UEFA Champions League 21/22

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: UEFA Champions League 21/22

Post by Victoria's Secret »

MegaBonus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:08 am no doubt the current team is a good team.....however, it might be remembered as the team that couldnt get the job done both at home and abroad (over the long run)

I dont need to have attended to know that the FA Cup sits 4th in terms of importance (except for teams with no realistic chance of winning the premiership and/or European glory)
4th?

I assume you mean CL and PL, what's next?

In history books we wont go down as one of the best, but for LFC fans who have watched, we will know this is possibly our best ever team - in terns of skill and enjoyment and points etc.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Europa....

dont get me wrong, id rather be you than where my rabble are at. but is a champions league and a premiership total value for the current squad?

with Mane off to Bayern and the possibility the current team break up astute recruiting is required.....(again, all credit to the players that have come in).
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

You can't win Europa and Cl same season - so I think FA Cup is always 3rd in priorities - and overall fans (as NOC said) will always prefer an FA Cup win over the Europa.

The squad is evolving already, Diaz, Jota, Konate Carvellho, Elliott etc, so losing players is OK. You need to freshen up anyway. It's never nice to lose top players but the skill is letting them go at the right time and replacing well - I am genuinely not concerned. Our manager seems to know what he is doing......

Leicester won the league with 77 points - of course that's more successful than we are with 90+ twice, but there is no right to win anything - these players have done brilliantly - and we couldn't expect much more - but a shame they haven't won more - but nobody has let themselves down - and they haven't let us - the fans down either.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:28 pm You can't win Europa and Cl same season - so I think FA Cup is always 3rd in priorities - and overall fans (as NOC said) will always prefer an FA Cup win over the Europa.

The squad is evolving already, Diaz, Jota, Konate Carvellho, Elliott etc, so losing players is OK. You need to freshen up anyway. It's never nice to lose top players but the skill is letting them go at the right time and replacing well - I am genuinely not concerned. Our manager seems to know what he is doing......

Leicester won the league with 77 points - of course that's more successful than we are with 90+ twice, but there is no right to win anything - these players have done brilliantly - and we couldn't expect much more - but a shame they haven't won more - but nobody has let themselves down - and they haven't let us - the fans down either.
Being the Liverpool "go to" person, how many games did Liverpool actually play this season? I know it was pretty much 'every eligible game', so wonder if it might be some sort of record (EPL team anyway). Chelsea would have come close too.
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nowhere near the record, arsenal played 70 in 1980 - due to 42 league games and many cup replays. Leeds also played a lot a few years before.

We played 63,

I know there is now sports science and players are fitter, but back then there was one sub (2 in Europe). One season Liverpool won the league using 14 players!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:27 pm Nowhere near the record, arsenal played 70 in 1980 - due to 42 league games and many cup replays. Leeds also played a lot a few years before.

We played 63,

I know there is now sports science and players are fitter, but back then there was one sub (2 in Europe). One season Liverpool won the league using 14 players!
I did mean EPL era but yes, wow that Arsenal season would have stretched things a bit.

Then throw in some internationals to boot..... :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Just watched the whole final for the first time and the referee must holiday in Spain every year, he made some very inconsistent calls which all favoured Madrid.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower