Euro 2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Euro 2020

Post by Old Master »

Drop him? Sterling has that magical ability to appear he offers no danger to a defence one moment and to tear it apart the next , with little or no apparent effort.
That is why he scores so many goals at every level.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Old Master recommends keeping sterling in the team.

We've now officially confirmed he shouldn't be in the team.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I cant see Ukraine beating England,with that the road to the title is open with last 2 being home games.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:34 am Nice to beat the 'orrible krauts for once. Press saying Sterling is un-droppable now, I know he’s got 3 goals but does he actually make England better. I honestly think we play better without him

Sterling –
Pros: Runs around a lot
Cons: Can’t pass, can’t cross, can’t shoot, can’t tackle. No composure, error prone, drives into brick walls and falls over. Isolates Kane (or gets in his way), leaves team disjointed. Frustrating to watch

Grealish
Pros: exquisite passing, dribbling & crossing. Impeccable timing, decent shot. Drives at players, beats them or wins dangerous free kicks. Links the play beautifully, brings Kane into the game in the penalty box. A joy to watch
Cons: Stupid haircut, not the best at pressing.

Add Mount, Foden, Sancho & Sakha. So what am I missing with Sterling?
:lol: :lol: 100% agreement from North London

People say he's scored all the goals, but his replacement would be just as likely to score as many and probably might actually help the rest of the play.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:08 pm A pom that's not feeling loved and a Greek that needs a life... Footballnews really does have it all :lol:
And also a Scot that is puzzled at the criticism of Sterling and Southgate from their own countrymen on this forum. Any of you guys big enough to give him and his manager a bit of praise?
Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds- England get knocked out and these guys will be the scapegoats. Win the tournament and they will be the best English side since 1966 (unless your name is Sterling and Southgate).

Sterling scores 3 goals in 4 games from open play and yet N5 1BH says he can't shoot in the Cons. column and doesn't mention his ability to score goals in the Pros. column. No surprise as this is the Gooner that loves to hate (and slate) Tierney, branding him useless and a diver! :oops:

Beginning to think that GIAE is one of the few talking sense about his country's progress in the tournament.

Will be very interesting to see the reaction IF England pull it off with Southgate the Manager of the Tournament and Sterling named as Player of the Tournament.

Beginning to warm to the fact that England might win the bloody thing! :crazy:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:27 pm
MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:08 pm A pom that's not feeling loved and a Greek that needs a life... Footballnews really does have it all :lol:
And also a Scot that is puzzled at the criticism of Sterling and Southgate from their own countrymen on this forum. Any of you guys big enough to give him and his manager a bit of praise?
Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds- England get knocked out and these guys will be the scapegoats. Win the tournament and they will be the best English side since 1966 (unless your name is Sterling and Southgate).

Sterling scores 3 goals in 4 games from open play and yet N5 1BH says he can't shoot in the Cons. column and doesn't mention his ability to score goals in the Pros. column. No surprise as this is the Gooner that loves to hate (and slate) Tierney, branding him useless and a diver! :oops:

Beginning to think that GIAE is one of the few talking sense about his country's progress in the tournament.

Will be very interesting to see the reaction IF England pull it off with Southgate the Manager of the Tournament and Sterling named as Player of the Tournament.

Southgate is a nice bloke who speaks well at press conferences and says the right things to the knobs at the FA, but he's boring and unadventurous, he's too afraid of losing to win big games. Three at the back was a big step forward for him, so hopefully that signals a bit of a change.

Sterling is good at one thing and one thing only and that's being quick enough to get into scoring spaces, but he generally relies on someone else to put it on a plate for him and if it's not squarely in the middle of the plate he'll probably miss, but he will get opportunities. However, he mucks up so many decent plays where we might score by hanging onto the ball trying to beat the whole opposition and when he does occasionally pass it, it's usually rubbish and we are subject to a counterattack. He gets in minimal forward pressure, zero tackles and very few telling passes, but he does score.

The problem for me is that I think that another player, maybe a Rashford, would get in just as many scoring positions, is a better striker and would score just as many goals and offers so much more all around the pitch. He might even pass the ball to Kane once in a while and we would look like a far better team.

