FIFA study backs expanded 48-team 2022 World Cup

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

A FIFA feasibility study has concluded the 2022 World Cup can expand to 48 teams by using at least one of Qatar’s neighbours as an additional host, and found another $US400 million ($565 million) in revenue could be generated.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report that assesses the political, logistical and legal issues surrounding the addition of 16 teams.
The report was prepared by the governing body so its FIFA Council can agree in principle on expanding the tournament at a meeting in Miami on Friday. A final decision would come in June.
The study identified stadiums in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates that could be used, but said Qatari authorities would have to agree and government assurances be made. Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the UAE severed economic, diplomatic and travel ties with Qatar in 2017, which prevents flights between the countries. FIFA accepted the ongoing political spat prevented their involvement.
“Candidate co-hosts would need to be regarded as sufficiently cooperative ... such cohosts would not sanction or boycott economically or otherwise any other potential cohost country,” the report said.
The FIFA study found the enlarged tournament could still be played in 28 days .

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: FIFA study backs expanded 48-team 2022 World Cup

Post by Bomber »

Silly decision.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Silly decision.
I agree decision based purely on revenue which dilute quality of tournament, 32 teams was stretching it but 48 is crazy. The qualification process will be a joke as well.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

I agree decision based purely on revenue which dilute quality of tournament, 32 teams was stretching it but 48 is crazy. The qualification process will be a joke as well.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Forget Australia (even with co-hosts) ever hosting one with those sorts of numbers. Getting out of hand all in the name of money. Shame!
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

I'm seeing now where the $400m is coming from

Reports: Qatar may have secretly paid FIFA $880million to get the 2022 World Cup

Sensational reports suggest that Qatar may have bribed FIFA with millions of dollars, to allow them to host the 2022 World Cup.
It is The Sunday Times that has reported that they have access to several leaked documents which reveal a total of $880million was offered to FIFA by Qatar’s representives, to avail rights to host the global tournament.
The newspaper also breaks down the entire sum into two parts: $400million paid just 21 days prior to FIFA’s announcement that Qatar will host the World Cup 2022, and $480million paid three years later.

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Qatar’s Emir who also owns and controls the Qatari-run state broadcasting agency the Al Jazeera, is believed to have signed a television contract that involved the initial $400million. The contract reportedly included a “success fee” of $100m, provided the country emerged victorious from the 2010 World Cup ballot.
“In the event that the 2022 competition is awarded to the state of Qatar, Al Jazeera shall, in addition to the . . . rights fee, pay to Fifa into the designated account the monetary amount of $100m.” – thus reads the leaked document, as per The Sunday Times. The newspaper went on to claim that the International football governing body is all set to receive a multimillion-pound payment next month, which will include a portion of the above-mentioned success fee.
The second “installment” of $480million was supposedly paid three years later, according to the reports. That in turn, makes the overall sum involved a whopping $880 million.
The Sunday Times further alleged that the contracts are now a part of a bribery inquiry by Switzerland police, while it also strengthens the suspicion that Qatar have bought the rights to host one of the World’s most popular sporting competitions, instead of proceeding via fair voting.
Meanwhile, FIFA is yet to make a comment on the latest allegations. This is not their first time under the scanner for possible corruption, many noted footballers and footballing administrators like Michel Platini the President of UEFA having called out the international agency on multiple occasions.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Forget Australia (even with co-hosts) ever hosting one with those sorts of numbers. Getting out of hand all in the name of money. Shame!
Yet another tournament expanded for money add it to the list which includes UEFA Champions League, Europa League and UEFA Euros.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Absolutely disgraceful. F.I.F.A. is rotten to the core, as the past has proven.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I'm assuming Oceania will get an auto spot out of this.

NZ will be happy.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:I'm assuming Oceania will get an auto spot out of this.

NZ will be happy.
Don't worry even the winner of the Antartica Confederation get direct qualification.

Hirohito
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hirohito »

ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:I'm assuming Oceania will get an auto spot out of this.

NZ will be happy.
Don't worry even the winner of the Antartica Confederation get direct qualification.
Good news for Bouvetøya and Queen Maud Land.
POLONIAROCS wrote:Yes SAASL is so much greater than NPL.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

dunno if I would want to go to a game in the middle east. 50 degree heat,all poor women forced to wear burkhas,not allowed to buy a beer or a pork snag and thinking of the slave labour used to build the stadiums etc etc. nah,not for me. :roll:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

THE ORAKLE wrote:dunno if I would want to go to a game in the middle east. 50 degree heat,all poor women forced to wear burkhas,not allowed to buy a beer or a pork snag and thinking of the slave labour used to build the stadiums etc etc. nah,not for me. :roll:
So you were otherwise considering to go?
Ignore this signature

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Bomber wrote:
THE ORAKLE wrote:dunno if I would want to go to a game in the middle east. 50 degree heat,all poor women forced to wear burkhas,not allowed to buy a beer or a pork snag and thinking of the slave labour used to build the stadiums etc etc. nah,not for me. :roll:
So you were otherwise considering to go?

not on your nellie bomber. 3 horrible months in pakistan on millitary service were definately enough for me in that part of the world. :roll:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
There won’t be a qualifying process, you sign up and you’re in.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower