EPL Australian TV Rights

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

EPL Australian TV Rights

Post by ozzie owl »

Reports in UK

With Optus current deal expiring at end of current season .

Another bidding war is unfolding in Australia, where holders Optus face a four-way auction with Stan Sport, Paramount+ and Amazon. Fees could soar by 60 per cent or more, from £27m a year to £44m-plus.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Re: EPL Australian TV Rights

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:37 pm Reports in UK

Another bidding war is unfolding in Australia, where holders Optus face a four-way auction with Stan Sport, Paramount+ and Amazon. Fees could soar by 60 per cent or more, from £27m a year to £44m-plus.
Oh for ye olde days when fans could hit one remote button and get all World games on one free-to-air channel, the one, the only SBS (aka the Soccer Broadcasting Station).

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:07 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:37 pm Reports in UK

Oh for ye olde days when fans could hit one remote button and get all World games on one free-to-air channel, the one, the only SBS (aka the Soccer Broadcasting Station).
Optus has the most to lose, as surely losing the EPL would be the end of Optus Sport.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

If it also means the end of darren bent, karen carney & don hutchinson that can only be a good thing.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Blind Auctions for Australian EPL TV rights coming up.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 58sx4.html

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Sad about this as a longtime Fox person. I continue to watch it on my laptop...for free

Optus Sport have successfully retained the broadcast rights to the English Premier League in Australia.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/other/e ... uxbndlbing

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Optus have secured EPL rights for further 6 years.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

My fetch box will be happy!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 am Optus have secured EPL rights for further 6 years.
Oh f**k. Further fragmenting the watching audience in Australia. How many people would even have access to the Singaporean Government’s Octopus TV.

And certainly hardly any of the Aussie Pubs. Some of them had even struggled to keep Lord Murdoch’s Foxtel on their big screens.

The greedy EPL wouldn’t give a f**k about promoting the game in a soccer-football third world country like Australia by making it reasonably accessible. And Yankee citizen Murdoch didn’t give a f**k that his Foxtel mob jettisoned the EPL, the popular Socceroos, the popular Matildas and the A-League in this country to concentrate on the “core sports” of AFL, NRL & shitty Yankee games.

FFS!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 am Optus have secured EPL rights for further 6 years.
Oh f**k. Further fragmenting the watching audience in Australia. How many people would even have access to the Singaporean Government’s Octopus TV.

And certainly hardly any of the Aussie Pubs. Some of them had even struggled to keep Lord Murdoch’s Foxtel on their big screens.

The greedy EPL wouldn’t give a f**k about promoting the game in a soccer-football third world country like Australia by making it reasonably accessible. And Yankee citizen Murdoch didn’t give a f**k that his Foxtel mob jettisoned the EPL, the popular Socceroos, the popular Matildas and the A-League in this country to concentrate on the “core sports” of AFL, NRL & shitty Yankee games.

FFS!
Over 1 million have access to Optus Sport .

How many countries have EPL football, only on FTA TV?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Con M wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm

FFS!
Over 1 million have access to Optus Sport .

How many countries have EPL football, only on FTA TV?
Nah Owl, don’t get me wrong. I’ve got Octopus. I love my EPL. Highest quality of the game concentrated in one League.

But I can assure you I know plenty of relatives & friends who don’t have Octopus access. They were originally SBS watchers, then loyal Foxtel subscribers who fell away when Murdoch gave up the EPL ghost.

Others, who weren’t Foxtel subscribers who used to go to a certain pub on LNE Rd to watch EPL & Adelaide United, exerted fantastic pressure on that pub’s management to reverse their decision at the time to drop Foxtel. The pub had been shedding crocodile tears about how expensive Foxtel was, all the while raking in megabucks from bloody pokies ‘til 4am in the morning.

I can assure you that pub now has no Optus access for EPL. It’s similar with a certain ex-AFL player’s pub on Magill Rd.

You’re right about that million, but it doesn’t make it any less sad for the others - many fans are alienated from the game now because of the bewildering number of platforms they have to be set up for - Octopus, er Optus for EPL, what’s-their-faces for the Champions League, Foxtel for a bit of Serie A, Bundesliga & La Liga and Channel 10 and their Paramount thingy for the A-League.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Anyone else noticed that Optus Sport are increasing the number of adverts this season ?

Even in the 9 minute extended highlights they a managing to slip three adds at the half way mark .

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Optus Sport new charges for season 2022/23.

Optus customers : $6.99 pm

Non Optus : $24.99 pm

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

ozzie owl wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:41 am Anyone else noticed that Optus Sport are increasing the number of adverts this season ?

Even in the 9 minute extended highlights they a managing to slip three adds at the half way mark .
Yes. Its the thin edge of the wedge. As per youtube and various podcasts have been doing for a while. Start small, play an ad here and there. Let people complain until they get used to it. Then slowly increase frequency over time. Before you know it your paying streaming money for 'free to air' equivalent. Then after a few years offer a 'higher tier' subscription at extra cost which is ad free.

The 9 minute highlights are garbage with rubbish intro and unskippable ads.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

upsidedown wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:34 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:41 am Anyone else noticed that Optus Sport are increasing the number of adverts this season ?

Yes. Its the thin edge of the wedge. As per youtube and various podcasts have been doing for a while. Start small, play an ad here and there. Let people complain until they get used to it. Then slowly increase frequency over time. Before you know it your paying streaming money for 'free to air' equivalent. Then after a few years offer a 'higher tier' subscription at extra cost which is ad free.

The 9 minute highlights are garbage with rubbish intro and unskippable ads.
It's unheard of that Arsenal could get 9 minutes of highlights so they have to fill it with ads. ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

upsidedown
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by upsidedown »

ozzie owl wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:30 pm Optus Sport new charges for season 2022/23.

Optus customers : $6.99 pm

Non Optus : $24.99 pm
Had just cancelled kayo the day before to cut down on streaming costs and 12 hours later got that email. Thanks Optus. I have 3 services with them, reckon i am contributing enough. Will need to check to see if i have to unsubscribe to 2 subscriptions. Not sure i ever activated 2 of them though. Another trip to Optus store i guess.

Get In The Car
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Get In The Car »

I got the same email. Optus sports was free with my 5G package and I sparodically watched it until this months uefa nations league games come along so I'll be unsubscribing after I watch yesterday's highlights program.