It's the difference (in the press) between being a striker and a defender. The forward can play absolute wank all game, score a tap in that my daughter would have scored and he's a hero. The defender plays an absolute blinder but scores an unlucky oggie and he's a zero. However, anyone who understands football knows who played well and who didn't, it's just the way it is.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

N5 1BH wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:32 am
Michael wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:41 am
B.Toomer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 am Fuuck off, you tosser.
What a surprise, a sore winner.....
:roll:
Where was he wrong?

where did I accuse him of being wrong?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Michael wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:01 am
Where was he wrong?

So you do think he’s a tosser?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:27 pm

Weren’t you eulogising over how Ange’s attacking brand of football will improve celtic? I’m confused

This England set up is one of the most expensively produced squads in history. It is generating some of the best young attacking potential we have ever had and we’re lumbered with a coach who, including the goalkeeper, plays 8 defenders and still thinks it’s not enough. Grealish is now 25 years old with only 10 caps, most as sub. Southgate is on record as saying he doesn’t think he is good enough to play for England and has only begrudgingly integrated him into the squad. Southgate is obviously an idiot.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

on the contrary....the one thing you can say about Southgate is that he has learnt from immediate past winners about how to approach 'tournaments'......as well as having the fortitude not to bend to what the scribes and punters want.

using a double pivot in midfield and utilising Grealish as an impact player reinforces the above. Cant wait to see how they try to break down teams that put up a deep block.....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:58 pm on the contrary....the one thing you can say about Southgate is that he has learnt from immediate past winners about how to approach 'tournaments'......as well as having the fortitude not to bend to what the scribes and punters want.

using a double pivot in midfield and utilising Grealish as an impact player reinforces the above. Cant wait to see how they try to break down teams that put up a deep block.....
Yeah, because Gareth has a wonderful record in 'tournaments'. :lol:

Playing two defensive mids against a shite team like Scotland and still struggling says it all really.
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I think youve missed my points....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

N5 1BH wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 pm
Michael wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:01 am
Where was he wrong?

So you do think he’s a tosser?
What are you talking about?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:58 pm on the contrary....the one thing you can say about Southgate is that he has learnt from immediate past winners about how to approach 'tournaments'......as well as having the fortitude not to bend to what the scribes and punters want.

At the end of the day he will be judged on results and if his side is boring and wins the next three games 1-0 he will be a national hero. Did Greek supporters care how boring and defensive when they won Euro 2004?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

my observation wasnt a criticism...... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

you do realise that you have no credibility....like Grosso, only he's likable and doesnt pretend to be anything else.

give us a footballing view.....anything!!

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Italy were a joy to watch ,i hope they just stop the diving.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

It's good that the poms won

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

If England go on and win it at least us Scots can say we were the only team that played them and avoided defeat, on their own turf as well.
Would make us the second best team in the tournament. :lol:

The silence from the Sterling and Southgate haters is quite amusing.

England on a roll but beware the threat of the Danes who have galvanised after the Eriksen incident.

Looking like an England v Italy final at this stage without being disrespectful to the others.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

MetroStars TV Ad wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:46 am It's good that the poms won
its always good when the poms win. what do you reckon mr grosso. :?: :?: :?:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:20 am If England go on and win it at least us Scots can say we were the only team that played them and avoided defeat, on their own turf as well.
Would make us the second best team in the tournament. :lol:

The silence from the Sterling and Southgate haters is quite amusing.

England on a roll but beware the threat of the Danes who have galvanised after the Eriksen incident.

Looking like an England v Italy final at this stage without being disrespectful to the others.
Listen, you can't be critical of a team that wins 4-0 at this stage of a tournament, but it was only Ukraine. Do you reckon Sterling or England were exceptional? I'm super happy they won and Raheem played a great ball through to Kane (who made it look better than it really was with great finish), but the rest of the first half was pretty dull stuff. When we scored so early after the restart I think the Ukranians basically gave up and the marking for the third and fourth goals was practically non-existent.
Danny Blanchflower

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

I'm really surprised the English blokes on this forum aren't more pleased.

Yet to concede in the competition and thru to the semis.

Tournament football is not about looking good - it's about results and at the moment England's have been almost perfect (the Scotland game the only blemish)

I'd be on top of the world if Poland knew how to play tournament football because we haven't got a clue
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Italy v England final would be fun.

