Socceroos World Cup Campaign

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Socceroos World Cup Campaign

Post by Con M »

Grossout, Toomer and Softened Vanilla Icecream Metro Advert will have their fingers and toes crossed, hoping their $5 bet backing Saudi Arabia will come in, all the while holding their breath, not watching the game while keenly enjoying “Home and Away” and “America’s Got Talent” on Channel 7.

I’m not so sure about G.Isn’t.A.E.’s stance on this matter. I want to believe he surely won’t back the axe murderer, the Crown Prince’s Saudi Arabia against the country where G.Isn’t.A.E. resides and works.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Probably a fair result but disappointed we did not win. Has put us in a position we need to win most of our remaining games.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Given the conditions, I thought it wasn't that bad a contest. That said, neither had a classy enough striker to land the killer blow. Fair result.
Australia missing a fully fit Mooy.
Ignore this signature

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bomber wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 am Given the conditions, I thought it wasn't that bad a contest. That said, neither had a classy enough striker to land the killer blow. Fair result.
Yes, missed Aaron Mooy. And missed Tomislav Rogic. Thank goodness Goalkeeper/skipper Matt Ryan was excellent.

Having said that, the Saudis’ overall ball control was better than Straya’s. They have really improved.

However, they blighted their performance with all those pretend injuries in the second half. The ref let himself down by not accidentally-on-purpose dragging out how long the instantly-recovered Saudis had to cool their heels on the sidelines - before letting them back on. This morning’s Radio FiveAAFL blokes went bonkers about those pretend injuries and Goodings Snr will go nuclear tomorrow about that on the KG/Cornes dinosaurs show.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:57 am
Bomber wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 am Given the conditions, I thought it wasn't that bad a contest. That said, neither had a classy enough striker to land the killer blow. Fair result.
Yes, missed Aaron Mooy. And missed Tomislav Rogic. Thank goodness Goalkeeper/skipper Matt Ryan was excellent.

Having said that, the Saudis’ overall ball control was better than Straya’s. They have really improved.

However, they blighted their performance with all those pretend injuries in the second half. The ref let himself down by not accidentally-on-purpose dragging out how long the instantly-recovered Saudis had to cool their heels on the sidelines - before letting them back on. This morning’s Radio FiveAAFL blokes went bonkers about those pretend injuries and Goodings Snr will go nuclear tomorrow about that on the KG/Cornes dinosaurs show.
Sadly Con the time wasting issue is in FIFA's hands , how about a mandatory 3 minute on the side line if you choose to receive treatment . At the professional level this could be easily handled by the 4th official.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I thought that our players should be used more to playing in pouring rain then the Saudis,who play in desert conditions all year round.We need a player who can finish a decent cross,as there were a few good ones last night.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

predrag wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:01 pm I thought that our players should be used more to playing in pouring rain then the Saudis,who play in desert conditions all year round.We need a player who can finish a decent cross,as there were a few good ones last night.
Jamie Maclaren should have come on over Nabbout or even Duke. Best striker in the country by a mile. kudos to Boyle. A real talent.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 am

Sadly Con the time wasting issue is in FIFA's hands , how about a mandatory 3 minute on the side line if you choose to receive treatment . At the professional level this could be easily handled by the 4th official.
3 mins off sounds about right, Owl. I originally thought 5 mins off at the higher end or at least 2 mins off at the lower end to act as a deterrent to the “injured” actors.

A concern though, is what about those legitimate injuries where a kick on the ankle or shin hurts like hell and the leg can even briefly go numb? I’ve experienced those, but you can eventually run it off and soldier on.

How can the ref discern the difference? Who decides if on-field treatment or a stretcher is required. Player, ref, coach or doctor?

Maybe I.F.A.B. could trial your idea in a country where pretend “injuries” and time-wasting is culturally prevalent and see if it starts to act as a deterrent.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:27 am
ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 am

3 mins off sounds about right, Owl. I originally thought 5 mins off at the higher end or at least 2 mins off at the lower end to act as a deterrent to the “injured” actors.

A concern though, is what about those legitimate injuries where a kick on the ankle or shin hurts like hell and the leg can even briefly go numb? I’ve experienced those, but you can eventually run it off and soldier on.

How can the ref discern the difference? Who decides if on-field treatment or a stretcher is required. Player, ref, coach or doctor?

Maybe I.F.A.B. could trial your idea in a country where pretend “injuries” and time-wasting is culturally prevalent and see if it starts to act as a deterrent.
Grosso wont like that.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nabbout was a waste of time, totally behind the pace of the game, when was the last time (if any) he scored against a decent opposition at club let alone international level?

Mabil tried hard but with little support in the final third, the left side of our attacks vanished when he was taken off.

Leckie also tried but was nowhere near his usual match-fitness.

Boyle also had little support and no one to cross the ball to most times he managed to get some space.

Once again Arnie got it WRONG!
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Old Master wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:17 pm Once again Arnie got it WRONG!
If Arnold persists with guys like Duke, Mabil, Nabbout, Irvine then it's going to be a tough road ahead to qualify for WC.
I too can't understand why McLaren (an out & out striker) didn't get any game time & why probably our Socceroos current most gifted player Daniel Arzani was not even in the squad let alone in the starting 11.
Not picking up 3pts will be very telling & will likely mean we now have to beat Japan at home to automatically go thru.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Once again Arnie got it WRONG!
you make it sound like you expected better.........
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

After the draw this morning we are now behind the eight ball. Need to win all our games.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

A great pass,then goal by Duke,damn the penalty,now we have a mountain to climb to get to the world cup.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

It looks like we will be doing the old around the world in forty days tour again - thanks Arnie.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I have nothing to add. Just noticed there 19,999 posts on this forum at the time of this post, so wanted to see if I would win a prize or something. 8)
Ignore this signature

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Con M wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 pm Grossout, Toomer and Softened Vanilla Icecream Metro Advert will have their fingers and toes crossed, hoping their $5 bet backing Saudi Arabia will come in, all the while holding their breath, not watching the game while keenly enjoying “Home and Away” and “America’s Got Talent” on Channel 7.

I’m not so sure about G.Isn’t.A.E.’s stance on this matter. I want to believe he surely won’t back the axe murderer, the Crown Prince’s Saudi Arabia against the country where G.Isn’t.A.E. resides and works.
confirmed Socceroos will have to go through a South American team to get to the world cup.... good luck with that :shh:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:25 pm
Con M wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 pm Grossout, Toomer and Softened Vanilla Icecream Metro Advert will have their fingers and toes crossed, hoping their $5 bet backing Saudi Arabia will come in, all the while holding their breath, not watching the game while keenly enjoying “Home and Away” and “America’s Got Talent” on Channel 7.

confirmed Socceroos will have to go through a South American team to get to the world cup.... good luck with that :shh:
Italy will have to play a European team to get there. How did that go last time? ;-)
Ignore this signature

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Bomber wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:44 am

Italy will have to play a European team to get there. How did that go last time? ;-)
Just another example by Grosso not to reply when he is wrong

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

maybe ask the European teams we went through to win the EUROs :shh:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:07 pm

I did. They said it doesn't detract from the point that you'll need to play off with another European team to qualify for the World Cup. They also asked how did that go for Italy last time?
Ignore this signature

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Bomber wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 pm

I did. They said it doesn't detract from the point that you'll need to play off with another European team to qualify for the World Cup. They also asked how did that go for Italy last time?
I like our chances against Portugal better then your chances against any team from CONMEBOL... if you get that far

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm

I like our chances against Portugal better then your chances against any team from CONMEBOL... if you get that far
May be so, but how did it go for you last time?
Ignore this signature

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

Bomber wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm

who cares about ancient history when you're reigning European champions...

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ignore this signature

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Grosso Mk II wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:16 pm
Bomber wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:15 pm

who cares about ancient history when you're reigning European champions...
Grosso the prince of deflection

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Australia v Vietnam tonight

Matchday 7: Australia v Vietnam
Date: Thursday, 27 January 2022
Venue: Melbourne Rectangular Stadium, Melbourne, Australia
Kick-off: 8:10pm AEDT
Broadcast: Live and free in Australia on 10 Bold and simulcast 10 Play

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 am Australia v Vietnam tonight

Never heard it referred to as "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium" before. Must have missed it
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:49 am
ozzie owl wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 am Australia v Vietnam tonight

Never heard it referred to as "Melbourne Rectangular Stadium" before. Must have missed it
I just hope the Chinese Virus hasn't caused Arnie to pick another team full of unfit former stars over in-form players, like he has done the last three games.
Please God, if there is one, make him pick a team of fully fit in form players that can work together for a change. :roll: :idea:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

what does Irvine bring to the team???? seriously???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill