Euro 2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Euro 2020

Post by MegaBonus »

you Poms are masochists'.....are you really deriving pleasure from bagging your team for getting to a semi final of a major tournament????

a defence that hasnt conceded
a striker getting to peak form
a forward with assists and goals galore in this tournament
a coach with an understanding of 'tournament' play..
a semi final at Wembley (and possibly final)

who would you prefer to play in the fianl...Spain or Italy?
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

We only have one midfielder who has scored in the tournament
We only have one player (?) who has won the EPL and the CL
We only have one player who has captained their team to EPL and CL victories

Will he start him ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:40 pm We only have one midfielder who has scored in the tournament

Will he start him ?

Hope not

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:40 pm We only have one midfielder who has scored in the tournament

Will he start him ?
I would think not.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I agree, keep him for the big one, the final.

England have done all they have had to do, but the opposition has all been poor , the experienced players will be needed for the final, assuming England get there.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

If England make the final why would Southgate change a winning formula ?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:27 pm If England make the final why would Southgate change a winning formula ?
After we beat Germany, a half decent side, relatively comfortably, why did he change that winning formula? He's naturally a cautious coach who takes no risks. If he had a 25 year old Lionel Messi in his squad, he'd be sat on the bench because he doesn't fit the square peg holes that Gareth loves.

I think he going to play for penalties and then take one himself. ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:27 pm If England make the final why would Southgate change a winning formula ?
Because you look at each game on it's merits.

Decal Rice has never played in a final (for example), and he may be fatigued.
The art of good management is knowing who to pick and when, not resting on your laurels

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

everything is on the day. i just hope englands run continues. :smile:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:24 am
Because you look at each game on it's merits.

Decal Rice has never played in a final (for example), and he may be fatigued.
The art of good management is knowing who to pick and when, not resting on your laurels
True but ,I would be surprised and Henderson does lack game time ( no EPL since Feb).

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

If we win the next two games, I wonder how many people with remember they're English.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Few nervy Italians this morning, can now enjoy a nice red to relax. ;-)
Ignore this signature

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

Optus Sport makes UEFA Euro 2020 semi-finals and final available free for all
Shares
By Chris Coughlan
Comments:0 Comments
Optus Sport makes UEFA Euro 2020 semi-finals and final available free for all
Optus Sport has announced it will make its live coverage of the UEFA Euro 2020 semi-finals and final matches free to watch for all Australians.

The two semi-finals (5am on Wednesday 7 July and Thursday 8 July) and final (5am on Monday 12 July) will see England, Italy, Denmark and Spain fighting it out for glory, off the back of what has been an incredible UEFA Euro 2020 tournament to date.

Optus Sport head of TV and content Corin Dimopoulos said, “We have had our greatest ever month on Optus Sport with the best of the best competing in the UEFA Euro 2020 and Copa America 2021 tournaments and we still have the biggest matches of the tournament to go.

“With the likes of Harry Kane and Lorenzo Insigne to be in action across the Euro finals, all Australians can now watch these three live matches on Optus Sport for free without a subscription.

"We recognise that a lot of the country is currently restricted when it comes to going round to friends' houses or to a venue to watch games together, and we are therefore pleased to provide as many Australians as we can with the opportunity to enjoy the last three tournament games in the comfort of every home."

Optus Sport expert John Aloisi, a Socceroos legend who has played professionally in England, Spain and Italy, said that the tournament has so far more than lived up to the hype.

“UEFA Euro 2020 might have been postponed by twelve months due to the pandemic, but it has certainly been worth waiting for,” Aloisi said.

“The Round of 16 was about as captivating as an international tournament has been in my lifetime, with plenty of shock results, late equalisers and winners, and even the customary penalty shootout we’ve come to expect.

“The quarter-finals picked up right where the Round of 16 left off, and these are some of the most eagerly anticipated semi-finals we’ve ever seen, so it’s great to know that all Australians will have access to watch them both, as well as the final, live and free, exclusive to Optus Sport.”

The UEFA Euro 2020 schedule (AEST) on Optus Sport is as follows:

Semi-finals: 5am 7 July – Italy vs Spain; 5am 8 July – England vs Denmark
Final: 5am 12 July
Access to watch both semi-finals and the final live on Optus Sport is available across mobile and tablet devices, web browsers, Fetch, Apple TV, Chromecast and select Smart TVs and media streaming devices. An Optus Sport account is not required to watch these select live matches.

Optus Sport will be hoping that many who tune will become subscribers at a cost of $14.99 per month, 3-month plan for $29.99, or annual pass for $99.

Optus Sport can be accessed via Fetch, Apple TV, Android TV compatible Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs, Apple Airplay, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Xbox, compatible Samsung Smart TVs or desktop, or on-the-go via tablet, mobile, or laptop.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Bomber wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:12 am Few nervy Italians this morning, can now enjoy a nice red to relax. ;-)
Spain not doubt were the better team BUT the Italians fought to the end and no can begrudge them making the final.

Will sit back now and hope England and Denmark smash the living shite out of each other :P

Forza ITALIA

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:29 pm If we win the next two games, I wonder how many people with remember they're English.
some may even revert to calling themselves british like they do in tennis when murray wins something
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Grosso Mk II
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grosso Mk II »

8)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Dave now from No 9 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:16 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:29 pm If we win the next two games, I wonder how many people with remember they're English.
some may even revert to calling themselves british like they do in tennis when murray wins something
I only care when he's representing Britain, a sour faced anti English jock the rest of the time.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:10 pm
Dave now from No 9 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:16 am
I only care when he's representing Britain, a sour faced anti English jock the rest of the time.
lol , pay that
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Andy Murray..............the patriotic Scot who took the Mens' Wimbledon title in 2013, the first 'Brit' to do it for 77 years at the time-
and proved it was no fluke by winning it again in 2016.

Funny how some of the English see that as a fault- I thought patriotism and the love for one's country (and not the hate for another's) was seen as a healthy trait.

Personally not got a problem with the English fans celebrating hard if they win it (the Euros), be proud and loud- as long is it is not anti-Scottish.

On Murray's personality?- Wonder how you would come out at the other end of a massacre whilst a child at school (Dunblane 1996, 16 school children and a teacher slain by a low level madman)?

I for one think his achievements in life and in sport have been remarkable. Grit, determination and being a bit of a grump from time to time is all part of making it to the top.

Nice that GIAE's queen (not mine) recognised his achievements by knighting him in 2016.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:19 pm Andy Murray..............the patriotic Scot who took the Mens' Wimbledon title in 2013, the first 'Brit' to do it for 77 years at the time-
and proved it was no fluke by winning it again in 2016.

Funny how some of the English see that as a fault- I thought patriotism and the love for one's country (and not the hate for another's) was seen as a healthy trait.

Personally not got a problem with the English fans celebrating hard if they win it (the Euros), be proud and loud- as long is it is not anti-Scottish.

On Murray's personality?- Wonder how you would come out at the other end of a massacre whilst a child at school (Dunblane 1996, 16 school children and a teacher slain by a low level madman)?

I for one think his achievements in life and in sport have been remarkable. Grit, determination and being a bit of a grump from time to time is all part of making it to the top.

Nice that GIAE's queen (not mine) recognised his achievements by knighting him in 2016.
How is she not your Queen?

He can be as patriotic as he likes, hes not patriotic to my country (unless its Olympics or davis Cup) so why would I support him?

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Spain chocked Italy's game till the siren went off.cant wait for this mornings game.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Predictable team selection by Mr Interesting, predictable hard to watch performance from England against a team shorn of their best player, but we'll take the result. :grin: :grin:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

PS. Wonderful dive from Sterling, what are VAR watching?
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:08 am Predictable team selection by Mr Interesting, predictable hard to watch performance from England against a team shorn of their best player, but we'll take the result. :grin: :grin:
What don't you like about the performance Cyril?? We dominated possession, we created 21 chances with 10 on target, we defended well & we got the desired result..
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Sterling dived, he even dived for their own goal, kane was just as bad. Not comfortable with cheating Denmark

Grealish & Foden finally get to play together and we start playing good combinations, looking like a proper football team, look dangerous. So Southgate shits himself and takes Grealish off

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Two of those hard to please England " fans ".

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

There will always be talking points, could have should have would have. Bottom line a juicy final awaits.

Do we need a separate thread for the final, so we can focus wholly on the agony and the ecstasy after the game? ;-)
Ignore this signature

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Absolute disgraceful decision, money talks bullstite walks

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Bomber

Do we need a separate thread for the final, so we can focus wholly on the agony and the ecstasy after the game?
agree.....as neutral, while wishing for your own country to be there, we are seeing the 2 form teams play each other. Having close friends of both teams engage in a lifetime of banter (going back to primary school), im not sure who i want to lose more :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

how good was the noise from the crowd :clap: :clap: :clap:

as for Sterling diving...just goes to show how much England have 'street wisened up'.

hard to call the winner....England have the player of the tournament and a home ground/crowd. Italy can and will call on their defence and shithousery DNA.

may the best actors win!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:47 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:08 am Predictable team selection by Mr Interesting, predictable hard to watch performance from England against a team shorn of their best player, but we'll take the result. :grin: :grin:
What don't you like about the performance Cyril?? We dominated possession, we created 21 chances with 10 on target, we defended well & we got the desired result..
Yes we dominated the game and fully deserved to win, but let's be honest, Denmark didn't offer much up front and it's hard to watch because we're so defensive we're only ever one lucky strike away from disaster.

Stats mean diddly btw, gotta love all that sideways and backwards possession in our own half, we hardly ever missed a pass between Stones and Rice so our completion rate will be good too. I have to say, I don't remember 21 chances, nor 10 on target, but I wasn't counting, perhaps the penalty counts as two ;-)

I don't feel bad about Sterling diving to win a penalty because I thought Kane should have had one before, so it evens out, but it's not great football when you have to resort to cheating. Even for the oggie, Sterling dived over Kjaer throwing his arms in the air, he can't stop himself falling over. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower