EPL 2019-2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: EPL 2019-2020

Post by ozzie owl »

ozzie owl wrote:
Stitch This wrote:Fat Frank finding his groove and Potch for the drop :P
The transfer ban is certainly helping accelerating the development of Chelsea’s young talent .

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

You always get a new manager 'bounce', even Ole got it, but he'll be returning to Earth very shortly. :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Newcastle's young Longstaff was amazing against Manchester United,England has a great talent in him.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

predrag wrote:Newcastle's young Longstaff was amazing against Manchester United,England has a great talent in him.
Everybody said the same about Alli and Wilshere
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

predrag wrote:Newcastle's young Longstaff was amazing against Manchester United,England has a great talent in him.
The delusion continues :shock:
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Hell, is Leicester on a roll again for the title? Watched the first half live (0-5), couldn’t believe the Saints’ surrender. So easy to slice through their defence, even though they had a back five.

Leicester eventually scored 4 more goals with Vardy & Perez bagging hat-tricks. Ominous.
Last edited by Con M on Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:Hell, is Leicester on roll again for the title? Watched the first half live (0-5), couldn’t believe the Saints’ surrender. So easy to slice through their defence, even though they had a back five.

Leicester eventually scored 4 more goals with Vardy & Perez bagging hat-tricks. Ominous.
As good as Leicester were the Saints were terrible simply laid down and it could have been easily 12-0.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:Hell, is Leicester on a roll again for the title? Watched the first half live (0-5), couldn’t believe the Saints’ surrender. So easy to slice through their defence, even though they had a back five.

I have only seen the highlights but all of the goals were quality and the GK could not stop any of them. Poor defensive effort by Southampton at home. Rodgers has his team purring along fine atm.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Hell, is Leicester on a roll again for the title? Watched the first half live (0-5), couldn’t believe the Saints’ surrender. So easy to slice through their defence, even though they had a back five.

TBF Saints played 80 minutes with ten men. They were still poor, but it makes a massive difference at this level.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

TBF Saints played 80 minutes with ten men. They were still poor, but it makes a massive difference at this level.
Agree to a point, but the performance by Southampton wasn't due to 10 men. The incompetence, lack of desire, clulessness etc was an embarrassment.
I could say like watching Spurs at Brighton, but I don't want to say anything bad about Spurs as it may come to bite me on the ass in 36 hours!

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

VAR ruining the game! :twisted:
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

haywood djablowme wrote:VAR ruining the game! :twisted:
It ain't going away FIFA are locked into it.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
It had better be fixed though. Arsenal were robbed today. It wasn't VAR per se, but the incompetence of the men deciding it was a foul.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

six and out wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
It had better be fixed though. Arsenal were robbed today. It wasn't VAR per se, but the incompetence of the men deciding it was a foul.
There's no problem with VAR itself, but we're spending more time arguing about VAR decisions (which should all be correct) than we did over ref's decisions. The penalty they gave against Michael Keane and the sending off of Ryan Bertrand were joke decisions. I thought they got the Arsenal one spot on :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I thought they got the Arsenal one spot on :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

six and out wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
With some decisions namely penalties and hand balls even with VAR there will be cases where it is still going to be down a opinion and hence constency will remain an issue.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

The English FA have made a solid balls up of VAR. I watched the Serie A this morning and the ref has final call on a decision. In the RPL the VAR is the final word in other word VAR is re-refereeing the match taking decision out of ref hands. Bad call.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1190707206137794567

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard says VAR is "not in a great place" after more controversy in his side's 2-1 victory at winless Watford.
The Blues were coasting towards the three points at Vicarage Road after goals from Tammy Abraham and Christian Pulisic.
But Watford were allowed back into the game in the final 10 minutes when VAR awarded them a penalty for Jorginho's trip on Gerard Deulofeu, who converted the spot-kick.
Referee Anthony Taylor's original decision was overturned after a lengthy checking process at Stockley Park and Lampard insists that was at odds with what he thought was decided at a Premier League meeting he attended this week.
"I have got to be careful. Last week we saw a change in VAR, a clear change in penalties getting overturned," he said.
"I was at a managers' meeting in the week. We spoke a lot about it and the absolute consensus from managers, referees, Premier League was that decisions were not going to get overturned unless they were absolutely clear and obvious, if VAR saw something on the pitch that the referee didn't see.
"This didn't, it nowhere near showed that. The longer it took, the more worried I got.

