Super Roma

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Giallorossi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Super Roma

Post by Giallorossi »

Lyon 0 - 2 Roma (0-2 on agg)
Totti 22 (R), Mancini 44 (R)

Stade de Gerland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma overturned all predictions to eliminate Olympique Lyon with a 2-0 victory in France thanks to Francesco Totti and an Amantino Mancini stunner. The Giallorossi also had a perfectly good goal disallowed and Fred denied a red card for elbowing Cristian Chivu on their way to the Champions League quarter-finals.

The tie was wide open following the goalless first leg draw at the Stadio Olimpico, although Lyon were clear favourites going in, particularly after Roma's shaky recent form in Serie A. Flu-ridden Christian Panucci was in the stands along with the cup-tied Francesco Tavano, but for the rest it was a full-strength squad at Luciano Spalletti's disposal.

Francesco Totti's long-range strike was charged down and Alexander Doni beat away a Juninho Pernambucano missile in the early stages.

Roma hit the back of the net after six minutes, but it was disallowed for a very debatable Totti push. Understandably the Giallorossi were furious with Spanish referee Mejuto Gonzalez. Totti had touched on a corner for Daniele De Rossi to turn in, but the decision mystified Luciano Spalletti's side.

It was a very open game and Doni parried a Squillaci header from Juninho's free kick and there was controversy on both sides in the same incident, as Cris appeared to elbow Marco Cassetti as he was tugging the Lyon man's shirt in the penalty area.

Sidney Govou's header from another Juninho set-piece was inches off target, but Roma did get their valid goal eventually. Cristian Chivu sent Max Tonetto running down the left and his cross found Totti totally unmarked for a diving header, as Cris was out of position. It was a precious away goal that silenced the Stade de Gerland.

Lyon fought back with Tiago nodding Juninho's cross over and Doni bravely scrambled the ball off Fred's feet from the dangerous Malouda's assist.

The officials again infuriated Roma when Simone Perrotta was halted in a one-on-one with the goalkeeper for an incorrect offside flag on 34 minutes.

Govou's header skimmed the far post, then Fred had a shot deflected just wide by De Rossi and from the resulting corner a chaotic set of ricochets eventually fell straight into Doni's grateful arms.

Just before the break the Giallorossi took advantage of the extra space to score a magnificent goal and double their lead. Totti's intelligent first-time cross-field pass found Mancini and the Brazilian represented his nation with a Ronaldinho impersonation. After four stepovers, he drove Squillaci crazy and fired a powerful strike under the bar at the near post.

Gerard Houllier needed to go for it and threw on Kim Kallstrom and Sylvain Wiltord for Govou and Aliou Diarra, playing a 4-1-4-1. Within five minutes Doni had to rush out and bravely charge down Wiltord's shot and performed a splendid one-handed save on Juninho's missile, as Lyon were pouring forward in waves.

Roma had penalty appeals for a challenge on Perrotta after Taddei had dispossessed Abidal, while Totti and Juninho fired free kicks over. Fred tried to earn a penalty in the area and was ignored, but Doni was again called for a spectacular one-handed flying save to tip Kallstrom's deflected shot out from under the bar.

Kallstrom's swinging cross-shot almost got a decisive toe-poke off Malouda from five yards and whistled past the far post.

But Roma are anything but dull and Taddei nutmegged Abidal with an audacious turn at the byline, his trademark 'Aurellio' move already seen in the Champions League at Olympiakos.

Houllier made his final roll of the dice with striker Benzema for defender Reveillere. However, Lyon should probably have been reduced to 10 men on 74 minutes, as Totti and Mancini duetted wonderfully on the counter-attack until Cris - who had already been booked - brought down the captain in a cynical challenge.

Benzema's powerful angled drive shaved the far post, but there was more controversy as referee Mejuto Gonzalez did not spot Fred's elbow on Cristian Chivu that left him bleeding heavily from his nose. Perrotta nearly made it 3-0 on the break in stoppages, but there was one blight, as David Pizarro was booked and will be suspended for the first leg.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Brilliant goal from Mancini.

