EPL cuts china TV contract

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

EPL cuts china TV contract

Post by Old Master »

Premier League rights: China deal terminated with immediate effect

Last updated on 3 September 20203 September 2020.
From the section Premier League

China was the Premier League's most lucrative overseas television rights territory
The Premier League has terminated its £564m contract with its Chinese licensee with immediate effect.

China was the English top flight's most lucrative overseas television rights territory, with a three-season deal agreed in 2019.

It is understood the reasons for the termination are financial rather than political.

BBC Sport has been told streaming service PPTV withheld its latest payment of £160m, due in March.

In a statement on Thursday, the Premier League said: "The Premier League confirms that it has today terminated its agreements for Premier League coverage in China with its licensee in that territory.

"The Premier League will not be commenting further on the matter at this stage."

PPTV is owned by Suning Holdings, the Chinese group which also has a controlling stake in Serie A side Inter Milan.

Analysis
BBC sports editor Dan Roan

At a time when the value of domestic TV rights for the Premier League has fallen, China has become a hugely important growth market for the top 20 English clubs.

The bumper PPTV deal represents a significant proportion of the £4bn due to be made between 2019 and 2022 from overseas TV rights, with several English clubs now also backed by Chinese investors and sponsors.

This contract termination seems something of a shock then, and, with the coronavirus pandemic already depriving clubs of hundreds of millions of pounds through lost ticket sales and commercial revenue, the collapse of this agreement is another major financial blow.

Sources insist this all stems from the Chinese broadcaster's failure to make a £160m payment in March - leading to a legal dispute with the Premier League. Despite offering to extend the deal under new terms, PPTV feels the product is no longer worth what they initially agreed to pay, amid the disruption of schedules and the prospect of half-empty grounds.

But could there also be political as well as financial reasons for the decision?

After all the news comes with relations between China and the UK strained over the government's decision to block telecoms giant Huawei from Britain's 5G network amid security concerns. Tensions intensified after the government offered residency to three million people from Hong Kong after China threatened a new security law.

Over to you Grosso. OM :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

nedmac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: EPL cuts china TV contract

Post by nedmac »

160m GBP is a lot of money.

Wonder if they were smart enough to make them pay in advance?

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

china are bullies. bullies exist as long as no one stands up to them. :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:02 pm Over to you Grosso. OM :lol:
Don't pay your bill, you get cut off. Hardly a political conspiracy is it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

theorakle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:11 pm china are bullies. bullies exist as long as no one stands up to them. :roll:
What's that got to do with paying their bill?

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

what then. let china continue to bully the world until they own it. :?: :(

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

I, for one, welcome our new chinese overlords. I'd like to remind them as a trusted social media personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

dont worry our govt is buying 29 hellicopter gunships to scare the chinese with. taxpayer money naturaly. i reckon 29 waterbombers would be more usefull here. comments anyone. :roll:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

theorakle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 am dont worry our govt is buying 29 hellicopter gunships to scare the chinese with. taxpayer money naturaly. i reckon 29 waterbombers would be more usefull here. comments anyone. :roll:
How else are the government buying things if not with taxpayer funds?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

theorakle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 am dont worry our govt is buying 29 hellicopter gunships to scare the chinese with. taxpayer money naturaly. i reckon 29 waterbombers would be more usefull here. comments anyone. :roll:
What has The Premier League terminating its contract with its Chinese company got to do with the Australian Gov buying helicopter gunships?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:43 pm
What has The Premier League terminating its contract with its Chinese company got to do with the Australian Gov buying helicopter gunships?

Nothing

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

remiss of me to ask for comments. what did i get,the usual smart alecs. apologies,i shouldev known better. i still think the water bombers would be more usefull to AUSTRALIA nevertheless. :roll:

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

theorakle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:18 am remiss of me to ask for comments. what did i get,the usual smart alecs. apologies,i shouldev known better. i still think the water bombers would be more usefull to AUSTRALIA nevertheless. :roll:
and now we are buying fighter jets from the yanks as well. perhaps morrison wants to be the worlds next school bully. :thumbdown:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Are you talking to youself :???: :lol:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

theorakle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:18 am remiss of me to ask for comments. what did i get,the usual smart alecs. apologies,i shouldev known better. i still think the water bombers would be more usefull to AUSTRALIA nevertheless. :roll:
We could drown the Chinese planes on their island bases with them. :clap:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

Old Master wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 pm
master. unfortunately only when some pollies palace burns down in a bushfire will the waterbombers suddenly become important and nessesary. :roll:

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Bad move,now the Chinese communist party will force all companies to pay 1% extra tax to fund new best football league in the world,stealing the worlds best players/coaches,EPL will be stuck with domestic players only.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

dont these tinpot dictators look at history and realise all previous dictators end up dying horrible deaths. :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

predrag wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:27 pm EPL will be stuck with domestic players only.
I can only dream

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

theorakle wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:29 pm
Old Master wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 pm
master. unfortunately only when some pollies palace burns down in a bushfire will the waterbombers suddenly become important and nessesary. :roll:
ok. i will ask again. seriously this time. do forumites think waterbombers would be far more usefull to australians in bushfire season than all this military hardware WE are buying from the yanks costing US squillions. as for me i just dont see the point but i would like some SENSIBLE COMMENT on just what forumites think all that money could be better spent on to benefit all australians in general, not just the so called elete. no smart alecs for this one please cos i reckon this is SERIOUS STUFF.cheers. :roll:

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Health/Mental care,Public housing,Electric power plants-infrastructure in general especially roads.Just put US bases her to protect us,as we would be a military target anyway against China if a war broke out because of friendship/bottom licking to USA.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Anyway as many US/UK banks financed the Nazi war machine,so did profits from the petrodollar do to boost China to be the powerhouse that it is today.Open your eyes to see that we are being played by the same small group of people for centuries.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

thank you pedrag. anybody else. :?: :?: :?:

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

theorakle wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 am thank you pedrag. anybody else. :?: :?: :?:
well cbviously not :thumbdown:

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Last week i went for a meet with our local member of parliament,thinking many will be interested in local issues,as everybody i meet weekly btches about things,then i get there & i am one of 3 +MP.People are all talk,no action,so yes i might bore a lot of people who do not give a F!