Salary Caps in League One and Two

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Salary Caps in League One and Two

Post by ozzie owl »

I see the clubs voted in favour of salary caps for season 20/21 . But the players union PFA is looking at a legal challenge .

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Salary Caps in League One and Two

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 pm I see the clubs voted in favour of salary caps for season 20/21 . But the players union PFA is looking at a legal challenge .
The caps appear to be very low IMO. as it means most clubs will be restricted by it and be forced to cut squads to 20 players, according to my sources over there.

I hope they don't introduce a cap in the Championship as it will make it almost impossible for those clubs to mount a serious challenge if lucky enough to get promoted.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:12 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 pm I see the clubs voted in favour of salary caps for season 20/21 . But the players union PFA is looking at a legal challenge .
The caps appear to be very low IMO. as it means most clubs will be restricted by it and be forced to cut squads to 20 players, according to my sources over there.

I hope they don't introduce a cap in the Championship as it will make it almost impossible for those clubs to mount a serious challenge if lucky enough to get promoted.
The pressure is on for this to happen along wth ending parachute payments for relegated sides.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Where is the pressure coming from?

And of course there is a legal challenge, the players weren’t involved in discussions.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Might not have to worry salary cap with many EFL clubs facing extinction due to playing without spectators this season .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -help.html

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 pm Where is the pressure coming from?

And of course there is a legal challenge, the players weren’t involved in discussions.
The pressure is coming from the FA and EFL bosses/owners who have not had any cut to their own salaries.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm
Champions at last wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:00 pm Where is the pressure coming from?

The pressure is coming from the FA and EFL bosses/owners who have not had any cut to their own salaries.
Where has your information come from that they have not taken any pay cuts?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Let's hope the legal challenge is successful, England is not a communist country.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Let's hope the legal challenge is successful, England is not a communist country.
Are salary caps basically equivalent of maximum wage? Uk had that - and it wasn’t communist then either ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Champions at last wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Are salary caps basically equivalent of maximum wage? Uk had that - and it wasn’t communist then either ?

Maximum wages are wrong as well.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:50 pm

Maximum wages are wrong as well.
I agree, and my question wasn’t nit picking, it was genuine.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

I hate to argue with you because you're always right, or so you tell me, but aren't salary caps a limit on the aggregate of all the salaries in the squad, not an individual restriction? So they're not really anything like a maximum wage, which is an individual cap.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Of course it is the aggregate of everyone. However, it is still a maximum wage as if you decide to play all amateurs bar one, that one person could only earn the salary cap. Thus, there would be a maximum wage.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:52 pm Of course it is the aggregate of everyone. However, it is still a maximum wage as if you decide to play all amateurs bar one, that one person could only earn the salary cap. Thus, there would be a maximum wage.
Very true. How many amateurs do you know that play for League 1 or 2 clubs?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:41 pm
I hate to argue with you because you're always right, or so you tell me, but aren't salary caps a limit on the aggregate of all the salaries in the squad, not an individual restriction? So they're not really anything like a maximum wage, which is an individual cap.
You are right, and I did say basically, which was wrong. I would say having a maximum wage would give you a salray cap though.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:57 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:52 pm Of course it is the aggregate of everyone. However, it is still a maximum wage as if you decide to play all amateurs bar one, that one person could only earn the salary cap. Thus, there would be a maximum wage.
Very true. How many amateurs do you know that play for League 1 or 2 clubs?

None, but the principle is that there is a maximum that one person can be paid under a salary cap.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Back in the day, wages in the UK were far lower than in Europe, even top class players in Division One got less than the average top division player in Germany, France and Holland back then.

When I played in France (I'm not bragging here or big noting my self, as you lot usually accuse me of doing when I mention my experience) I was paid as much in the French second division as top players in the UK and the standard there was much less than over in the UK.
Germany players were paid far more than anywhere else in Europe, as Kevin Keegan found out to his delight.

Fortunately for today's players, wages in England are among the best in the world.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Did you play professionally in Europe? You've never mentioned that before.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:01 pm Did you play professionally in Europe? You've never mentioned that before.
You've been informed of that before and you know it. :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details