Caldwell wins weekly Foxtel Cup award

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Sweeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Caldwell wins weekly Foxtel Cup award

Post by Sweeper »

South Melbourne striker Nathan Caldwell is FFV's inaugural Foxtel Cup Player of the Week after a stunning first appearance with his new side at the weekend.
Caldwell had a dream debut for the blue and whites, with goals on each side of half time in his new side's 3-2 away win to Richmond.

The 22-year-old is in his third year in Victoria's top flight, spending the past two years at Melbourne Knights after returning from a one-year stint in Poland with Widzew Lodz.

Given his interrupted pre-season, Caldwell is happy with his first match of 2007. "I carried a groin injury through most of last season," he says.

"I wanted to get the injury right and I was almost bordering on being over-cautious but I am reaping the rewards now I guess.

"I was surprised to get a start Friday and naturally I couldn't have asked for a better beginning in my new colours."

Caldwell has settled into life with the reigning champions well, describing the atmosphere at the club as 'young and energetic'.

"Team spirit is high and I'm happy with our squad. As a striker you rely on good service and from defence to the midfield we are very sound."

Up front, Caldwell is surrounded by A-League company in the form of former Victory marksman Ricky Diaco and New Zealand Knight Fernando De Moraes, company in which he feels very comfortable.

"It's great playing with Ricky and Fernando, they have played at the level that I would like to get to one day in the A-League – that's something that I'm pretty focused on."