"I am so, so surprised from coming away on Thursday from that meeting to then having that decision today. We're not in a great place with it.
"Anything that takes that long means that there is something they are not sure about, so then why aren't we using the screens on the side of the pitch?
"I know it is a bit contentious, but if we are going to start saying there are grey areas when turning over decisions because one referee somewhere else thinks it's more of a penalty than the referee on the pitch did, then I think we are in a really dangerous place.
"We are going to be tossing a coin every week to see what decisions you get."
Even though it was controversial, Chelsea should never have been in the position where they were hanging on to the game after dominating at Vicarage Road.
Abraham's fifth-minute goal was followed by Pulisic's effort in the second half, but it could have been far more handsome had it not been for a heroic performance by Hornets goalkeeper Ben Foster, who made a string of saves.
In the end, it was a brilliant save by Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga with the last action that protected the three points when he kept out a header from Foster.
"We dominated the game, played some great football for big periods of it, created some real chances," Lampard said.
"You have to give credit to Ben Foster because he made some great saves, but we feel there is at least three or four goals in that game, which does put it to bed. Two never does.
"We have felt that already this season. It shouldn't take anything away from us but it has been the story of our season."
For Watford, they have now set a new club record as they are yet to win in their opening 11 league matches and things are looking bleak.
Recently-appointed manager Quique Sanches Flores does not appear to have too much credit in the bank with the club's fans after they sang 'You don't know what you're doing' after one of the Spaniard's substitutions.
He says tensions with fans are creating more obstacles for his side.
"It is normal," he said. "In this situation you need to manage a lot of things, it is not just about the results.
"You have to care about the players and the fans. At the moment between the fans and the players we have a missing link and it is creating more obstacles than we already have.
"To manage so many things this is not easy. It is tough and difficult.
"We are not the same coach sometimes when we have many things to manage."

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote:The English FA have made a solid balls up of VAR. I watched the Serie A this morning and the ref has final call on a decision. In the RPL the VAR is the final word in other word VAR is re-refereeing the match taking decision out of ref hands. Bad call.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1190707206137794567

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard says VAR is "not in a great place" after more controversy in his side's 2-1 victory at winless Watford.
The Blues were coasting towards the three points at Vicarage Road after goals from Tammy Abraham and Christian Pulisic.
But Watford were allowed back into the game in the final 10 minutes when VAR awarded them a penalty for Jorginho's trip on Gerard Deulofeu, who converted the spot-kick.
Referee Anthony Taylor's original decision was overturned after a lengthy checking process at Stockley Park and Lampard insists that was at odds with what he thought was decided at a Premier League meeting he attended this week.
"I have got to be careful. Last week we saw a change in VAR, a clear change in penalties getting overturned," he said.
"I was at a managers' meeting in the week. We spoke a lot about it and the absolute consensus from managers, referees, Premier League was that decisions were not going to get overturned unless they were absolutely clear and obvious, if VAR saw something on the pitch that the referee didn't see.
"This didn't, it nowhere near showed that. The longer it took, the more worried I got.

"I am so, so surprised from coming away on Thursday from that meeting to then having that decision today. We're not in a great place with it.
"Anything that takes that long means that there is something they are not sure about, so then why aren't we using the screens on the side of the pitch?
"I know it is a bit contentious, but if we are going to start saying there are grey areas when turning over decisions because one referee somewhere else thinks it's more of a penalty than the referee on the pitch did, then I think we are in a really dangerous place.
"We are going to be tossing a coin every week to see what decisions you get."
Even though it was controversial, Chelsea should never have been in the position where they were hanging on to the game after dominating at Vicarage Road.
Abraham's fifth-minute goal was followed by Pulisic's effort in the second half, but it could have been far more handsome had it not been for a heroic performance by Hornets goalkeeper Ben Foster, who made a string of saves.
In the end, it was a brilliant save by Chelsea keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga with the last action that protected the three points when he kept out a header from Foster.
"We dominated the game, played some great football for big periods of it, created some real chances," Lampard said.
"You have to give credit to Ben Foster because he made some great saves, but we feel there is at least three or four goals in that game, which does put it to bed. Two never does.
"We have felt that already this season. It shouldn't take anything away from us but it has been the story of our season."
For Watford, they have now set a new club record as they are yet to win in their opening 11 league matches and things are looking bleak.
Recently-appointed manager Quique Sanches Flores does not appear to have too much credit in the bank with the club's fans after they sang 'You don't know what you're doing' after one of the Spaniard's substitutions.
He says tensions with fans are creating more obstacles for his side.
"It is normal," he said. "In this situation you need to manage a lot of things, it is not just about the results.
"You have to care about the players and the fans. At the moment between the fans and the players we have a missing link and it is creating more obstacles than we already have.
"To manage so many things this is not easy. It is tough and difficult.
"We are not the same coach sometimes when we have many things to manage."
Have to agree with Fat Frank, the VAR ref should NEVER be making a decision except for offsides, his sole job should be to draw the attention of the ref to something the ref may have missed and the ref should then be checking his own work on the pitch side monitor. What is the point of a monitor pitch side if it's never used?
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Watford off the bottom with 1st win.

Liverpool v City will be enormous. City might be struggling for GK.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
You always get a new manager 'bounce', even Ole got it, but he'll be returning to Earth very shortly. :wink:
I'm loving the bounce :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Looks like Leicester and Chelsea may still pose as much as a threat as Man City.

Enjoyed the result very much :D
Ignore this signature

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:Looks like Leicester and Chelsea may still pose as much as a threat as Man City.

celebrating, so soon?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Michael wrote:
Bomber wrote:Looks like Leicester and Chelsea may still pose as much as a threat as Man City.

celebrating, so soon?
Yes, silly me, enjoying a win in a huge fixture...….
Ignore this signature

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:
Michael wrote:

celebrating, so soon?
Yes, silly me, enjoying a win in a huge fixture...….

I bet, you have the tattoo booking done, already
:wink:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

THE SUN
Premier League refs and assistants were left stunned when chief Mike Riley told them: "I'm well pleased with the way VAR is operating."

With people like this in charge its no wonder they are having issues.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote:THE SUN
Premier League refs and assistants were left stunned when chief Mike Riley told them: "I'm well pleased with the way VAR is operating."

And Neil Swarbrick, who's in charge of VAR gives it 7 out of 10. WTF, who spends millions on a system that only works at 70%?
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

And Neil Swarbrick, who's in charge of VAR gives it 7 out of 10. WTF, who spends millions on a system that only works at 70%?
VAR is the worst "change" to our game I've seen in my life. I simply hate it. Same goes for video reviews in other sports.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

VAR is the worst "change" to our game I've seen in my life. I simply hate it. Same goes for video reviews in other sports.
Agree entirely but it's not going away now.

Some tech is good, eg. the goal line technology which has totally stopped all arguments about the ball crossing the line. It's black and white, either in or out, but they're using VAR (which is simply camera footage really) in the wrong way. I don't mind them making calls about offside, whether you're 1mm or 1m offside is no difference, it's offside, but they have to stop re-reffing games from the VAR box. If they think the ref has missed something, VAR should make no comment or judgement other than to tell the ref go to the pitchside monitor and then let him assess his original call, that's all, and what the ref is looking at should be shown on the screens at the grounds so the crowd has some idea what the hell the holdup is for.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Some tech is good, eg. the goal line technology which has totally stopped all arguments about the ball crossing the line. It's black and white, either in or out, but they're using VAR (which is simply camera footage really) in the wrong way. I don't mind them making calls about offside, whether you're 1mm or 1m offside is no difference, it's offside, but they have to stop re-reffing games from the VAR box. If they think the ref has missed something, VAR should make no comment or judgement other than to tell the ref go to the pitchside monitor and then let him assess his original call, that's all, and what the ref is looking at should be shown on the screens at the grounds so the crowd has some idea what the hell the holdup is for.
The lines they use are more than camera angles.
The off side law needs looking at again too. Maybe inline is onside, or it's your foot that is off side etc, this armpit, shoulder stuff is too obscure.
Time limits for decisions as well. It took almost as long for the Sheff Utd goal to be ruled out than Mane and Fowler took to score a hat trick.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Last one Standing wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

The lines they use are more than camera angles.
The off side law needs looking at again too. Maybe inline is onside, or it's your foot that is off side etc, this armpit, shoulder stuff is too obscure.
Time limits for decisions as well. It took almost as long for the Sheff Utd goal to be ruled out than Mane and Fowler took to score a hat trick.
Re offside I would think that the torso should be the only measurement, ie a bit like how they judge a 100m sprint race. End of, the "in line with" doubt which once used to go to the benefit of the defending team, recently changed to the attacking team (a good move). But the VAR basically kills that if you have a finger in an offside position. Silly really and nit-picking at it's finest.
We are human and make mistakes - players, coaches, refs and spectators. The game survived 150 years on the human element and it's just gone way too far now and its slowly killing the game.
Even with VAR, there is and will be mistakes made, so why really bother?
Ignore this signature