Etihad won't re-configure the stadium for OZ v. Jordan 11/6

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Etihad won't re-configure the stadium for OZ v. Jordan 11/6

Post by Con M »

A few of us thinking of going across for the game. Spoke to an operative @ Etihad stadium (03) 8625 7700.

Although they're dragging in the lower grandstands & re-configuring the stadium to a rectangle for the Wallabies v. British Lions game to create good atmosphere on 29/6, they're not doing it for the Socceroos v. Jordan game on Tuesday 11/6.

The Etihad spokesobject buck-passed and said soccer-football fans wanting to see Etihad re-shaped to a rectangle should contact the FFA on (02) 8020 4000. Naturally the FFA spokesobject said her "Events" colleague is 'unable' to take calls on this issue.

The Etihad surface might be in an interesting state too, following the St Kilda v. West Coast aussie rules match there on Sunday evening 9 June.. I wonder if they'll even bother to roll the ground in preparation for this critical World Cup qualifier on Tuesday 11 June?

And Socceroo stars are calling for fans to create an atmosphere like the Japanese fans did in the rectangular Saitama stadium?

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Etihad won't re-configure the stadium for OZ v. Jordan 1

Post by bapa »

good!

as if Etihad would do any favours to the real football!
:lol:

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Well as the lady said. Hassle the FFA. Obviously its a cost issue. Rugby obviously forked out the money to re-configure it. The FFA don't appear to want to spend that cash.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:Well as the lady said. Hassle the FFA. Obviously its a cost issue. Rugby obviously forked out the money to re-configure it. The FFA don't appear to want to spend that cash.
Cost? With the dough they'll make if they sell 40,000 - 50,000 tix?

And why can't you pick up the phone too, Stuckey? The phone numbers to the FFA and Etihad are right there on my first post. Convince them it will make for a more intimidatory atmosphere with the crowd in close, instead of having those wide open expanses of grass if it's left as an oval shape..

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

10,000 to re configure it
ImageImage

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

DOC wrote:10,000 to re configure it
That so Doc? Say 40,000 tix sold @ an average $60 bucks each = $2,400,000.

Money well spent I'd say if the close-in crowd help get OZ over the line..

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Con M wrote:
DOC wrote:10,000 to re configure it
That so Doc? Say 40,000 tix sold @ an average $60 bucks each = $2,400,000.

Money well spent I'd say if the close-in crowd help get OZ over the line..
money to hire stadium? employee costs? player and staff wages? match fees? prob not much left

they did it against oman a few years ago and i think they lost money on the match
ImageImage

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Stuckey wrote:Well as the lady said. Hassle the FFA. Obviously its a cost issue. Rugby obviously forked out the money to re-configure it. The FFA don't appear to want to spend that cash.

And why can't you pick up the phone too, Stuckey? The phone numbers to the FFA and Etihad are right there on my first post. Convince them it will make for a more intimidatory atmosphere with the crowd in close, instead of having those wide open expanses of grass if it's left as an oval shape..
Because I'm not the one having a big fat whinge mate, you are.

They will be lucky to get 35,000 to the game and I would guess based on that the extra cost of the reconfigure isn't a cost effective thing. Etihad is still a pretty good stadium to watch football from without the reconfigure, it could be played at the MCG or Adelaide Oval where fans are barely aware a game is being played!

adelaidebloke
Star Player
Star Player

Post by adelaidebloke »

will be a sell out and ethihad have confirmed on twitter the stadium will be brought in ect.

so all good, they are actually pumping up the game.

im sure it will be in good nick for football on tuesday.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

adelaidebloke wrote:will be a sell out and ethihad have confirmed on twitter the stadium will be brought in ect.

Ah, if so problem solvered.

Now let's put Jordan to the sword. (Football-wise of course, not Crusade-style 'putting to the sword'..).
Last edited by Con M on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Looking forward to this one and then the Iraq game in Sydney, still amazes me that Croydon v Adelaide City gets more interest than 2 crucial World Cup qualifiers there is a real indifference and arrogance from Australian Football fans in Adelaide
Are you Bodo in disguise?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Take one nil win anytime, let's hope it is noisy crowd.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote:Take one nil win anytime, let's hope it is noisy crowd.
Nah, ozzie owl. More than 1-0. 'Roos had had a good performance in Japan. Starting to really get confidence in them again. Plus, get this for the latest Tattsbet odds:

OZ $1.28

Draw $4.75

Jordan $10.00 (!)

bookies always win out in the long run..

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote:

Because I'm not the one having a big fat whinge mate, you are.

They will be lucky to get 35,000 to the game and I would guess based on that the extra cost of the reconfigure isn't a cost effective thing. Etihad is still a pretty good stadium to watch football from without the reconfigure, it could be played at the MCG or Adelaide Oval where fans are barely aware a game is being played!
I wasn't having a dig at you, Stuckey. I was just hoping more people would call and email as well to influence the FFA and Etihad to reconfigure & prepare the AFL ground properly for this crucial game.

Anyhow, you will have been pleased that after the buck-passing, they have caved in and will reconfigure. I even got a positive email response by Gary Moretti, the National Men's Team Manager that the FFA Events Department Manager was getting on to it. (You would have seen on the other post titled "Etihad will be made smaller" confirming that). On a minor note, Gary also agreed that having names on Socceroo players' shirts does help mainstream neutrals identify them better on TV and Gary is definitely organizing that for Tuesday's game.

I'm still hoping that there will be a bigger crowd than 35,000 to help cheer Australia over the line. Certainly the Melbourne papers are surprisingly doing their bit to whip up interest and have even editorialised, echoing what Andrew Gaze was quoted as saying that.."there's a moral obligation for everyone in Australia, whether you like the code or not, to get behind the team". Those sentiments were also echoed by the Victorian Premier and other celebrities and big names, with the notable exception of any AFL spokesobjects.

ps, did you notice on page 104 of today's paper that an Etihad spokesobject has gone defensive and had to assure everyone that the surface will be good after the pounding it will receive on Sunday night by St Kilda and West Coast. Hopefully they'll try to blot out the the AFL field markings, 5 -metre arcs, logos, etc... And get the heavy roller out there to settle the divots and gougings down.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Knight15 wrote:Looking forward to this one and then the Iraq game in Sydney, still amazes me that Croydon v Adelaide City gets more interest than 2 crucial World Cup qualifiers there is a real indifference and arrogance from Australian Football fans in Adelaide
If you're referring to the postponed 18s & Ressies games between Adelaide City and Croydon, I was surprised too that they were re-scheduled for that Tuesday night (4/6) while our country was on a live telecast against Japan.

Also that night a State League club next to my home was in full training, even while the Japan v. Australia telecast was on. And I bet that was being repeated around town with few, if any FFSA & SAASL clubs postponing/shifting training so their players could watch their country's crucial World Cup qualifier.

As for this Tuesday's (11/6) equally crucial World Cup qualifier which kicks off 6.30pm Adelaide time, maybe a few FFSA Premier League clubs will give their players the night off training to watch the Socceroos, seeing 13 of the 14 clubs are involved in Monday's FFSA Cup Round-of-Sixteen...

Certified Nut Case
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Certified Nut Case »

Absolutely. Buses, trains, hospital should also shut down their operations so their staff can watch the game. This country is so backward.
Certified Nut Case supports the Make A Realistic Wish Foundation

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Unfortunately there are too many small minded people with their own self interests to dream of changing or cancelling training. A good coach might get the team together and watch the game but no missing their all important session would be too hard to take

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Certified Nut Case wrote:Absolutely. Buses, trains, hospital should also shut down their operations so their staff can watch the game.
Now you may be exaggerating that cynicism a bit, Certified Nut Case.

Whilst true that few of the majority mainstream population will tune in to the game, I still find it sad that not even many of our local soccer-football FFSA & Amateur clubs can postpone or shift one night's training so their players can watch their Country's crucial World Cup qualifier..

Spätlese
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Spätlese »

Mothers' day is much more important. Don't get me started on greek easter
shiraz champagne.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Certified Nut Case wrote:Absolutely. Buses, trains, hospital should also shut down their operations so their staff can watch the game.

Whilst true that few of the majority mainstream population will tune in to the game, I still find it sad that not even many of our local soccer-football FFSA & Amateur clubs can postpone or shift one night's training so their players can watch their Country's crucial World Cup qualifier..
I think there is a fairly large difference between a NPL club re-scheduling training and an SAASL side doing it. Personally I would skip training to watch it!
But I agree it would be a great team building exercise to skip a training session and head down to the pub that is hopefully sponsoring your club and spend a bit of cash.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:
Con M wrote:

I think there is a fairly large difference between a NPL club re-scheduling training and an SAASL side doing it. Personally I would skip training to watch it!
But I agree it would be a great team building exercise to skip a training session and head down to the pub that is hopefully sponsoring your club and spend a bit of cash.
Nah, Stuckey. IMO even the SAASL participants, who love playing the game but don't watch or support OZ soccer-football have a sort of moral obligation to forgo a night's kick-about training to watch THEIR Country's crucial World Cup qualifier.

As for your point about watching the game together on a local sponsor pub's 6.30pm Fox telecast, I agree.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote: Nah, Stuckey. IMO even the SAASL participants, who love playing the game but don't watch or support OZ soccer-football have a sort of moral obligation to forgo a night's kick-about training to watch THEIR Country's crucial World Cup qualifier.

As for your point about watching the game together on a local sponsor pub's 6.30pm Fox telecast, I agree.
Those people are just a highlight of the work that still is needed to be done by the FFA, sure they may be part of the footballing family due to being players ask them to name a socceroos starting 11 and once they mention Neill, Cahill and Kewell they'd be struggling for names. The FFA needs to engage these people and get them passionate about watching football not just playing it.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

looked odd last night. had the sides in but not behind the goals.

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

adelaidebloke wrote:will be a sell out and ethihad have confirmed on twitter the stadium will be brought in ect.

Tried booking tickets this morning (yes, last minute on a whim decision!)... Can't get 3 seats together except in Section A ($90 per person, no discount for child ticket), which was still in the top tier, row 11....
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

redmum wrote:

Tried booking tickets this morning (yes, last minute on a whim decision!)... Can't get 3 seats together except in Section A ($90 per person, no discount for child ticket), which was still in the top tier, row 11....

this morning?????

game was played last night

George Gotzías
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by George Gotzías »

bubu wrote:this morning?????
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rocket Science isn't all that it's cracked up to be

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

redmum wrote:

I can sell you our 3 tickets, only $50 each, great views of 3 out of the 4 goals - cost price was $90 (only one previous owner)

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

George Gotzias wrote:
Sorry blonde moment...
I meant Sydney.... :roll: :lol:
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

redmum wrote:

Try again, found 3 together with a kids ticket Category B , about $145 all up!

Bodø's Publicist
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Bodø's Publicist »

redmum wrote:
George Gotzias wrote:
Sorry blonde moment...
I meant Sydney.... :roll: :lol:
You may be in Sydney but the game was still played last night.
R.I.P
Stuff And Stuff About Stuff