Klopp hails Rashford

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Klopp hails Rashford

Post by Old Master »

Daily Mail
Klopp hails Rashford for his inspirational free school meals campaign

Kieran Jackson For Mailonline 3 hrs ago

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has lavishly praised Marcus Rashford for showing the kind of leadership the Government is failing to provide with his campaign for free school meals.

Klopp joked it was 'tricky' to speak so highly of the 22-year-old England striker because he plays for arch-rivals Manchester United but described his work as 'absolutely incredible'.

Rashford has been waging a high-profile campaign to ensure the poorest children in the country do not go hungry outside of term time, being awarded an MBE earlier this month for his work.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp hailed the inspirational work of Man Utd's Marcus Rashford
'I am not sure I can find any better words than much smarter people have said but what Marcus has started there is absolutely incredible, it is so nice,' said Klopp.

'And with all the rivalry between the clubs, in these moments we are as footballers and as human beings always united.

'It's just nice to show in a time when obviously a lot of people who are really in charge of something and don't show any sign of proper leadership, that a boy grown up in difficult circumstances and blessed with sensational talent, obviously, never forgot his roots and where he is coming from, that he has to do it.'

Earlier this week the Government voted against a Labour motion to extend the scheme, leaving Rashford to pledge to continue the fight backed by many celebrities and politicians.

'It is a bit of a shame that he has to do it but it is wonderful as well. I hope his mother is really proud of him. I don't know him but even I am proud of him,' Klopp added.

'And he plays for United which makes it really tricky! I've heard about Liverpool and Manchester United (rivalry) years and years ago.

Rashford and his mother visited a food charity after MPs voted down his plan to provide free school meals

The Manchester United striker tweeted his thanks to his 3.6million Twitter followers on Friday© Provided by Daily Mail The Manchester United striker tweeted his thanks to his 3.6million Twitter followers on Friday
'But yes that just shows that football can be really wondrous in moments and it shows that the subject is really really serious and that is why everybody puts the rivalry aside and thinks about the more important things in life.

'So I am really happy that Liverpool can show this solidarity in these moments.

'Now he is a role model for that and it is truly great and it won't distract him from his football things.'

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard added: 'He is a fantastic player, a fantastic talent. It is great to see young players with personality and a voice speaking up about things he cares passionately about,' Lampard said.

'I absolutely commend him for that. There's a group of players in the Premier League now who are that sort of age [who are speaking up].

'It doesn't matter who you play for, when people speak out like he does, I think it is a fantastic thing and he deserves his credit for it.'

This week the footballer blasted MPs for rejecting plans to extend free school meals during the Easter holidays, claiming that children 'will go to bed feeling hungry and worthless'© Provided by Daily Mail This week the footballer blasted MPs for rejecting plans to extend free school meals during the Easter holidays, claiming that children 'will go to bed feeling hungry and worthless'

Good to see some solidarity amongst EPL Footballers and their shared support for the downtrodden children of (not so) great Britain. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Klopp hails Rashford

Post by Scholes »

Yes, just need someone to stand up in Australia and do it for the downtrodden children here.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

B.Toomer wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:39 pm Yes, just need someone to stand up in Australia and do it for the downtrodden children here.
It's a very laudable cause, but it would be nice if some of the multi-multi-millionaires actually made a meaningful contribution from their own pockets, rather than lobbying the Government (funded by us poverty stricken plebs) to pay more. Neither Rashford nor Klopp would miss half a million each, then I might listen to them.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

What have you done for downtrodden children? Here is a young bloke who has got up off his muscat & made a difference for under privileged children and all you can do, is come out with a comment like that. :clap:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

B.Toomer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 pm What have you done for downtrodden children? Here is a young bloke who has got up off his muscat & made a difference for under privileged children and all you can do, is come out with a comment like that. :clap:
Words are wonderful and it's great that he's using his fame for a good cause, but just imagine how many children could be fed if every Premier League footballer gave up just one weeks' wages (two would be better). Leaders should lead by example, it's not like it would leave him on the breadline.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

B.Toomer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:54 pm What have you done for downtrodden children? Here is a young bloke who has got up off his muscat & made a difference for under privileged children and all you can do, is come out with a comment like that. :clap:
Dementia has clearly set in. Just ignore him. The comment was one of the the most sickening thing I have ever read on here.

Also if he knew how to use the internet he would see how much Jurgen and his wife do for charity.

If I was a mod, I would give the old man a holiday from here to get better.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am
Dementia has clearly set in. Just ignore him. The comment was one of the the most sickening thing I have ever read on here.

Also if he knew how to use the internet he would see how much Jurgen and his wife do for charity.

If I was a mod, I would give the old man a holiday from here to get better.
The wokest bloke on here has awoken :lol:

Good on you Princess.
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Can’t defend what players are paid because its indefensible but the EPL is a major contributor to the UK economy. Over 3 billion quid paid in taxes alone each year with players contributions over 1 £ billion of that. Rashford is on PAYE and his wages are public so shouldn’t be too difficult to work out how much he pays in tax on his wages part, enough to allow him an opinion.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm Can’t defend what players are paid because its indefensible but the EPL is a major contributor to the UK economy. Over 3 billion quid paid in taxes alone each year with players contributions over 1 £ billion of that. Rashford is on PAYE and his wages are public so shouldn’t be too difficult to work out how much he pays in tax on his wages part, enough to allow him an opinion.
NOC is like Trump, doesn't understand most things - but makes out he is an authority on all things, including taxes. Your sense is wasted.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Champions at last wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:49 pm
N5 1BH wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm Can’t defend what players are paid because its indefensible but the EPL is a major contributor to the UK economy. Over 3 billion quid paid in taxes alone each year with players contributions over 1 £ billion of that. Rashford is on PAYE and his wages are public so shouldn’t be too difficult to work out how much he pays in tax on his wages part, enough to allow him an opinion.
NOC is like Trump, doesn't understand most things - but makes out he is an authority on all things, including taxes. Your sense is wasted.
Maybe they're one and the same. Have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time ?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:01 pm
Champions at last wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:49 pm
Maybe they're one and the same. Have you ever seen them both in the same room at the same time ?
Is The Don a Spurs fan?
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Like most topics on this forum this one has been turned into a 'he said - she said' squabble rather than discussing the post in a sensible and measured style.

