Matildas vs New Zealand Friendlies April 2022

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Matildas vs New Zealand Friendlies April 2022

Post by scar »

I have noticed Gustavsson is going into next month's friendlies vs N.Z. with almost an unchanged squad to the one used in our recent Asian Cup failure. The only inclusion appears to be Katrina Gorry (& well deserved on her great domestic form).
However when closely examining defenders named (Elle Carpenter, Steph Catley, Charlotte Grant, Alana Kennedy, Avi Luik, Courtney Nevin & Claire Polkinginhorne) I have real concerns heading to the 2023 World Cup now less than 16 months away.

Firstly with Alana Kennedy who although a great servant to our women's game is for me nearing the end of her national team career & these days appears slow not to mention has been making more mistakes in recent times (especially during the Olympic games where her understanding with our GK Tegan Micah was comical at times). Meanwhile Avi Luik is also nearing the end of her time & one must question WHY is she even currently in the squad at the expense of a younger option.
The other concern I have is the two young defenders Charlotte & Courtney are in my opinion not up to the national level so I'm not sure what qualities Gustavsson is currently seeing in them when we should be looking at Emma Checker & Tori Tumeth as real possibilities to fill our national team defensive void.
I certainly have no problem with our remaining current defenders Elle Carpenter (for me the genuine superstar of our team), Steph Catley (a starting 11 player every day of the week) & Claire Polkinghorne (reliable as ever & appears to be getting better with age).

romarios shin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Matildas vs New Zealand Friendlies April 2022

Post by romarios shin »

a real opportunity missed to give a few youngsters a chance of proper game time to showcase what they can do. should have sprinkled the squad with some A-League players who have excelled this year, (Chidiac, Checker, Dawber, Dumont, Privitelli, Vine)

continuing to pick the same players and not evolving the squad moving forward is a dangerous game to play

what if we have an injury crisis a month out from the World Cup.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I'm still not convinced on Gustavssonn's ability as a head Coach, he seems far too slow to react to changes in the flow of the game (a bit like Arnie) and often gets his changes wrong.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

we are in trouble if he thinks that is our best squad - who is helping him pick these players ? not one of the players surely.
We are not ready to win W C yet, but I don't want Matildas end up being an embarrassment in our own country, I want us to do well, even reaching QF would exceed my expectations, but not with the current list of players we won't.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

romarios shin wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:36 pm continuing to pick the same players and not evolving the squad moving forward is a dangerous game to play
Gustavsson also continues to snub our local players who play in our W-League & waited to the 90th min. the other night
before bringing on a game changing Courtney Vine (who should no doubt be starting during these friendlies vs N.Z.).
Kyah Simon's days as a Matilda should be steadily winding down & Courtney atm looks like our best option to step up.

Btw for me Katrina Gorry stood out as our best player in our 'lucky escape' win vs N.Z. & has been plying her trade here in our local league with no detrimental effect to her game so wake up Gustavsson bec. your days are numbered if your attitude doesn't change.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Latest warm up game. Not good reading

Spain 7-0 Australia

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:03 pm I'm still not convinced on Gustavssonn's ability as a head Coach, he seems far too slow to react to changes in the flow of the game (a bit like Arnie) and often gets his changes wrong.
Still not convinced - bring back Stajic.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Old Master wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:22 pm
Old Master wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:03 pm I'm still not convinced on Gustavssonn's ability as a head Coach, he seems far too slow to react to changes in the flow of the game (a bit like Arnie) and often gets his changes wrong.
5 months on from our N.Z. friendlies & the number of 'not convinced' Matilda's fans is growing or should I say 'snowballing'.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

scar wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:25 pm
5 months on from our N.Z. friendlies & the number of 'not convinced' Matilda's fans is growing or should I say 'snowballing'.

The Matildas' bosses need to act NOW and reinstate Stajic, along with a full disclosure of why they sacked him and a Written Pubic Apology - either that or RESIGN EN-Masse. :evil: :twisted: :crazy:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Old Master wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm

The Matildas' bosses need to act NOW and reinstate Stajic, along with a full disclosure of why they sacked him and a Written Pubic Apology - either that or RESIGN EN-Masse. :evil: :twisted: :crazy:

lol maybe find out if he’d actually want to come back first
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:26 am
Old Master wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 pm

lol maybe find out if he’d actually want to come back first
Then Resign it is. :clap:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details