...Ghana vs Australia ............all the LATEST NEWS

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ...Ghana vs Australia ............all the LATEST NEWS

Post by admin »

I suspect this is taken moments after the ball has hit - the ball is heading towards the sideline. It looks like the ball is rotating to the left - but it is hard to tell.

Also the players shot was taken from pretty much straight in front of Kewell and the ball is clearly rotating sideways - so most likely this is the moments after the ball has hit Kewell. Either that or the ball ran up his arm and into his shoulder - but it did not look like that happened on the video.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

in truth, Harry should have had his hands behind his back as soon as he saw the cross come in

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

TOPGUN-JIMMY-AUFC wrote:was a red dard as slow motion shows it slid onto arm...

bad luck harry 2010 wolfull yr for socceroos an 2 red cards to the best 2 capitanol an vice..

wow.....2 reds ....

we can not go thru, get it right.......we will not go thru!
doesnt matter what any 1 says....

serbs an ganna only need a draw an we dead,

although goal differnce ......they need to get smashed, no harry an crap coach.....we going no where!
what have you been drinking :?: :oops: :shock:
I think I know who's smashed.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

admin wrote:SMH poll on the decision:

9% spot on
26% unlucky
65% harsh

21000 votes.
A couple of other polls went unreported....

100% all foreigners are cheats
0% you can always trust a foreigner

What code do you normally follow?

Rugby 56%
AFL 40%
Football 4%

21000 votes.
Time for some righteous indignation

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: ...Ghana vs Australia ..tonite...........all the LATEST NEWS

Post by COLOSSUS »

admin wrote:We have now been on the receiving end of four questionable but quite significant decisions in a row plus a dubious referee performance in our last five World Cup games.

1. Kewell send off - questionable if it was deliberate
2. Cahill send off - questionable decision - soft red card
3. Italy penalty in 2006 - proven to be a dive - questionable decision that decided the game and also allowed the eventual winners to continue in the tournament when they could have been knocked out.
4. Famous Poll incident awarding Simunic three yellow cards in one game - Poll sent home.
5. Australia v Brasil - German referee Merk was widely criticised for his very pro Brasil performance. Had followed up with another shocker in his next game and did not referee another game at the World Cup despite being regarded as the no2 referee in the World.

Just to show the injustice of it all - compare Kewell's handball to that of Vidic in the Serbia v Germany game. Vidic's was a quite deliberate handball - diving with an outstretched hand - penalty awarded and Vidic gets a yellow - Kewell could do nothing - ball was smashed at him from only maybe 4m away - he coulnt move if he tried - ball hammers into his right should and arm - penalty awarded and straight red.

Cahill sent off for a tackle from behind in which he attempted to pull out in game versus Germany. Lee Addy of Ghana clatters into Bresciano from behind - makes no attempt to pull out - a far worse tackle - gets a yellow card.

There is inconsistency in the decisions and the Socceroos always seem to be on the wrong end of the decisions.
Some of you people are unbelievable, seriously. Admin, get a grip here mate. How could Kewells red be questionable if it were deliberate??? That sounds so ridiculously stupid, that it aint funny. Kewells arm (as is clearly seen in replays and todays front page of the Sunday Mail) clearly shows Kewells arm (the one he handled the ball with) away from his body. One only has to look at where his other arm is to see that the offending one has made contact deliberately. Its the clearest red card for hand ball of all time. To then compare it admin, to that one of Vidic in the Germany game is also ridiculous. Did Vidic stop the ball going into the net??? No. Was there even a German player within his vicinity??? No. I dont even know what Vidic was thinking to be honest, there was nobody but his 2 of his own players around him. He should be sent off by his own coach for stupidity, but goodness me his handball and that of Kewells are so different its like comparing apples with oranges. If you want to blame anyone for the Kewell red card, then first blame would be laid on Wilkshire for his poor defending, 2nd blame on Emerton for his pathetic backing up of Wilkshire, and 3rd blame on the red card boy himself Kewell for his deliberate hand ball, because even if he had let the ball go in and therefor stay on the park, Australia would have easily won that game in my opinion. The referee didnt have a great game and i agree that his decision not to red card the Ghanaian player who slide tackled Bresciano from behind was horrendous, but the fact is that he got Kewells red card correct, and there are 3 Aussie players who should be spoken about before we blame the Italian referee for that decision, simple :arrow:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

admin wrote:Image

I suspect this is taken moments after the ball has hit - the ball is heading towards the sideline. It looks like the ball is rotating to the left - but it is hard to tell.

Also the players shot was taken from pretty much straight in front of Kewell and the ball is clearly rotating sideways - so most likely this is the moments after the ball has hit Kewell. Either that or the ball ran up his arm and into his shoulder - but it did not look like that happened on the video.
That is precisely the moment his arm made contact with the ball. Have a look at the non offending arm and then tell me why his offending arm isnt as close to his body as the Non-offending one??? :wink: Red card every day of the week, fully deserved and Australia can now start building its future without Mssr Kewell because this World Cup is over and was over before it began thanks to some inept coaching :arrow:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

Firstly very proud of Australia the support was unbelievable and the team did us proud. I'm far from a Pim fan but thought he got it right tonight. We still have hope wiith so many upsets and Australia will have a huge support again. Personally I think Germany will spank a very poor Ghana. The penalty was a penalty because the referee gave it let's not spoil what was a great Australian effort but debating the point. A win against Serbia should be our only focus

Oh and watching the hopeless English getting done!

sulmona
Star Player
Star Player

Post by sulmona »

admin wrote:On reflection:

* great performance by the Socceroos
* unlucky to have a penalty awarded against them
* lack of good fortune compounded by the red card which swung the game in favour of Ghana
* Ghana fortunate to have 11 players on the field for the full game
* If Australia had taken its chances it would have beaten GhanaAustralia would have won this game with 11 players.

To do well in tournaments a team needs a bit of good fortune and its just not happening for the Socceroos in South Africa. But we are not the only team in this situation.

I dont really mean the following statement - it is just an expression of my frustration - but maybe Australia should roll over against Serbia so that it ensures that Ghana does not make the next round and FIFA does not get any African team through to the next stage that it so desperately wants for this tournament.
this is what we need to concentrate on. the rest is irrelevant

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

COLOSSUS wrote:

That is precisely the moment his arm made contact with the ball. Have a look at the non offending arm and then tell me why his offending arm isnt as close to his body as the Non-offending one??? :wink: Red card every day of the week, fully deserved and Australia can now start building its future without Mssr Kewell because this World Cup is over and was over before it began thanks to some inept coaching :arrow:
I have checked the video and this is not the moment the ball hit his arm. The ball actually clips his shoulder and then is then deflected down into his bicep. We are starting to split hairs but I will post some more shots a little later today.

First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by 10 »

COLOSSUS wrote:

precisely the moment the ball made contact? did you even watch the game? that picture was after the ball made contact with his arm, not at the point of impact. look at the videos. i'd like to see you keep your arm by your side having had a ball rocketed into it with that much power :wink: .

correct me if i am wrong, but i am fairly sure admin is saying it was NOT deliberate. clearest red card for hand ball of all time? mate if that is your honest belief you're cooked off your tits, and even more stupid than what you portray yourself to be on here ( :shock: ). maybe watch the Vidic incident again, he RAISED HIS ARM ABOVE HIS HEAD, IN THE PENALTY BOX - there was a German player behind him, not directly, but he was in the vicinity. again, have a look at the footage properly before you comment.

looking at positives - Schwarzer played an absolute blinder
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt" - Bill Shankly

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

admin wrote:
COLOSSUS wrote:

I have checked the video and this is not the moment the ball hit his arm. The ball actually clips his shoulder and then is then deflected down into his bicep. We are starting to split hairs but I will post some more shots a little later today.
correct, but still a red

winzor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by winzor »

Loppermann wrote:in truth, Harry should have had his hands behind his back as soon as he saw the cross come in
I've never seen players guarding the goal line with their hands behind their back... don't think I've ever done that in all my years as a player- yet never made any handballs. It's more instinctive to try and stick your head in the way of a shot to block it.....

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

COLOSSUS wrote:
admin wrote:We have now been on the receiving end of four questionable but quite significant decisions in a row plus a dubious referee performance in our last five World Cup games.

1. Kewell send off - questionable if it was deliberate
2. Cahill send off - questionable decision - soft red card
3. Italy penalty in 2006 - proven to be a dive - questionable decision that decided the game and also allowed the eventual winners to continue in the tournament when they could have been knocked out.
4. Famous Poll incident awarding Simunic three yellow cards in one game - Poll sent home.
5. Australia v Brasil - German referee Merk was widely criticised for his very pro Brasil performance. Had followed up with another shocker in his next game and did not referee another game at the World Cup despite being regarded as the no2 referee in the World.

Just to show the injustice of it all - compare Kewell's handball to that of Vidic in the Serbia v Germany game. Vidic's was a quite deliberate handball - diving with an outstretched hand - penalty awarded and Vidic gets a yellow - Kewell could do nothing - ball was smashed at him from only maybe 4m away - he coulnt move if he tried - ball hammers into his right should and arm - penalty awarded and straight red.

Cahill sent off for a tackle from behind in which he attempted to pull out in game versus Germany. Lee Addy of Ghana clatters into Bresciano from behind - makes no attempt to pull out - a far worse tackle - gets a yellow card.