The question being asked should be why doesn't the Tory government start looking after the children ion the North who live in poverty?

Why did they run down all the major industries in the North of England and not make even the faintest attempt at seeking alternative employment options for the millions whose jobs were torn away from them?

Why does all the money go to developing the southern counties despite the Northern Counties paying the bulk of taxation monies?

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Didn't they build a warehouse for Sports Direct in Derbyshire, what more do you want ?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

N5 1BH wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:16 pm Didn't they build a warehouse for Sports Direct in Derbyshire, what more do you want ?
A little bit of compassion for the millions who lost everything wouldn't have gone astray.

Unfortunately there are very few of them on the English Conservative side of politics.

thank goodness for young people like Rashford who have the courage to try and do something about the suffering of the poor.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 amWhy does all the money go to developing the southern counties despite the Northern Counties paying the bulk of taxation monies?
I'm not sure exactly where the 'North' starts, but where do you get that idea? London alone generates over a fifth of UK GDP and an even bigger slice of taxation. By the time you add in all the other southern regions and the South Midlands it's well over the amount the 'North' generates or pays.
Danny Blanchflower

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:45 pm
Old Master wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:50 amWhy does all the money go to developing the southern counties despite the Northern Counties paying the bulk of taxation monies?
I'm not sure exactly where the 'North' starts, but where do you get that idea? London alone generates over a fifth of UK GDP and an even bigger slice of taxation. By the time you add in all the other southern regions and the South Midlands it's well over the amount the 'North' generates or pays.
Most Southerners appear to believe the North starts above the 'Watford Gap', whatever that is. :???:

By the way Greater London also has the largest concentration of wealth mainly due to being the largest City in England and the centre of Royal and Political power, not to forget being the Banking and Business Capital of Europe.

For many centuries most the North was the Industrial and Mining capital of Europe with Mining and Steel making leading the way.
The Manchester cotton mills exported to the world as did the Yorkshire Woollen Mills, unfortunately little of monies earnt stayed there.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:12 pm
Nice One Cyril wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:45 pm
Most Southerners appear to believe the North starts above the 'Watford Gap', whatever that is. :???:

By the way Greater London also has the largest concentration of wealth mainly due to being the largest City in England and the centre of Royal and Political power, not to forget being the Banking and Business Capital of Europe.

For many centuries most the North was the Industrial and Mining capital of Europe with Mining and Steel making leading the way.
The Manchester cotton mills exported to the world as did the Yorkshire Woollen Mills, unfortunately little of monies earnt stayed there.
I'm not disputing that historically the Midlands and North were the industrial heartlands for decades, if not centuries, but I am taking issue with your assertion that the said areas pay the bulk of taxation, it's simply BS.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I haven’t read the data but does this answer the question?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _1718.xlsx

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

What a hypocrite.

Has set up his company to ensure he doesn't pay tax and then complains that the government doesn't spend it the way it's supposed to be spent.

2 major comments on the cause.

1. It's is the county council responsibilities to maintain the "school dinners" program, the government fund this and have given extra funding this year for school holiday meals.

2. It is a parents responsibility to feed their children, if they're not doing that then the police should investigate the child abuse.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:10 pm What a hypocrite.

Has set up his company to ensure he doesn't pay tax and then complains that the government doesn't spend it the way it's supposed to be spent.

1. It's is the county council responsibilities to maintain the "school dinners" program, the government fund this and have given extra funding this year for school holiday meals.

2. It is a parents responsibility to feed their children, if they're not doing that then the police should investigate the child abuse.
(1)The councils have lost a lot of their income due to Covid19 as many people have lost their jobs and therefore have no income, so they are struggling to find extra money for school dinners. What they have recieved from the Government is nowhere near enough.

(2) Parents who are out of work have little income and so are struggling to feed their children and pay their bills, electric, gas, rent, etc.
It is not the job of the police to arrest families who cannot afford to feed their children, it is the job of the social security, i.e. the Government to investigate the reasons and fix the problems.
The Police can only act if the parents are committing a crime against their children.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm

(1)The councils have lost a lot of their income due to Covid19 as many people have lost their jobs and therefore have no income, so they are struggling to find extra money for school dinners. What they have recieved from the Government is nowhere near enough.

(2) Parents who are out of work have little income and so are struggling to feed their children and pay their bills, electric, gas, rent, etc.
It is not the job of the police to arrest families who cannot afford to feed their children, it is the job of the social security, i.e. the Government to investigate the reasons and fix the problems.
The Police can only act if the parents are committing a crime against their children.
The government have increased the money given to councils for that reason. Do you know how much councils are given?

How have councils lost their income?

It is the police's job to investigate child abuse, not feeding a child is child abuse. Not feeding a child is most definitely a crime.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Old Master wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Here here Old Master, well said