Euro 2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 am Why is he a bellend?

You really will be heartbroken if England win won’t you? You do nothing but slaughter the English, the league and the players.

You probably lead the C’mon Aussie chant thinking it’s still the thing to do. It isn’t disrespectful but still a crime.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

You really will be heartbroken if England win won’t you? You do nothing but slaughter the English, the league and the players.
He'll probably remember he's not actually australian.

I went to my first England game in the 80's, the anthem was boo'd.

Can someone find the post where he had a go at the jocks for booing their own anthem.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

whats wrong with the sentiments echoed by Lineker?

not asking this cause its 'anti English' more about the whole idea of booing another countries national anthem.....

we did it against Uruguay for the WC play off...that's the only time i can remember an Australian 'footballing' crowd doing it.

went to a Greece V Belgium WC qualifier...didn't happen

have been to cricket and rugby internationals....... didn't happen
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Linker is a legend that’s what I wrote , can’t you see it was amended.

You fail mind reading in regards who I want to win.

I just hate booing of another countries national anthems by any set of supporters .

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Cos he's just like you. Politically correct, left leaning, sanctimonious twats. The only thing you lack is his jug ears. :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

I don’t have his money or football skills either

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

It's good to see others have picked up that Ossie Owl & Megabonehead are always anti English. Never have a good word about us. As I've said before, we could win 10-0 & only negativity from those two.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^

like i said about you...you're irrelevant. See below...3 positive things to say in 1 post 2 pages back...I also stated that i ike pommie humour over the yanks....

how good was the noise from the crowd :clap: :clap: :clap:

as for Sterling diving...just goes to show how much England have 'street wisened up'.

hard to call the winner....England have the player of the tournament and a home ground/crowd.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

All backhanded compliments. All AFTER you were called out for your usual negative comments. Don't try and slither out of it, racist.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

get over yourself knob....dont be such a hypocrite...please point to your examples of 'love' for other nations on this site....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

MegaBonus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:40 pm ^^^^^^^

like i said about you...you're irrelevant. See below...3 positive things to say in 1 post 2 pages back...I also stated that i ike pommie humour over the yanks....

how good was the noise from the crowd :clap: :clap: :clap:

as for Sterling diving...just goes to show how much England have 'street wisened up'.

hard to call the winner....England have the player of the tournament and a home ground/crowd.

Only one positive really, the crows.

You then insulted Sterling by saying he dived. Who is the player of the tournament?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

up till now...it would have to be Sterling....

is there a country that executes the dark arts of defending and shithousery better than Argentina??? Possibly Italy....England would not want to have to chase the game.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

You're starting to improve already.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

:lol: Anyone who thinks Sterling is the player of the tournament probably doesn't understand football, just looks at the stats and headlines. He mostly only scores goals that my granny would stick away and misses a few that she'd bury :lol:

Rather than count how many he scores, count how many times he gives the ball away, fails to square it for a tap in, or just runs down blind alleys until he loses it. Granted, his pace gets him to places that allow him the tap ins, but I'd argue that anyone with similar pace would do exactly the same, say Rashford, but wouldn't need four chances to score one and would offer so much more to the rest of the team.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Having said that, I hope he scores a brilliant hatty tonight and proves me wrong.

Forza Inglaterra :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

B.Toomer » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:58 pm

You're starting to improve already.
dont kid yourself....BTW...can you point to anything positive youve posted????

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Nice One Cyril » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Rather than count how many he scores, count how many times he gives the ball away,
surely you are cooked????????

given he spends most of his time in the oppositions half were passing becomes harder because of the pressure applied by the opposition and the lack of space....what's his % passing accuracy????

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Based on stats Ronaldo has more goals, same assists & better pass completion rate in less games against better opposition so by that logic is a far better candidate than Sterling. Sterlings passing and shots on target rates are poor, on minutes played Grealish’s are better. For me for England it’s Shaw or Stones and I suppose Kane. On the games I’ve seen young Pedri for Spain has been pretty special, no doubt in a couple of years the likes of him and Olmo will be running rings around another in a long line of workmanlike English midfields

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

he has.....
scored the winning goal in 3 games (Coatia, Czech & Germany)
supplied the assist for the first goal (Kane) against the Ukraine...proved to be the winner
slipped Shaw in for the assist to Kane for Goal 3 V Ukraine
Forced his defender into the own goal V Denmark
Won the penalty V Denmark
been directly involved in 7/10 England's goals

happy to forget stats....just look at the impact and influence he has had on the final result.

