Asian Cup Draw

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Asian Cup Draw

Post by Red-4-Life »

taking place tonight...not sure of the exact time.

If anyone finds out who we draw in our group, please post :)

andy
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Asian Cup Draw

Post by andy »

from www.the-afc.com

Group C
C1. Korea Republic
C2. India
C3. Australia
C4. Bahrain

Match Day 1
Korea Republic v Bahrain, India v Australia

Match Day 2
Bahrain v India, Australia v Korea Republic

Match Day 3
Korea Republic v India, Australia v Bahrain

Group A
A1. Qatar
A2. Kuwait
A3. China
A4. Uzbekistan

Group B
B1. Saudi Arabia
B2. Japan
B3. Jordan
B4. Syria

Group D
D1. Iraq
D2. DPR Korea
D3. UAE
D4. Iran

the_gun
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by the_gun »

wow india... never played them before. should be interesting.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

South Korea obviously our biggest test on paper, but if we dont have a full strength team...it will be interesting to see if we can get out of the group. I think we can beat India with a 2nd string team, Bahrain will be tougher as we've seen from experience. And why is the Asian Cup in January? Do the AFC know we have our best players overseas and most likely wont be released so they know Australia wont be full strength? If Australia dont win it, he Cup will be a success in the eyes of the AFC.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Red-4-Life wrote:South Korea obviously our biggest test on paper, but if we dont have a full strength team...it will be interesting to see if we can get out of the group. I think we can beat India with a 2nd string team, Bahrain will be tougher as we've seen from experience. And why is the Asian Cup in January? Do the AFC know we have our best players overseas and most likely wont be released so they know Australia wont be full strength? If Australia dont win it, he Cup will be a success in the eyes of the AFC.
the African teams get their players released for the ACON, so I don't see why the Europeans can't release their Asians as well
hell, we only play our tournament once every 4 years, Africa have one every year
would be pretty unfair and hypocritical to let African players go but not Asian ones

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

Loppermann wrote:
Red-4-Life wrote:South Korea obviously our biggest test on paper, but if we dont have a full strength team...it will be interesting to see if we can get out of the group. I think we can beat India with a 2nd string team, Bahrain will be tougher as we've seen from experience. And why is the Asian Cup in January? Do the AFC know we have our best players overseas and most likely wont be released so they know Australia wont be full strength? If Australia dont win it, he Cup will be a success in the eyes of the AFC.
the African teams get their players released for the ACON, so I don't see why the Europeans can't release their Asians as well
hell, we only play our tournament once every 4 years, Africa have one every year
would be pretty unfair and hypocritical to let African players go but not Asian ones
Agreed, FFA need to get involved!

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Red-4-Life wrote:
Loppermann wrote:
Agreed, FFA need to get involved!
shouldn't it be the AFC that need to get involved?
I've heard somewhere that the Asian Cup is a FIFA sactioned tournament, so that means players have to be released for it

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

yeah true...

but do the AFC want Australia to be full strength? No because Australia winning the Asian Cup would be a disaster for them because "we shouldnt be in the AFC".

But lets hope we get the boys from europe in the squad, i'll be very confident of winning the cup if we do

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

Red-4-Life wrote:yeah true...

but do the AFC want Australia to be full strength? No because Australia winning the Asian Cup would be a disaster for them because "we shouldnt be in the AFC".

But lets hope we get the boys from europe in the squad, i'll be very confident of winning the cup if we do
conspiracy theories aside, we're not the only team with star players in Europe
South Korea have Park Ji-Sung, Park Chu-Young and Lee Chung-Young, Japan have Honda and one or two others, China have Hao and Iran have Teymourian at Fulham

Echo & The Bunnymen
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Echo & The Bunnymen »

Loppermann wrote:hell, we only play our tournament once every 4 years, Africa have one every year
Every two years.
Everybody's got their own good reason why their favorite season is their favorite season

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

Loppermann wrote:the African teams get their players released for the ACON, so I don't see why the Europeans can't release their Asians as well
:lol:

The whole world hates Australia.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.