Bresciano in mix for captain socceroo

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Bresciano in mix for captain socceroo

Post by adelaidebloke »

Mark Bresciano expects Lucas Neill to fight for the captain's armband but admitted it would be the icing on the cake of a long career if he is called to lead the Socceroos next week.

Coach Ange Postecoglou is yet to name a captain for next Tuesday's international friendly against Costa Rica at Allianz Stadium.

Long-time skipper Neill while named in Postecoglou's 22-man squad, is by no means assured of ever leading the side again, with fellow veterans Tim Cahill or Bresciano among those touted to be in the running.

Neill was heavily criticised for his reaction after the Socceroos suffered back-to-back 6-0 losses to Brazil and then France recently.

The losses ultimately resulted in coach Holger Osieck's sacking and led to calls for Neill to retire.

By contrast Bresciano was hailed for his honest response and called a true leader as he took responsibility, apologising to the nation and vowing to turn things around.

But while eyeing the honour of leading the Socceroos out on the pitch next week, Bresciano knows Neill won't go down without a fight.

"I think he's got every right to fight for it," the 33-year-old said on Tuesday.

"He's been the captain for so long and he's done a very good job for the national team so we have to respect that.

"It's nice to hear that my name has been put around.

"Of course, if you ask any player in the national team it would be a great honour.

"Just being part of the national team for so long and to end it this way would be the icing on the cake for me."

The squad had its first training session under Postecoglou in the wet at Kogarah on Tuesday and while some members are yet to arrive in camp Bresciano, who currently plays for Qatari club Al-Gharafa, said the new coach is already putting the players through their paces.

Having been part of the Socceroos set up since making his debut in 2001 Bresciano has been seen numerous coaches at the helm and says there is already a sense of heightened enthusiasm among the squad under Postecoglou.

"We all know that he's a very dedicated coach, he's a winner," the veteran of 72 caps said.

"He loves to play good football, which I think the players are looking forward to because we haven't been playing the best football in the past couple of games.

"It was only a short session this morning with only eight players but you can see already that it was a more intense session and a lot more with the ball which as players we enjoy more.

"The enthusiasm has increased with a new coach coming in which I think was something that we really needed."

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Bresciano in mix for captain socceroo

Post by Red-4-Life »

would only be a short-term solution

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

could be timmy now.....

mike17
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by mike17 »

wouldve been a good choice too

one of the only certain starters that is appropriate

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

that's if he goes to the world cup.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/foo ... 6761601214
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill