Burns & Djite left out of Olyroos for Olympics!

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

No Clever Alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Burns & Djite left out of Olyroos for Olympics!

Post by No Clever Alias »

From the World Game:

Australian Under 23 coach Graham Arnold has named his 18-man squad for the 2008 Olympic Games Men's Football Tournament in which there is no place for Bruce Djite or Nathan Burns - while Harry Kewell, who has joined Turkish champions Galatasaray, will not be one of the three overage players.

The three overage players are defender Jade North, wide-man David Carney and Melbourne Victory striker Archie Thompson. Nine A-League players have been selected with defender Mark Milligan and winger James Troisi both currently without a club.

Genclerbirligi-bound forward Djite has not made the cut depite being a regular squad member with the Socceroos under Pim Verbeek while AEK Athens signing Burns has missed selection, despite many good judged rating him the country's most promising young attacker.

Olyroos squad: Mark Bridge (Sydney FC), David Carney (Sheffield United, England), Billy Celeski (Melbourne Victory), Adam Federici (GK, Reading, England), Neil Kilkenny (Leeds United, England), Adrian Leijer (Fulham Athletic, England), Trent McClenahan (Hereford United, England), Mark Milligan (uncontracted), Stuart Musialik (Sydney FC), Nikita Rukavytsya (Perth Glory), Kristian Sarkies (Adelaide United), Matthew Spiranovic (FC Nurnberg, Germany), Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Perth Glory), James Troisi (uncontracted), Tando Velaphi (GK, Perth Glory), Ruben Zadkovich (Derby County, England), Jade North (Newcastle Jets), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory).

"It was a difficult job selecting the team,” Arnold said. “I had a look not only at current form of the players but their form right through the qualification campaign.”

“The three overage players will bring both attacking and strong defence to the team."

Troisi is the youngest member of the squad at 19.

“I’m excited and really looking forward to being an Olympian,” Troisi said. “We’ve got a good squad and it’s going to be a great experience.”

On the other side of the scale, Newcastle Jets skipper North can't wait for his chance in Beijing after also representing his country in Athens four years ago.

“It is a real honour to be picked to go to Beijing,” he said.

“I can’t wait to start training with them and get over there. I really hope to go in and lead by example for the younger players.”
Again from The World Game:

Olyroos coach Graham Arnold had one simple explanation for dumping young stars Nathan Burns and Bruce Djite from his squad for Beijing: they can't handle the heat.

The Australian 18-member squad that will face Serbia, Argentina and Cote d'Ivoire in the Olympics in August was announced Friday but there was no place for the former Adelaide United pair who will play in Europe after signing for AEK Athens of Greece and Genclerbirligi of Turkey respectively.

"The selection policy took into account the players' form over the two years I've been working with them,'' Arnold said.

"If there's one thing I've learned from playing in Asia it's that if players can't play in the heat, they can't play in the heat, no matter who they are.

"You can take them away for two months and still they can't acclimatise. You've got to be able to handle the conditions to give yourself the opportunity tactically to carry out the job.

"These 18 players deserved to be picked. It's a mature and quality squad and most of them are 22 or 23 years old.

"Unfortunately, Burns and Djite are only 20 which made it pretty difficult for them," Arnold added.

"I was looking for maturity, quality, athleticism, speed and tactical nous.''

August is the hottest month of the year in China and Arnold said getting to Beijing early to acclimatise was crucial to the Olyroos' chances of success in a very hard group.

Why is this clown still in charge of the Olyroos!?!

olympiakos
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Burns & Djite left out of Olyroos for Olympics!

Post by olympiakos »

i cant believe they left them out

ford prefect
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ford prefect »

Arnie shouldn't have any problems with the Argies

Goalkeepers: Oscar Ustari (Getafe), Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar)

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol), Luciano Monzon (Boca Juniors), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid), Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Federico Fazio (Sevilla), Lautaro Acosta (Sevilla).

Midfielders: Fernando Gago (Real Madrid), Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors), Ever Banega (Valencia), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jose Sosa (Bayern Munich).

Forwards: Diego Buonanotte (River Plate), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli), Angel Di Maria (Benfica)

if his aim is to keep them under 10 goals.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

They wouldnt have been left out if they were on Adelaide United's books still! Last year, the Adel U team was stuffed around due to national team duties last season - now they cant stuff us around, they choose not to pick them! :wink:
Ignore this signature

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

ford prefect wrote:Arnie shouldn't have any problems with the Argies

Goalkeepers: Oscar Ustari (Getafe), Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar)

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Espanyol), Luciano Monzon (Boca Juniors), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid), Nicolas Burdisso (Inter Milan), Federico Fazio (Sevilla), Lautaro Acosta (Sevilla).

Midfielders: Fernando Gago (Real Madrid), Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors), Ever Banega (Valencia), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool), Jose Sosa (Bayern Munich).

Forwards: Diego Buonanotte (River Plate), Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Napoli), Angel Di Maria (Benfica)

if his aim is to keep them under 10 goals.
It's ok, we have Arnold as Coach and Archie Thompson as one of our 3 overage players - Messi will be shitting himself

medallion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by medallion »

No Clever Alias wrote:
From the World Game:

Australian Under 23 coach Graham Arnold has named his 18-man squad for the 2008 Olympic Games Men's Football Tournament in which there is no place for Bruce Djite or Nathan Burns - while Harry Kewell, who has joined Turkish champions Galatasaray, will not be one of the three overage players.

The three overage players are defender Jade North, wide-man David Carney and Melbourne Victory striker Archie Thompson. Nine A-League players have been selected with defender Mark Milligan and winger James Troisi both currently without a club.

Genclerbirligi-bound forward Djite has not made the cut depite being a regular squad member with the Socceroos under Pim Verbeek while AEK Athens signing Burns has missed selection, despite many good judged rating him the country's most promising young attacker.

Olyroos squad: Mark Bridge (Sydney FC), David Carney (Sheffield United, England), Billy Celeski (Melbourne Victory), Adam Federici (GK, Reading, England), Neil Kilkenny (Leeds United, England), Adrian Leijer (Fulham Athletic, England), Trent McClenahan (Hereford United, England), Mark Milligan (uncontracted), Stuart Musialik (Sydney FC), Nikita Rukavytsya (Perth Glory), Kristian Sarkies (Adelaide United), Matthew Spiranovic (FC Nurnberg, Germany), Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Perth Glory), James Troisi (uncontracted), Tando Velaphi (GK, Perth Glory), Ruben Zadkovich (Derby County, England), Jade North (Newcastle Jets), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory).

"It was a difficult job selecting the team,” Arnold said. “I had a look not only at current form of the players but their form right through the qualification campaign.”

“The three overage players will bring both attacking and strong defence to the team."

Troisi is the youngest member of the squad at 19.

“I’m excited and really looking forward to being an Olympian,” Troisi said. “We’ve got a good squad and it’s going to be a great experience.”

On the other side of the scale, Newcastle Jets skipper North can't wait for his chance in Beijing after also representing his country in Athens four years ago.

“It is a real honour to be picked to go to Beijing,” he said.

“I can’t wait to start training with them and get over there. I really hope to go in and lead by example for the younger players.”
Again from The World Game:

Olyroos coach Graham Arnold had one simple explanation for dumping young stars Nathan Burns and Bruce Djite from his squad for Beijing: they can't handle the heat.

The Australian 18-member squad that will face Serbia, Argentina and Cote d'Ivoire in the Olympics in August was announced Friday but there was no place for the former Adelaide United pair who will play in Europe after signing for AEK Athens of Greece and Genclerbirligi of Turkey respectively.

"The selection policy took into account the players' form over the two years I've been working with them,'' Arnold said.

"If there's one thing I've learned from playing in Asia it's that if players can't play in the heat, they can't play in the heat, no matter who they are.

"You can take them away for two months and still they can't acclimatise. You've got to be able to handle the conditions to give yourself the opportunity tactically to carry out the job.

"These 18 players deserved to be picked. It's a mature and quality squad and most of them are 22 or 23 years old.

"Unfortunately, Burns and Djite are only 20 which made it pretty difficult for them," Arnold added.

"I was looking for maturity, quality, athleticism, speed and tactical nous.''

August is the hottest month of the year in China and Arnold said getting to Beijing early to acclimatise was crucial to the Olyroos' chances of success in a very hard group.

Why is this clown still in charge of the Olyroos!?!
What an absolute :clown:

How does he get that opinion from???? :?: They've just helped Adelaide United into the second phase of the Asian Champions league, playing in the most humid of conditions and also in altitude. I don't know what games he's been watching but Burns and Djite both played pivotal roles in getting us through once they came back from injuries.

RED PANTHER
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by RED PANTHER »

In light of the omission of both Djite and Burns from the Olyroos squad , if Arnold doesn't bring home the Gold , both boys will have every right to quote the great Johnny Warren " I TOLD YOU SO"

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Good to see outrage from football followers around the country, not just in Adelaide! These two should be there, atleast one of them, not a farewell present to Archie Thompson + the squad is loaded with defenders.

What will Milligan do mid games, piss off to europe and look for a club

Russia2O18
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Russia2O18 »

Graham Arnold you're a grenache.

"too young"

tell me, is Ruben Zadkovich a better player at this stage of his career than Nathan Burns?

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Surely Djite is a better striker than Rukavytsya - this guy looked woeful for Perth during most of the A League season!

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

why is arnie a grenache? hes done the right thing by leaving burns and djite out of the squad. sure we will miss their talents, but as soon as you put club before country then all i say is shiraz OFF!!!. Johnny warren wont be sayin anything from heaven, he's gonna be wondering where all the bottle of shiraz pride of playing for your nation has gone. too many pricks playing for country for the money, thats sad. playing for the emblem on your countries strip is the biggest honour you could ever recieve in life, you SHOULD NOT be payed to play for your country.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Burns wanted to play, AEK was willing to let him go to Beijing and he was still not picked.

BADA BING
Star Player
Star Player

Post by BADA BING »

How the hell does Sarkies make it in front of Burns :evil:

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Arnoldgate!

As expected the SBS crew are all over him! Why isn't the senior coach involved in the selection of the side!

Russia2O18
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Russia2O18 »

Lowy has done most things right during his time in charge if the FFA.

most things that is.

where he has gone consistently wrong is his persistence with Graham Arnold in key national team coaching positions.

does GA have some photos in his possession or something???

paddy15
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by paddy15 »

He's a disgrace. And the leaving out of Burns and Djite should not overshadow the other omissions such as Dario Vidosic, Dean Bouzanis, Nick Ward, Ryan McGowan and James Wesolowski.
He's a peanut. For those of you on facebook, join the ``Arnold for the sack'' group.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

paddy15 wrote:He's a disgrace. And the leaving out of Burns and Djite should not overshadow the other omissions such as Dario Vidosic, Dean Bouzanis, Nick Ward, Ryan McGowan and James Wesolowski.
He's a peanut. For those of you on facebook, join the ``Arnold for the sack'' group.
wtf :roll: hes done the right thing by selecting the player 'who want to play for their country'.

vidosic - possibly, ward should be yes, mcgowan no, and wesolowski, not yet.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Burns did want to play for his country, yet was overlooked.

paddy15
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by paddy15 »

gooders wrote:
paddy15 wrote:He's a disgrace. And the leaving out of Burns and Djite should not overshadow the other omissions such as Dario Vidosic, Dean Bouzanis, Nick Ward, Ryan McGowan and James Wesolowski.
wtf :roll: hes done the right thing by selecting the player 'who want to play for their country'.

I beg to differ on McGowan - http://www.inglefarmsoccerclub.com/2007 ... view07.htm

I haven't heard anything about Wesolowski about NOT making himself available, while vidosic was pretty keen on playing during our recent tournament in Malaysia, if my memory serves me correctly.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

Juventino wrote:Burns did want to play for his country, yet was overlooked.
not what i heard, but prove me wrong mate.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

paddy15 wrote:
gooders wrote:

I beg to differ on McGowan - http://www.inglefarmsoccerclub.com/2007 ... view07.htm

I haven't heard anything about Wesolowski about NOT making himself available, while vidosic was pretty keen on playing during our recent tournament in Malaysia, if my memory serves me correctly.
i was talkin quality wise.

Piola
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Piola »

gooders wrote:
well for starters he was very disappointed, secondly AEK had no issues with releasing him

loyalty is not a part of the decision

paddy15
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by paddy15 »

vidosic - possibly, ward should be yes, mcgowan no, and wesolowski, not yet.[/quote]

I haven't heard anything about Wesolowski about NOT making himself available, while vidosic was pretty keen on playing during our recent tournament in Malaysia, if my memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

i was talkin quality wise.[/quote]

Ah. Point taken possibly on McGowan as he has only just broken into the Hearts team, but Wesolowski made 18 games in central midfield for championship side Leicester last year.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

gooders wrote:
100% Wrong.
Ive been on this Burns>AEK move from day dot and there is nothing to suggest they held him back.

FYI, he has an achilles strain and is taking it easy so far in pre-season camp. Im guessing its the same achilles injury that prevented him seeing any game time vs Chile in Darwin whilst in Olyroo camp.......

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

paddy15 wrote:wtf :roll: hes done the right thing by selecting the player 'who want to play for their country'.

I haven't heard anything about Wesolowski about NOT making himself available, while vidosic was pretty keen on playing during our recent tournament in Malaysia, if my memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

i was talkin quality wise.[/quote]

Ah. Point taken possibly on McGowan as he has only just broken into the Hearts team, but Wesolowski made 18 games in central midfield for championship side Leicester last year.[/quote]

as much as that experience would have done him good, he didnt seem to convinving, well from the leicester games on tv anyway, and with leicester getting relegated, i still dont think he is ready 'YET'.

paddy15
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by paddy15 »

Ah. Point taken possibly on McGowan as he has only just broken into the Hearts team, but Wesolowski made 18 games in central midfield for championship side Leicester last year.[/quote]

as much as that experience would have done him good, he didnt seem to convinving, well from the leicester games on tv anyway, and with leicester getting relegated, i still dont think he is ready 'YET'.[/quote]

Ok, youre entitled to that. But no more convincing than Sarkies has been in what is probably a slightly lesser league? Ward couldn't get consistent game time in the championship, yet for my money is scores above Sarkies. At least Wesolowski has got that.

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Post by # 9 »

paddy15 wrote:Ah. Point taken possibly on McGowan as he has only just broken into the Hearts team, but Wesolowski made 18 games in central midfield for championship side Leicester last year.
as much as that experience would have done him good, he didnt seem to convinving, well from the leicester games on tv anyway, and with leicester getting relegated, i still dont think he is ready 'YET'.[/quote]

Ok, youre entitled to that. But no more convincing than Sarkies has been in what is probably a slightly lesser league? Ward couldn't get consistent game time in the championship, yet for my money is scores above Sarkies. At least Wesolowski has got that.[/quote]

thye only thing sarkies has is that he has been dominant for the olyroos, the complete standout. im very suprised about ward myself, as he is victory's best player by far. i think weso looks better on paper becuase he has made the jump overseas before sarkies.