case closed...happy for anyone to put up an alternative.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

I just put up 5 in previous post? My observation, whenever Grealish was allowed out to play we were a better team and that’s enough for me

And Sterling’s a diver, cheated our fiends the Danes. No sane sports code would award someone who has brought the game into disrepute

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

My observation
yeah...i can see how you put up a compelling argument... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:07 pm he has.....
scored the winning goal in 3 games (Coatia, Czech & Germany)
supplied the assist for the first goal (Kane) against the Ukraine...proved to be the winner
slipped Shaw in for the assist to Kane for Goal 3 V Ukraine
Forced his defender into the own goal V Denmark
Won the penalty V Denmark
been directly involved in 7/10 England's goals

happy to forget stats....just look at the impact and influence he has had on the final result.

case closed...happy for anyone to put up an alternative.
Just goes to show how simplistic your view of a match is, the bloke that scores tap ins is the hero, even if it takes him ten attempts. He's quick and he falls over if the wind blows, but if he played for a team that doesn't put it on a plate for him, he doesn't create much at all. Whilst I will give you that he played a good ball to Kane against Ukraine, generally he fails spectacularly to play the right ball at the right time, mostly surrendering possession after running up a blind alley. I'd take Grealish, Rashford or Sancho over him all day long.

And he's a shocking diver.
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

why was Grealish taken off after coming on as a sub?????

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm why was Grealish taken off after coming on as a sub?????
Southgate switched to a back 3 and had to sacrifice an attacking player and he chose Grealish .

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

thats my point....some clowns think that the 'best players' must play....its the 'best fit' thats more important according to structure and tactics. One reason Englands 'golden generation' achieved faark all was because of their obsession to ensure that Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard all played in the same team.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

You just make it up as you go don’t you, please don’t put words in my mouth. Scholes retired 20 effing years ego and barely overlapped with Gerard & lampard. None are the creative ball players we have often lacked and that in essence was their and our story re England. if around today they would be competing with Mount / Bellingham for a spot.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

England's team apparently leaked.....Trippier in for Saka suggesting they are to play with 3 CB and Trippier and Shaw as wingbacks....

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 pm Image
And?? Off on another tangent I see. How the shiraz do you twist the logic where anything I have said tonight makes me responsible for the 2004 euros squad. Ask Sven why he picked the teams he did

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

My take for what it is worth as a neutral observer (and trying my best not to put my Scottish slant on it).

Did England deserve to beat Denmark and move on to the final? 100% Yes

Should England have been awarded a penalty when Kane was upended in the Penalty Area? 100% Yes

Was the Sterling penalty there? 100% No

Does Sterling add good value to the England side? 100% Yes

As well as the statistics provided by MegaBonus Sterling should have been awarded a penalty v Scotland when Robertson tripped him.

My take on the England v Denmark game and the big decisions the Referee/VAR got wrong:

Harry Kane was dumped in the box yet was penalised and the free kick went against him as he somehow fouled the Danish defender. This was an obvious error and the Referee should have been called over and reversed the decision.

Sterling wins a penalty which isn't there and again an obvious error by the Referee. I am sure if VAR had called him over the Referee would have reversed the decision.

Big thing for me is that the Referee put himself under immense pressure by not awarding the Kane penalty, hence the soft penalty award to England in extra-time. Two wrongs never make a right and in my opinion the Referee would not have batted an eyelid(Sterling penalty) if the first penalty was rightly given. That of course is if Denmark took it to extra time.

In general the tournament has been a great success for open football with some great goals and incidents galore, the way it should be as for me it is the greatest game on earth. However if VAR is going to be used please have a team present that have the balls to use it correctly. Predrag nailed it in a previous post.

Interesting to see the differing opinions of the England manager and in particular the performances of Sterling. This intrigues me as a Scotland fan, we would just loved to have won a game, never mind get to the final!

What I like about Sterling (apart from his obvious pace) is his willingness to take defenders on and being direct. When he runs at defenders and feints one way and goes the other it must be very difficult to deal with. He is erratic at times but this adds to the conundrum- if he doesn't know what he is doing with the ball at his feet then what chance the defenders?

And finally- Hoping for a great spectacle but as it is Italy I reckon it could be a low scoring tetchy game with the words cat and mouse coming to mind. Few nervous fans I would imagine and some on here hoping that England win and Sterling has a shocker. :lol: Just hoping that it is played out in the correct spirit and that the best (and fairest) team prevail, even if that team is England!