EPL 2019-2020

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: EPL 2019-2020

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Last one Standing wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Agree entirely but it's not going away now.

Some tech is good, eg. the goal line technology which has totally stopped all arguments about the ball crossing the line. It's black and white, either in or out, but they're using VAR (which is simply camera footage really) in the wrong way. I don't mind them making calls about offside, whether you're 1mm or 1m offside is no difference, it's offside, but they have to stop re-reffing games from the VAR box. If they think the ref has missed something, VAR should make no comment or judgement other than to tell the ref go to the pitchside monitor and then let him assess his original call, that's all, and what the ref is looking at should be shown on the screens at the grounds so the crowd has some idea what the hell the holdup is for.
The lines they use are more than camera angles.
The off side law needs looking at again too. Maybe inline is onside, or it's your foot that is off side etc, this armpit, shoulder stuff is too obscure.
Time limits for decisions as well. It took almost as long for the Sheff Utd goal to be ruled out than Mane and Fowler took to score a hat trick.
Inline is onside anyway as the advantage goes to the attacker, but whatever measurement you set the line at it will always be subjective. I don't really see how they know exactly where someone's armpit is when it's inside a shirt, but so long as they use a consistent rule, I can live with it. The time taken is just pathetic, especially as the crowd don't get to see what's going on, all they've got to do is freeze the appropriate frame, pick the two reference points and the computer draws the lines. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds, even on a very close one.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:But the VAR basically kills that if you have a finger in an offside position.

Even with VAR, there is and will be mistakes made, so why really bother?
They only use the parts of the body with which you can score for VAR decisions, but I'm baffled as to how they know where the shoulder ends and the arm begins when the player is on the opposite side of the pitch and his anatomy is under a shirt.

I think it would improve dramatically if they just made the pitch ref go and look at the footage and stop the plonker in the box overriding him.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:But the VAR basically kills that if you have a finger in an offside position.

They only use the parts of the body with which you can score for VAR decisions, but I'm baffled as to how they know where the shoulder ends and the arm begins when the player is on the opposite side of the pitch and his anatomy is under a shirt.

I think it would improve dramatically if they just made the pitch ref go and look at the footage and stop the plonker in the box overriding him.
Given the game survived for over a century without VAR and kept a virtual uniform application of the LOTG across all levels, do you really think it is a good thing for the game to have differing aspects of refereeing, ie the "have leagues" are assessed differently to the "have not" leagues?

Refs are even worse off now if you ask me under VAR - as some applications of the LOTG are left to on field judgement, yet other aspects aren't.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Given the game survived for over a century without VAR and kept a virtual uniform application of the LOTG across all levels, do you really think it is a good thing for the game to have differing aspects of refereeing, ie the "have leagues" are assessed differently to the "have not" leagues?

Refs are even worse off now if you ask me under VAR - as some applications of the LOTG are left to on field judgement, yet other aspects aren't.
It's progress, you Luddite :lol:

I'd rather not have it, but it can't be uninvented so, since it seems to be here to stay, might as well make it work.
Danny Blanchflower

Okinotorishima
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Okinotorishima »

Let me know when it works (adequately).

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Stitch This wrote:Fat Frank finding his groove and Potch for the drop :P
You read it here first

Oh, and Emery next :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Stitch This wrote:
Stitch This wrote:Fat Frank finding his groove and Potch for the drop :P
You read it here first

Oh, and Emery next :P
:lol: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once a year.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Watching the Watford v Palace game this morning and I'm still wondering how Deeney didn't get a penalty when the defender, Cahill I think, tried to put a sleeper hold on him and dragged him to the ground. Somehow the ref gave nothing and, more bizarrely, VAR didn't even bother to look at it.

WTF, they must have been having a nap in the VAR booth.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Watching the PL this weekend and you can see why the bottom three are where they are. Defensively all three of them just shoot themselves in the foot.

I suspect that those are the three that will go down, although if Bournemouth get past all their injury problems, they might just escape.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Watching the PL this weekend and you can see why the bottom three are where they are. Defensively all three of them just shoot themselves in the foot.

I suspect that those are the three that will go down, although if Bournemouth get past all their injury problems, they might just escape.
Bournemouth are in freefall.
Not sure how Villa beat Liverpool 5-0

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

great win from Leeds overnight, coming from 2-0 down.
Biesla will be coaching in Premier League next year
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Michael wrote:great win from Leeds overnight, coming from 2-0 down.
Biesla will be coaching in Premier League next year

SSSSSHHHHHHHH its not over the line just yet - but yes a pretty good come back win - a few well chosen words must have been said at half time. :wink:

Im still getting over losing away to QPR - that's a game Leeds should not have lost.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Mr Red wrote:Im still getting over losing away to QPR....
Up the Rs, so to speak :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Crazy this January transfer period. Chelsea must have spent millions on lawyers to get into it and then not do a deal. MU pick up a loan player from China. I'd put him in quarantine asap. :roll:

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Mr Red wrote:Im still getting over losing away to QPR....
Up the Rs, so to speak :wink:
I just new I shouldn't watch the Leeds V Wigan game - Leeds again dominated nearly the whole game to lose to goal straight from a corner with the aid of the wind. :oops:

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inoue Waka »

It's always great to see the scum lose.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Inoue Waka wrote:It's always great to see the scum lose.
+1
Danny Blanchflower

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

Did anyone see the fantastic helicopter celebration by the Newcastle supporter overnight??? Absolutely brilliant and all caught on camera :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Rookie wrote:Did anyone see the fantastic helicopter celebration by the Newcastle supporter overnight??? Absolutely brilliant and all caught on camera :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On live TV so it couldn't be edited out. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

How did VAR not issue a red card for Lo Celso stamp on Azpilicueta?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:How did VAR not issue a red card for Lo Celso stamp on Azpilicueta?
Because they made a huge mistake, and admitted it.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The Normal One. wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:How did VAR not issue a red card for Lo Celso stamp on Azpilicueta?

That’s not how.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Normal One. wrote:
The on pitch ref could make that mistake without having any technology, so what exactly is the point of VAR as currently used?
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
The on pitch ref could make that mistake without having any technology, so what exactly is the point of VAR as currently used?
I agree NOC I thought it was supposed to correct clear and obvious errors ?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:The on pitch ref could make that mistake without having any technology, so what exactly is the point of VAR as currently used?
I agree NOC I thought it was supposed to correct clear and obvious errors ?
What we need is VAVAR to correct the errors of the VAR. :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
To give us all something new to moan about!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Glad I got up to watch 3 terrific goals by Arsenal to overcome Everton.

Now only 4 points and striking distance of 5th spot.

Is it confirmed that 5th position gets a Club into the Champions League if ManCity’s sanction stands?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Glad I got up to watch 3 terrific goals by Arsenal to overcome Everton.

Is it confirmed that 5th position gets a Club into the Champions League if ManCity’s sanction stands?
Yes. EPL gets four spots whatever happens.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Con M wrote:Glad I got up to watch 3 terrific goals by Arsenal to overcome Everton.

Not if City drop out the top 4.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Normal One. wrote:

Not if City drop out the top 4.
:lol: That looks really likely.
Danny Blanchflower