Giallorossi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Giallorossi »

That will hopefully shut up some of the critics! What a performance to win where nobody has won in teh past 5 seasons!
Great header by Totti! and great ball by Totti to set up the second goal for mancini!
Mancini's goal was something special...i just feel sorry for the defender who was made to look like an amateur!

Forza ROMA!!!! Lets hope they go on with the job!

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

juventino_4_ever wrote:Brilliant goal from Mancini.
20 stepovas can fool any defender

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

With Inter Out Do Roma Carry Italys Chances...How Do We Rate Ac Milans Chances?

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

If they beat Celtic then it will give more time for players like Cafu, Nesta, Serghino to get back to full fitness. Milan have been getting the results lately without being convincing which can be a good thing.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

MUFCBOY wrote:
juventino_4_ever wrote:Brilliant goal from Mancini.
20 stepovas can fool any defender
Not just the lead up, the finish gave Coupet no chance.

P. Diddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by P. Diddy »

Forza Roma! Lyon were my dark-horse for the title, everytime I'd seen them play this year, they looked brilliant.
"Remember kids - stay in school"

Owusu_1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Owusu_1 »

Forza Roma, what a great morning it has been both Liverpool and Roma go through to the next stage.

With Roma i just feel something is going to happen. I think they can go all the way......imagine a Liverpool/Roma final. Holy Moly
Every team needs the Powerhouse.

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

just watched the replay

mancini is a shiraz gun!

getborn
Star Player
Star Player

Post by getborn »

roma sentimental favourites for me.

Giallorossi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Giallorossi »

Romerpoolaide Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forza Roma, what a great morning it has been both Liverpool and Roma go through to the next stage.

With Roma i just feel something is going to happen. I think they can go all the way......imagine a Liverpool/Roma final. Holy Moly
Lets hope Roma make the final and win it!!!! I think ROMA will play milan in the round of 16 and beat them 3-1 overall
A ROMA v liverpool UCL final is scheduled for next year when the final is at the stadio olimpico with ROMA to get revenge! :D :D :D

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

on the ball Posted: 07 Mar 2007 14:47 Post subject:

Lets hope Roma make the final and win it!!!! I think ROMA will play milan in the round of 16 and beat them 3-1 overall
A ROMA v liverpool UCL final is scheduled for next year when the final is at the stadio olimpico with ROMA to get revenge!

Your Crystal ball is fogging up. :D :D :D

Giallorossi
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Giallorossi »

caramelas13 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 pm Post subject:

Quote:
on the ball Posted: 07 Mar 2007 14:47 Post subject:

A ROMA v liverpool UCL final is scheduled for next year when the final is at the stadio olimpico with ROMA to get revenge!

Your Crystal ball is fogging up.
Knew you would like my cyrstal ball predictions especially with the 2 cabernet teams ROMA are set to beat... :D :D :D

delfino_1936
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by delfino_1936 »

great stuff by Roma....i dont think lftwng would be happy :lol:

Caramelas13
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Caramelas13 »

on the ball Posted: 07 Mar 2007 15:10 Post subject:

Knew you would like my cyrstal ball predictions especially with the 2 cabernet teams ROMA are set to beat...
These 2 cabernet teams wouldn't have 11 European Cups between them would they???

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

caramelas13 wrote:
on the ball Posted: 07 Mar 2007 15:10 Post subject:

Knew you would like my cyrstal ball predictions especially with the 2 cabernet teams ROMA are set to beat...
These 2 cabernet teams wouldn't have 11 European Cups between them would they???
shiraz Roma were 30 odd to 1 before yesterday!!

The one and only
Star Player
Star Player

Post by The one and only »

great goal by mancini and great result for roma to go to lyon and win 2-0 excellent stuff
I speak nothing but the truth

Lilly Whites
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Lilly Whites »

Romerpoolaide wrote:Forza Roma, what a great morning it has been both Liverpool and Roma go through to the next stage.

i know wat u mean mate..... i am quite fond of 'pool, and to see roma go through was just fantastic....mancini...wat can u say? speachless