Someone has to lose. ;-)
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Frank Costanza wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:39 pm I'm really surprised the English blokes on this forum aren't more pleased.

Tournament football is not about looking good - it's about results and at the moment England's have been almost perfect (the Scotland game the only blemish)

I'd be on top of the world if Poland knew how to play tournament football because we haven't got a clue
Speaking for myself, it's not that I'm not pleased, on the contrary, I'm delighted to see us winning but I've been watching football for so long now I don't get caught up in the result to the exclusion of the performance. Yes, football is ultimately about results, but luck only lasts for so long and, if you keep on making mistakes you won't scrape through in every match, some you'll lose, which in a tournament means going home. We were decidedly average against an ageing Croatia, rubbish against Scotland and average again against the Czechs, all teams that a good side should batter tbh.

So I was really pleased to see some attacking intent against the Germans, going three at the back, boosting the midfield which gave us a platform to play, although the result might have been very different if Muller hadn't missed a sitter, but you can always say that. I was hoping for more of the same against an overperforming Ukraine, but no, back to four at the back and two defensive mids, both of whom are decent players in their own right, but often end up in the same space, forcing one to become another centre half. We scored a good goal really early which I think helped enormously, but it was only after the second goal, again early in the half, that the Ukrainian heads went down and they sort of gave up. For a defence to give up three free headers on the six yard line is unforgiveable.

So I'll be cheering against the Danes, even for Sterling to score on his fourth or fifth chance ;-)

Viva España btw :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

You know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:52 am
Frank Costanza wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:39 pm I'm really surprised the English blokes on this forum aren't more pleased.

Speaking for myself, it's not that I'm not pleased, on the contrary, I'm delighted to see us winning but I've been watching football for so long now I don't get caught up in the result to the exclusion of the performance. Yes, football is ultimately about results, but luck only lasts for so long and, if you keep on making mistakes you won't scrape through in every match, some you'll lose, which in a tournament means going home. We were decidedly average against an ageing Croatia, rubbish against Scotland and average again against the Czechs, all teams that a good side should batter tbh.

So I was really pleased to see some attacking intent against the Germans, going three at the back, boosting the midfield which gave us a platform to play, although the result might have been very different if Muller hadn't missed a sitter, but you can always say that. I was hoping for more of the same against an overperforming Ukraine, but no, back to four at the back and two defensive mids, both of whom are decent players in their own right, but often end up in the same space, forcing one to become another centre half. We scored a good goal really early which I think helped enormously, but it was only after the second goal, again early in the half, that the Ukrainian heads went down and they sort of gave up. For a defence to give up three free headers on the six yard line is unforgiveable.

So I'll be cheering against the Danes, even for Sterling to score on his fourth or fifth chance ;-)

Viva España btw :lol:

Agree with all of that

I don’t know if people realise just how boring England are under Southgate. Boring in the tournaments, really really boring in the qualifiers, and insanely boring in the friendlies. When is international football allowed to become entertaining? fun?

EPL academies are producing an extraordinary amount of exiting talent. Is Gareth the best man to take us to the top level, does he play direct only because he is not able to coach ball players like Grealish, Foden etc. If you had a fridge full of steak, salmon & king prawns but everyday your missus gave you just plain brown rice and green beans coz it’s good for you, eventually you’re going to say shiraz it I want what’s in the fridge

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:19 am
You know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
Yes. I've never claimed to have high standards

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:23 am. If you had a fridge full of steak, salmon & king prawns but everyday your missus gave you just plain brown rice and green beans coz it’s good for you, eventually you’re going to say shiraz it I want what’s in the fridge
Come on. No need to bring old Master and his missus into it. Poor form

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:23 am. If you had a fridge full of steak, salmon & king prawns but everyday your missus gave you just plain brown rice and green beans coz it’s good for you, eventually you’re going to say shiraz it I want what’s in the fridge
We have one of the best strikers in world football, how about that left footed volley from the edge of the box, I'd love to see Sterling try that one, so how about we play to his strengths for a change instead of poncing around getting the passing stats up between Rice and Stones? Who knows, we might even be half decent, but I doubt Gareth will grow a pair any time soon.
Danny Blanchflower