There is inconsistency in the decisions and the Socceroos always seem to be on the wrong end of the decisions.
Some of you people are unbelievable, seriously. Admin, get a grip here mate. How could Kewells red be questionable if it were deliberate??? That sounds so ridiculously stupid, that it aint funny. Kewells arm (as is clearly seen in replays and todays front page of the Sunday Mail) clearly shows Kewells arm (the one he handled the ball with) away from his body. One only has to look at where his other arm is to see that the offending one has made contact deliberately. Its the clearest red card for hand ball of all time. To then compare it admin, to that one of Vidic in the Germany game is also ridiculous. Did Vidic stop the ball going into the net??? No. Was there even a German player within his vicinity??? No. I dont even know what Vidic was thinking to be honest, there was nobody but his 2 of his own players around him. He should be sent off by his own coach for stupidity, but goodness me his handball and that of Kewells are so different its like comparing apples with oranges. If you want to blame anyone for the Kewell red card, then first blame would be laid on Wilkshire for his poor defending, 2nd blame on Emerton for his pathetic backing up of Wilkshire, and 3rd blame on the red card boy himself Kewell for his deliberate hand ball, because even if he had let the ball go in and therefor stay on the park, Australia would have easily won that game in my opinion. The referee didnt have a great game and i agree that his decision not to red card the Ghanaian player who slide tackled Bresciano from behind was horrendous, but the fact is that he got Kewells red card correct, and there are 3 Aussie players who should be spoken about before we blame the Italian referee for that decision, simple :arrow:
Sorry but it is a questionable decision. The fact that everyone is questioning the decision by definition makes it a questionable decision.

You have a different opinion on the matter and I respect that but I dont think you are unbelievable. I just think you have a different viewpoint. I am entitled to express my viewpoint.

"the clearest red card hand ball of all time" - I dont think so.

The comparision with Vidic is about intent - Vidic has extended his arm and dived towards the ball - the ball is going away from Vidic who extends his arm out - hand to ball - clear intent - Harry has had the ball belted at him from 3-4m away - hit straight at him - Harry is turning to face the ball and the ball - tries to get his shoulder to the ball - not his hand - has come off his shoulder/bicep - and it is questionable if it was intentional hand ball. If you think Vidic's handball was not intentional then I cant see how you can claim that Kewell's was intentional!!!.

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dinozoff »

My 2 cents = yellow card and a penalty.
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

dinozoff wrote:My 2 cents = yellow card and a penalty.
then your two cents is horribly horribly wrong...
explain to me how it can possibly be a yellow card?
if it is judged to be intentional hand ball, it is a red card and a penalty
if it is judged to be unintentional, it is play on
there is nothing in the laws of the game that allow a yellow card and a penalty to be given in this instance

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

winzor wrote:
Loppermann wrote:in truth, Harry should have had his hands behind his back as soon as he saw the cross come in
I've never seen players guarding the goal line with their hands behind their back... don't think I've ever done that in all my years as a player- yet never made any handballs. It's more instinctive to try and stick your head in the way of a shot to block it.....
instincitve or not, you may not have the time to do it
you see most top defenders keep their hands behind their back when at all possible when they're in their own box

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

I do not see this as an option

the referee has two options:

1. if he thought it was deliberate, then he must enforce law 12 and award a penalty and a red card

2. if he thought it was not deliberate, then it is play on, no penalty, no red card, no yellow card

the ref saw it as deliberate and followed the right procedure

Petro83
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Petro83 »

are we the unluckiest team out there? 2006 will be remembered for that "penalty" against the port italians and now this wc will be remembered for those 2 "soft" red cards.
a win against serbia and i will be happy with our wc, we were in a tough group, if we get out of the group then that would the greatest ever escape ever, would be a miracle, but a win against serbia will restore pride even more than last nights top effort.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by totsreds08 »

agreed. you always see profesionals in europe do it. no need to have your arms out like that

Barney Rubble
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Barney Rubble »

koproskilo wrote:
I do not see this as an option

the referee has two options:

1. if he thought it was deliberate, then he must enforce law 12 and award a penalty and a red card

2. if he thought it was not deliberate, then it is play on, no penalty, no red card, no yellow card

the ref saw it as deliberate and followed the right procedure

Ok thanks for that,

after reading 3 pages items 1 & 2 are the options, black v's white.

Same as head v's tails.

Agreed it is painfull to take and i would prefer option 3, yellow card and a penalty but it isn't in the equation.

The ref had a fraction of a second and he is not a bloody robot and has no chance of a replay or 4th official, but this is a forum and we are all entitled to express our opinions.

Now you will know why i don't own a cat :wink:
Without ammunition, the Air Force is just an expensive flying club

First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by 10 »

has to be either a red, or nothing. yellow would be a nothing decision.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt" - Bill Shankly

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

admin wrote:Sorry but it is a questionable decision. The fact that everyone is questioning the decision by definition makes it a questionable decision.
Nothing questionable about it, look at the picture you posted, and answer why his NON-offending hand is by his side but his offending hand is well away from his body compared to the non-offending one??? Easy, because he wanted to make contact with the ball and thats exactly what he did. Nothing questionable about it, straight red and penalty, easiest decision the ref had to make last night :wink:
You have a different opinion on the matter and I respect that but I dont think you are unbelievable. I just think you have a different viewpoint. I am entitled to express my viewpoint.
Where did i say i didnt respect your opinion??? I just said that its unbelievable that anyone could basically not agree that this was a red card. If you were a neutral in last nights game, you wouldnt be questioning anything, thats the truth of it all. I definitely do not agree with your opinion, but i also never stated i disnt respect it or you werent entitled to it :wink:
"the clearest red card hand ball of all time" - I dont think so.
You may not think so, but i know so. Its so blatantly obvious, only a minority of Australian football supporters wouldnt think so :arrow:
The comparision with Vidic is about intent - Vidic has extended his arm and dived towards the ball - the ball is going away from Vidic who extends his arm out - hand to ball - clear intent - Harry has had the ball belted at him from 3-4m away - hit straight at him - Harry is turning to face the ball and the ball - tries to get his shoulder to the ball - not his hand - has come off his shoulder/bicep - and it is questionable if it was intentional hand ball. If you think Vidic's handball was not intentional then I cant see how you can claim that Kewell's was intentional!!!.
Did Vidic stop a goal bound or goal scoring opportunity??? No, he actually created one for no reason the idiot and if i were coach id be livid with him for that reason alone, that Germany were never going to score from that ball until Vidic decided to give them a free chance :wink: The fact that it didnt stop a goal bound ball or a goal scoring opportunity tells me that comparing the 2 would be like comparing apples with oranges and i stand by that, its a no brainer really. Yes they were both intentional but one ball was going in the back of the net while the other was heading for the sideline for a Serbian throw in, a massive difference i would of thought :D

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

10 wrote:
COLOSSUS wrote:

precisely the moment the ball made contact? did you even watch the game? that picture was after the ball made contact with his arm, not at the point of impact. look at the videos. i'd like to see you keep your arm by your side having had a ball rocketed into it with that much power :wink: .

correct me if i am wrong, but i am fairly sure admin is saying it was NOT deliberate. clearest red card for hand ball of all time? mate if that is your honest belief you're cooked off your tits, and even more stupid than what you portray yourself to be on here ( :shock: ). maybe watch the Vidic incident again, he RAISED HIS ARM ABOVE HIS HEAD, IN THE PENALTY BOX - there was a German player behind him, not directly, but he was in the vicinity. again, have a look at the footage properly before you comment.

looking at positives - Schwarzer played an absolute blinder
I cant take this pisstake from you seriously because anyone who thinks there was a German player within the vicinity of that ball is really just taking the piss, watch it again vre vlaka :roll: :arrow:

Dingo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Dingo »

I spoke to a senior referee today. He said it wasnt a penalty and it should have been play on.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Dingo wrote:I spoke to a senior referee today. He said it wasnt a penalty and it should have been play on.
going by the senior referees in this country, then Rosetti made the right call

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

If I felt the need to blab on for 5 pages I would say "Col Your tripping after reading your take on the incident" but since I couldn't be bothered I wil keep my opinin to myself.

Harvester
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Harvester »

FIFA are not happy with the performance of the referees in South Africa.

Rosetti has been told to attend a meeting with FIFA on Monday to discuss his performance. FIFA are not happy.

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

Jeez, the TRIPLE punishment of red card, penalty AND suspension is harsh.

No wonder the old codgers at the British-dominated Laws Board, the International FA Board (I.F.A.B.), were reviewing this law.

I still think their original idea was to punish the last defender (denying a goal-scoring opportunity) with a yellow card and penalty in the box, and a free-kick and red card outside the box (because just a free-kick and yellow card outside the box was insufficient).

ps, why are so many inglorious cherry forumites bored with debating the unintended consequences of this law?

reflex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reflex »

Who killed JFK?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

admin wrote:
BADA BING wrote:here we go again lets blame the eyetalians for the aussies demise, it was red simple as that he was on the line stopped the ball from going in deliberate or not, i feel sorry for harry but thats life, the boys can hold their heads up high coz they showed some real grit and determination BUT please lets not have a repeat of 06 whinging, again if those 2 midfielders had cleared the ball before the cross came in its a different ball game.
Incorrect - it has to be deliberate hand ball in the opinion of the referee.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower