Blackpool finally get new Owner

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Blackpool finally get new Owner

Post by Old Master »

Blackpool: Simon Sadler announced as new owner of League One club

Blackpool

Blackpool have announced Simon Sadler as the new owner of the League One club following English Football League approval.
Receivers have run the club since February after ex-owner Owen Oyston's 31-year reign ended in the High Court.
Sadler, who was born and raised in Blackpool, has worked in asset management in Hong Kong since 2007.
In addition to purchasing 96.2% of the club, Sadler takes control of the Seasiders' stadium and adjoining hotel.
The deal, in which Sadler is acting in an individual and personal capacity and not through a third-party company, also includes the club's training ground.
"By providing financial stability and investment over time, my intention is for the club to achieve its full potential. I will ensure that the club is managed with the interests of all stakeholders in mind," Sadler said in a statement on the club's website.
"I would like to thank the joint receivers and the current board, management and staff for having chaperoned the club during this time of transition.
"I would also like to thank the fans and the wider community for re-engaging with the club after a lengthy period of turmoil."

Meanwhile, executive chairman Michael Bolingbroke, managing director Ben Hatton and non-executive director Ian Currie will continue in their roles at the club "for the next few months".

A long road to new ownership
The new ownership marks the end of a tumultuous period in Blackpool's history, which was heightened when ex-director Valeri Belokon successfully sued Oyston and his son Karl, the club's former chief executive.
Belokon brought legal action after discovering that they had "asset-stripped" the Tangerines by paying themselves huge bonuses and salaries following the club's season in the Premier League in 2010-11.
Oyston was ordered to buy Belokon out for £31m in November 2017 but the club were eventually put into receivership by the High Court in February as Oyston was forced to pay Belokon the £25m he was still owed.
That ended Oyston's association with the club, a period during which a large section of supporters boycotted matches and held protests for several years over the family's running of the Lancashire club.

Analysis
BBC Radio Lancashire's Andy Bayes

This is the news that Blackpool fans have been waiting for, not just since going in to receivership in February, but for a number of years.
The relationship between the support base and the former owners was nonexistent with the club falling from the Premier League to League Two in just five years.
Simon Sadler is inheriting a club with potential and a base to build on with the solid work already in place from the current board. It remains to be seen whether the budget handed to manager Terry McPhillips is going to significantly change, but it's imperative that the players have 21st century training facilities and a pitch fit for purpose to move forward.
It's probably fair to say that Blackpool might the be party capital of the UK for the coming days.

My 'phones have ringing hot all weekend since the deal was finally announced and everyone is just so happy that it is a locally raised person, who was a regular attendee at 'Pool home games growing up has bought the club.
Simon maintained his relationship with the club's supporter groups from his base in Hong Kong and tried to buy the club once before but the Oystons refused to sell to him, as he supported the boycotts by fans.
I wish him and thew club every success in the coming seasons and a 'Sandgrownun' I am the happiest I have been in many years.
'On the 'Pool' OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Blackpool finally get new Owner

Post by THE ORAKLE »

hooray, im happy for blackpool and their fans. they deserved better than the oystons. well in pool. :D

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

THE ORAKLE wrote:hooray, im happy for blackpool and their fans. they deserved better than the oystons. well in pool. :D

Thanks Oracle, the new owner is a former local and supporter and has already had meetings with the various supporter groups and advised him of his plans and given them a time scale of when things will be done.

The son of one of my mate's knows Simon well and believes he will bring in a new management structure that involves the supporter groups on the board, so everyone in Blackpool is grenache-a-hoop over his takeover. :D :D :D

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Blackpool chairman Michael Bolingbroke is confident the club’s new owner, Simon Sadler, is in it for the long haul.

The 49-year-old was confirmed as the club’s new custodian on Thursday, the lifelong Pool fan acquiring a 96.2 per cent stake in the club.

Bolingbroke, who is being kept on as the club’s executive chairman for the next few months at least, believes Sadler is the perfect fit.

“I think it’s really great news,” he told BBC Radio Lancashire.

“Everyone has been really patient, because everyone has wanted to hear the news for some time. But it was worth the wait.

“This is really, really fabulous news for Blackpool Football Club.

“Simon Sadler is the perfect owner for the club, I don’t know how else to put it.

“He is in this for the long term. When you talk to him about how long he wants to run the club for, he talks in terms of decades.

“He’s a local lad, he’s someone who completely understands the link between a football club and the community.

“In talking to him, the community work the club does is as important to him as any other aspect – which is wonderful to hear.

“He understands the full picture of what the club does, way past just first-team work.

“He talks about the training centre, improving the academy, and then there’s all the work he wants to do to link the community with the club.

“He really, really loves his football, too. So he’s the perfect owner and I’m really happy with the process and I’m really happy for every fan.

“I think the fans have been incredible. They’ve been through quite the journey and this is a great, great result at the end of that.

“Credit also to (receiver) Paul Cooper for the work he has done here.

“It was a very thorough process and the end result is what everyone dreamed of really.”

Born and raised in Blackpool, Sadler has been a lifelong fan of the club having watched his first game at Bloomfield Road in 1977 at the age of eight.

He was also present at Wembley on May 22, 2010 to witness the club gain promotion to the Premier League.

Since 2014, he has been the proud owner of Sir Stanley Matthews’ 1953 FA Cup winner’s medal, currently on loan to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

Sadler held senior roles in finance before setting up an asset management business, Segantii Capital Management, in Hong Kong in 2007, where he remains chief investment officer.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

blackpool,one of my favourate places. my family owned the Manchester hotel years ago,i had my honeymoon there though my favourate pub was the foxhall. used to go on the coach from Manchester with mates on weekends as a teenager,not only to bloomfield road but always when man utd were there. we always went to pablos for fish and chips afterwards and then to the pleasure beach where there were lots of teenage girls. the illuminations down the golden mile were great and years later I would take my wife and kids to see them. wonderfull memories master. I hope to see the tangerines back in the premier league soon and wish them well,except when they play man utd naturaly. cheers. :D

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
The son of one of my mate's knows Simon well
:lol:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

What's funny about that, you idiot?

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Old Master wrote:

What's funny about that, you idiot?

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

you should be used to GIAE having his little dig by now master. he does it to everyone but in his defence he is not impolite or personaly insulting. unlike some others on here :roll:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

THE ORAKLE wrote:you should be used to GIAE having his little dig by now master. he does it to everyone but in his defence he is not impolite or personaly insulting. unlike some others on here :roll:

I think you missed a large percentage of his posts Oracle. if you think he's not 'impolite or personally insulting'.

He just thinks he's superior to everyone else, which of course he isn't, he just takes pleasure from putting people down and accusing them of being liars, due to his inability to accept that they have done things he has never been capable of, like having a wide life experience and having made numerous friends and contacts over the years.

He enjoys being a troll due to being inferior, like most of his ilk.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
THE ORAKLE wrote:you should be used to GIAE having his little dig by now master. he does it to everyone but in his defence he is not impolite or personaly insulting. unlike some others on here :roll:

I think you missed a large percentage of his posts Oracle. if you think he's not 'impolite or personally insulting'.

He just thinks he's superior to everyone else, which of course he isn't, he just takes pleasure from putting people down and accusing them of being liars, due to his inability to accept that they have done things he has never been capable of, like having a wide life experience and having made numerous friends and contacts over the years.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Old Master wrote:

Point proven
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

I was just trying to be diplomatic,its not my nature to be nasty to anyone and certainly not to people ive never met, although some people on here get my goat I do confess. at least I have an opinion and I air it. that should not leave me or anyone else open to abuse or smartarse replys instead of a counter opinion or an alternative suggestion or constructive criticism which I would welcome. after all it is supposed to be a debating forum isn't it. in the end we are all different and get our respective jollies in many different ways so, in a supposedly free society we shall all have to put up with it,whether we like it or not. back to the topic. I hope blackpool is now on the rise. the oystons should do time for what they did to the club. perhaps a list will come out about bad owners and the oystons would be high on that list. I hope simon will make blackpool great again. :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:

Point proven

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

THE ORAKLE wrote:I was just trying to be diplomatic,its not my nature to be nasty to anyone and certainly not to people ive never met, although some people on here get my goat I do confess. at least I have an opinion and I air it. that should not leave me or anyone else open to abuse or smartarse replys instead of a counter opinion or an alternative suggestion or constructive criticism which I would welcome. after all it is supposed to be a debating forum isn't it. in the end we are all different and get our respective jollies in many different ways so, in a supposedly free society we shall all have to put up with it,whether we like it or not. back to the topic. I hope blackpool is now on the rise. the oystons should do time for what they did to the club. perhaps a list will come out about bad owners and the oystons would be high on that list. I hope simon will make blackpool great again. :roll:

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

THE ORAKLE wrote:I was just trying to be diplomatic,its not my nature to be nasty to anyone and certainly not to people ive never met, although some people on here get my goat I do confess. at least I have an opinion and I air it. that should not leave me or anyone else open to abuse or smartarse replys instead of a counter opinion or an alternative suggestion or constructive criticism which I would welcome. after all it is supposed to be a debating forum isn't it. in the end we are all different and get our respective jollies in many different ways so, in a supposedly free society we shall all have to put up with it,whether we like it or not. back to the topic. I hope blackpool is now on the rise. the oystons should do time for what they did to the club. perhaps a list will come out about bad owners and the oystons would be high on that list. I hope simon will make blackpool great again. :roll:

According to my mate's son, who I spoke to when he rang me over the last weekend, Simon is prepared to sort out all the issues the Qystons have neglected over their time as owners.

Of particular concern is the 'training ground' which is an absolute disgrace, most amateur clubs in SA have better facilities.

The ground is basically a bit of grass laid over beach sand, no changing facilities, one portaloo (which replaced the drop loo that was there when I was training there as a youngster, before the youth teams moved to a local school ground) and no modern lights for night training.

He has already halted recently commenced works to improve the Home pitch and brought in a professional Football ground construction company to replace the current landscaping contractors.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

According to my mate's son,

that was there when I was training there as a youngster

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Old Master wrote:

According to my mate's son, who I spoke to when he rang me over the last weekend, Simon is prepared to sort out all the issues the Qystons have neglected over their time as owners.

Of particular concern is the 'training ground' which is an absolute disgrace, most amateur clubs in SA have better facilities.

The ground is basically a bit of grass laid over beach sand, no changing facilities, one portaloo (which replaced the drop loo that was there when I was training there as a youngster, before the youth teams moved to a local school ground) and no modern lights for night training.

He has already halted recently commenced works to improve the Home pitch and brought in a professional Football ground construction company to replace the current landscaping contractors.
Doesn't look to bad, seems to have buildings and even looks to have a number of pitches. Perhaps your mates son is not as in the know as you make out

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/sq ... 0535?hl=en
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Old Master wrote:

So what part of what he wrote is not true?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:
Old Master wrote:

I do not know which is why I didn't claim any of it wasn't true.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Raich Carter wrote:
Old Master wrote:

Doesn't look to bad, seems to have buildings and even looks to have a number of pitches. Perhaps your mates son is not as in the know as you make out

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/sq ... 0535?hl=en

Sorry to disappoint you Raich but the buildings there are hired portables, brought in by the Court appointed receivers running the club after the Oystons were thrown out by the Courts and trying to provide the players with a half decent facility..

There are two pitches there but one actually belongs to a private school and is shared with the club when fit to use.

The pitches were relayed the day after the receivers took over, all the reat of the land around the traing area is privately owned.
The land to the left is scheduled for housing and the land at the bottom belongs to a Golf club all other land around is owned by private companies and is part of the Airport precinct - the airport is all but closed these days.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Michael wrote:
Old Master wrote:

It is all true, it's just the fools way of trying to make something out of nothing, just to get a response.
I wouldn't bother really but if I don't respond he makes out what he is purporting must be true.
I think he's just a sad pathetic individual who gets his jollies out of annoying other people who nave fulfilling lives - his must so empty.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:It is all true, it's just the fools way of trying to make something out of nothing, just to get a response.
I wouldn't bother really but if I don't respond he makes out what he is purporting must be true.
I think he's just a sad pathetic individual who gets his jollies out of annoying other people who nave fulfilling lives - his must so empty.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:The pitches were relayed the day after the receivers took over,
So, the receiver came in and immediately spent money that the club didn't have?

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Old Master wrote:It is all true, it's just the fools way of trying to make something out of nothing, just to get a response.

Point proven, once again.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote:

Point proven, once again.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:The pitches were relayed the day after the receivers took over,
No, because his brief was to sell the club as a going concern and there were no outstanding debts, in fact there was plenty of money available but the Oystons wouldn't spend it, and to bring it up to a standard, so that they were ready to go at the start of the season, believing that will attract more potential buyers - there were around 8 interested parties and they were whittled down to a final 4 before Simon's bid was approved.

The receivers also had to prepare the club for the season ahead, just in case it took a long time to sell, so their first moves were to improve the training ground facilities, begin restoration work on the Main Pitch (which Simon has stopped and brought in Professional Football Pitch builders).

The Receivers have done such a good job that they have been asked to stay on for at six months and assist Simon in creating a new board and management structure that will be inclusive of the supporter groups and the general Blackpool community.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
No, because his brief was to sell the club as a going concern and there were no outstanding debts, in fact there was plenty of money available but the Oystons wouldn't spend it, and to bring it up to a standard, so that they were ready to go at the start of the season, believing that will attract more potential buyers - there were around 8 interested parties and they were whittled down to a final 4 before Simon's bid was approved.

The receivers also had to prepare the club for the season ahead, just in case it took a long time to sell, so their first moves were to improve the training ground facilities, begin restoration work on the Main Pitch (which Simon has stopped and brought in Professional Football Pitch builders).

The Receivers have done such a good job that they have been asked to stay on for at six months and assist Simon in creating a new board and management structure that will be inclusive of the supporter groups and the general Blackpool community.
I have no idea if that is true or not hut I'm surprised that you actually answered a simple question. A rare thing on here and especially from you. Well done.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

:?: why was theo such a bad boss at millwall in your estimation. :?: no plot here, im just curious I don't know anything except he had a clothing business. i met him once briefly at the ground,thats it. :?:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

THE ORAKLE wrote::?: why was theo such a bad boss at millwall in your estimation. :?: no plot here, im just curious I don't know anything except he had a clothing business. i met him once briefly at the ground,thats it. :?:
Well if we look at first of all the reports that he was trying to tell Wise what team we pick and the fact that he bought Millwall for practically nothing and didn't invest anything but merely used the club to feather his own nest and his own publicity.

In the year that we reached the FA Cup Final and sold (basically gave away) our best player for #2 million, we still posted a loss of #2 million. Either he was mismanaging the business or someone had their hands in the till.

Then we add in that when he left, we were left with sub standard players on big and long contracts. Any new manager had to deal with the fact that he couldn't even move players on because no other club was going to pay them what they were on.

I once had a long chat with another ex manager at a bar in Stanstead airport and he referred to him as POISON to the club.