

Only 16 teams in that '74 WC too. Was good having two teams to follow then as a 10 year old kid. Whilst Australia didnt last beyond their 3 group games, enjoyed Polska beating Italy, Argentina in the group stages and knocking off Brazil to get third place at the end.
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bomber wrote:Only 16 teams in that '74 WC too. Was good having two teams to follow then as a 10 year old kid. Whilst Australia didnt last beyond their 3 group games, enjoyed Polska beating Italy, Argentina in the group stages and knocking off Brazil to get third place at the end.
Yep, only 16 teams those days and harder to qualify.

I remember also admiring that Polska team with players like Lato & Deyna which could have even gone past 3rd. Admired them earlier too in the 1973 qualifier at Wembley when Jan Tomaszewski, the goalie labelled "a clown" by Clough, held out and knocked out mighty England.

The 1978 side was probably even better with a young Boniek in the team and the 1982 side got to 3rd again.

But here in OZ today is a day to remember the 1973/1974 Socceroos - pioneers.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Con M wrote:
Bomber wrote:Only 16 teams in that '74 WC too. Was good having two teams to follow then as a 10 year old kid. Whilst Australia didnt last beyond their 3 group games, enjoyed Polska beating Italy, Argentina in the group stages and knocking off Brazil to get third place at the end.
Yep, only 16 teams those days and harder to qualify.

I remember also admiring that Polska team with players like Lato & Deyna which could have even gone past 3rd. Admired them earlier too in the 1973 qualifier at Wembley when Jan Tomaszewski, the goalie labelled "a clown" by Clough, held out and knocked out mighty England.

The 1978 side was probably even better with a young Boniek in the team and the 1982 side got to 3rd again.

But here in OZ today is a day to remember the 1973/1974 Socceroos - pioneers.

There are 32 places now d to rise in competitiveness in countries outside of Europe and South America.

Back in '74 it was basically Europe vs South America and everyone else were there for the amusement of TV broadcasters.

Now it is only a matter of time before an "outsider" wins the WC.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Captain Obvious
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Captain Obvious »

oldfart wrote:Now it is only a matter of time before an "outsider" wins the WC.
Very few world cups have been won by the host nation.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Captain Obvious wrote:
oldfart wrote:Now it is only a matter of time before an "outsider" wins the WC.
Very few world cups have been won by the host nation.

1966 was one of them.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

THis is going to get really boring if we are going to commemorate the 40th annivarsary of the qualification, the first game, the second game, the first successful tackle by an Australian, the first fart during a game at the World Cup etc etc but then I suppose Australia's football history is not really littered with too many other events to celebrate is it!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

Old Redback wrote:THis is going to get really boring if we are going to commemorate the 40th annivarsary of the qualification, the first game, the second game, the first successful tackle by an Australian, the first fart during a game at the World Cup etc etc but then I suppose Australia's football history is not really littered with too many other events to celebrate is it!
For a group of Amateurs in an event full of professionals it was a great achievement, probably pales in comparison to your own personal milestones.
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Ctrl-Alt-Del wrote:
Old Redback wrote:THis is going to get really boring if we are going to commemorate the 40th annivarsary of the qualification, the first game, the second game, the first successful tackle by an Australian, the first fart during a game at the World Cup etc etc but then I suppose Australia's football history is not really littered with too many other events to celebrate is it!
For a group of Amateurs in an event full of professionals it was a great achievement, probably pales in comparison to your own personal milestones.
Well the FFA didn't think this milestone of the game was boring in this country where it is not the dominant code.

The FFA honoured these pioneers as special guests at the Australian Football awards night.

The FFA honoured these pioneers with a reunion in Hong Kong, scene of their triumph in qualifying for this country's 1st ever World Cup Finals after a gruelling 11-match run.

Those not born yesterday respect this achievement.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

I really don't believe many Australians really understand the magnitude of their achievement or how well they played when they got there.

They only got beaten 3 - 0 by the East Germans, who were one of the best teams in the tournament.

The other two games they were close to causing massive upsets.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

oldfart wrote:I really don't believe many Australians really understand the magnitude of their achievement or how well they played when they got there.

They only got beaten 3 - 0 by the East Germans, who were one of the best teams in the tournament.

The other two games they were close to causing massive upsets.
a 2-0 loss to the East Germans after being 0-0 at H.T. An unfortunate own goal by Col Curran with the game delicately poised on the hour.

Lost 3-0 to the host and eventual 1974 World Cup winner West Germany.

Drew with Chile.

Chile will again be our opponent on Saturday the 14th June 2014 (7.30 am Adelaide time).

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

breakfast beers

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

adelaidebloke wrote:breakfast beers
Can you please explain this quote, adelaidebloke.