Japan v Australia

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Japan v Australia

Post by ozzie owl »

Very entertaining first half , pity Kruse couldn't take his chance and great save by Schwarzer.

give us a break
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Japan v Australia

Post by give us a break »

They are defending surprisingly well. I hope they can keep it up.
Sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to be a complete fool. - Voltaire

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Great effort if we keep that intensity should do the last 2 easy
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Farrrrrrk me :evil: 1 point better than none but 3 points would have the qualifying campaign all but done. On a separate matter Jordan defeated nz in nz tonight in a friendly.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Best performance in a long time but a massive 2 points dropped...ffs Mckay :oops:

Have to win both home games now to qualify to avoid having to rely on other results

LonsdaleBologna
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by LonsdaleBologna »

ozzie owl wrote:Very entertaining first half , pity Kruse couldn't take his chance and great save by Schwarzer.
That was a terrific save by Japan's keeper. Anyone know why kruse thought it was a free? He was pleading with the ref and it looked like he actually said to the ref "please give me a free kick. Please"

What did he really expect the ref to say?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Oman won 1-0 last night which means the Aussies MUST win there last 2 games and still hope other results go our way, faaaaaark it 90th minute goals suck shite

Teams P W D L GF GA GD PTS
JAPAN 7 4 2 1 15 5 10 14
OMAN 7 2 3 2 7 9 -2 9
AUSTRALIA 6 1 4 1 7 7 0 7
JORDAN 6 2 1 3 6 12 -6 7
IRAQ 6 1 2 3 4 6 -2 5

Remaining Games

11-06-2013 19:00 AUSTRALIA 19:00 JORDAN
Venue: Docklands Stadium, Melbourne

11-06-2013 17:30 IRAQ 17:30 JAPAN
Venue: Al Arabi Stadium, Doha

18-06-2013 19:30 AUSTRALIA 19:30 IRAQ
Venue: Stadium Australia, Sydney

18-06-2013 19:00 JORDAN 19:00 OMAN
Venue: King Abdullah International Stadium, Amman

FK Partizan
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by FK Partizan »

Epic effort by our boys!! 89min what tha ?? Went to crack another beer to celebrate then .......
"At last England have appointed a manager who speaks English better than the players" - On the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson.

George Gotzías
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by George Gotzías »

Rookie wrote:Oman won 1-0 last night which means the Aussies MUST win there last 2 games and still hope other results go our way,
Don't need to rely on other games, they just need to win theirs.
Rocket Science isn't all that it's cracked up to be

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

LonsdaleBologna wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Very entertaining first half , pity Kruse couldn't take his chance and great save by Schwarzer.
That was a terrific save by Japan's keeper. Anyone know why kruse thought it was a free? He was pleading with the ref and it looked like he actually said to the ref "please give me a free kick. Please"

What did he really expect the ref to say?
Think he thought the defender that cleared it might have brushed the ball with his arm.....but he seems to start appealing before that happened :?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

ADEL.GOONERS
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ADEL.GOONERS »

i was impressed by the way they didnt just hoof the ball out of defence, they almost found a player everytime, he had a good game but it looked like a dumb thing to do for the hand ball

ADEL.GOONERS
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ADEL.GOONERS »

George Gotzias wrote:
Rookie wrote:Oman won 1-0 last night which means the Aussies MUST win there last 2 games and still hope other results go our way,
Don't need to rely on other games, they just need to win theirs.
yeah oman only have one game left ,we have two games left

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Really impressed with Bresc game last night, waht a BIG difference the team looks like with him fit!

Vidosic should of come on alot more sooner, and played Kruse in place of Hollman who was pathetic!
Kruse should of scored, but he was not at his his best
defence did very well, and Mark saved the Aus bacon, again

Fudpucker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Fudpucker »

bubu wrote:Really impressed with Bresc game last night, waht a BIG difference the team looks like with him fit!

Vidosic should of come on alot more sooner, and played Kruse in place of Hollman who was pathetic!
What game were you watching. Holman had a great first half. Two brilliant through balls to put Kruse in on goal. One which was saved by the keeper and the other Kruse left the ball behind. Clearly Holman was only ever going to have 50-60 minutes in him but his workrate in that first half was very good.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

bubu wrote:Really impressed with Bresc game last night, waht a BIG difference the team looks like with him fit!

Schwartzer's job is to do that as was Japan's keeper's job to do likewise....

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

should HAVE.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Fudpucker wrote:

Vidosic should of come on alot more sooner, and played Kruse in place of Hollman who was pathetic!Kruse should of scored, but he was not at his his best
What game were you watching. Holman had a great first half. Two brilliant through balls to put Kruse in on goal. One which was saved by the keeper and the other Kruse left the ball behind. Clearly Holman was only ever going to have 50-60 minutes in him but his workrate in that first half was very good.
Wouldn't say he was pathetic but Just before he came off the commentator (Slater?) said he was leading the points for best player???? 25 of us at the pub looked at each other and said WTF....Didn't think much of his game TBH...Bresc along with schwarto was outstanding...The Defence were fantastic, no hoofing and played it out under some heavy pressure.

best I have seen the Roos play for awhile.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Steve#4 wrote:
Fudpucker wrote:

Vidosic should of come on alot more sooner, and played Kruse in place of Hollman who was pathetic!Kruse should of scored, but he was not at his his best
Wouldn't say he was pathetic but Just before he came off the commentator (Slater?) said he was leading the points for best player???? 25 of us at the pub looked at each other and said WTF....Didn't think much of his game TBH...Bresc along with schwarto was outstanding...The Defence were fantastic, no hoofing and played it out under some heavy pressure.

best I have seen the Roos play for awhile.
+1.

At home though we'll have to push up and attack more, so Neill and the Ogre will have to watch the ball played over the top of them on the counter and be prepared to sprint back.

What a pity about McKay's handball - he had cover behind him when the low cross came in..

ps, had to admire Japan's Honda & Kagawa and the Saitama stadium white-hot atmosphere. Hope we can replicate that atmosphere at Etihad and they reconfigure the moveable stands to rectangular.

give us a break
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by give us a break »

I thought this was a very entertaining, thrilling match to watch.
Clearly, Australia conceded before the kick-off that they wouldn't be able to match Japan on the skill level - and rightly so. Japan are great to watch they only need to become a bit more clinical in front of goal. I haven't seen the possession statistics for this match but I guess it was close to 70:30 %.
The Ozzies were always dangerous on the counter attack, however, to win the remaining two games they will have to make the game, have to be much more aggressive and therefore are prone themselves to counter attacks. I wonder whether the team has the class to act, as opposed to react.
BTW I thought the referee had a great game - close to best on ground IMO.
Sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to be a complete fool. - Voltaire

ADEL.GOONERS
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ADEL.GOONERS »

yeah good point ,was talking to a few mates and they all said the ref was great and was spot on with most calls and let the game flow

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

swannsong wrote:

Schwartzer's job is to do that as was Japan's keeper's job to do likewise....

if u kick it straight to them, then yes!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Hollman had a poor night and looked stuffed by the 50th minute.

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

looks like Oman are going to Brazil

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

ozzie owl wrote:Hollman had a poor night and looked stuffed by the 50th minute.
Once again Holger playing players not match fit. He was good in the first half.

Very surprised with the game. IMO that is probably as good as we could possibly play given the fitness of some players. Happy to see Kruse and Oar given a chance together. Bres was MOTM for me pure class in the midfield. Brosque played as well as he usually did but from a different position.
Neill is still a liability I would have rathered see Oga play with Thwaite.
What is with Australia and crossing? It seems like not one player is capable of delivering one, maybe playing Dario out wide could be an option as well know he can, but I can't complain too much as one of those lousy crosses got us our goal.

One more win, Oman lose their last game and we're off to Brazil! I'm excited but yet I still can't shake the feeling we're setting ourselves up for a massive de-pantsing.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Excuse my ignorance as I didn't see the first 30 minutes or so, but many have rated Bresciano as b.o.g. yet I didn't see much outstanding from him in the final 60 minutes :?

rulebritannia
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rulebritannia »

Stuckey wrote: What is with Australia and crossing?

well if the average Australian player cannot weight or direct a pass how could you expect them to deliver an accurate cross?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

swannsong wrote:Excuse my ignorance as I didn't see the first 30 minutes or so, but many have rated Bresciano as b.o.g. yet I didn't see much outstanding from him in the final 60 minutes :?
Spot on Swanny. Bresh started well but sort of disappeared. Or that brilliant pair (Honda and Kagawa) hogged the ball.

Solid performance of the team, but we're not out of the woods yet. Jordan and Iraq CAN play. Just hope they travel badly to the far-away land down-under, the arse-end of the World as Paul keating would say..

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:
swannsong wrote:Excuse my ignorance as I didn't see the first 30 minutes or so, but many have rated Bresciano as b.o.g. yet I didn't see much outstanding from him in the final 60 minutes :?
Spot on Swanny. Bresh started well but sort of disappeared. Or that brilliant pair (Honda and Kagawa) hogged the ball.

Solid performance of the team, but we're not out of the woods yet. Jordan and Iraq CAN play. Just hope they travel badly to the far-away land down-under, the arse-end of the World as Paul keating would say..
The Aussie midfield started well but faded as they tired ,playing the price or selecting players like Holman with little game time in their legs.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Con M wrote:

Apparently the FFA didnt send a support person to help get Jordan through the airport as they were supposed too, we've come along way in 10 years!!

Fk them, in the past we would have rolled out a red carpet and had limo's waiting then complained when the Socceroo's travel and get picked up by donkey and cart and jostled through the airport by fanatic football fans in their country.

Apparently they were tied up (not literally but hey there's a thought for next time) for over 2 hours, it all counts, the atitude that they are coming to take something from us is here, brilliant.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

paul merson wrote:Apparently the FFA didnt send a support person to help get Jordan through the airport as they were supposed too, we've come along way in 10 years!!
We have finally learnt from Uruguay 2001! I never understood the whole roll out the red carpet for foreign sides. As you said shiraz em!