"GO YOU REDS"

It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIFA study backs expanded 48-team 2022 World Cup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am 
Squad Player
Squad Player

FIFA study backs expanded 48-team 2022 World Cup
A FIFA feasibility study has concluded the 2022 World Cup can expand to 48 teams by using at least one of Qatar’s neighbours as an additional host, and found another $US400 million ($565 million) in revenue could be generated.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report that assesses the political, logistical and legal issues surrounding the addition of 16 teams.
The report was prepared by the governing body so its FIFA Council can agree in principle on expanding the tournament at a meeting in Miami on Friday. A final decision would come in June.
The study identified stadiums in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates that could be used, but said Qatari authorities would have to agree and government assurances be made. Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the UAE severed economic, diplomatic and travel ties with Qatar in 2017, which prevents flights between the countries. FIFA accepted the ongoing political spat prevented their involvement.
“Candidate co-hosts would need to be regarded as sufficiently cooperative ... such cohosts would not sanction or boycott economically or otherwise any other potential cohost country,” the report said.
The FIFA study found the enlarged tournament could still be played in 28 days .

Post subject: Re: FIFA study backs expanded 48-team 2022 World Cup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Silly decision.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am 
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:
Silly decision.

I agree decision based purely on revenue which dilute quality of tournament, 32 teams was stretching it but 48 is crazy. The qualification process will be a joke as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am 
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:
Silly decision.

I agree decision based purely on revenue which dilute quality of tournament, 32 teams was stretching it but 48 is crazy. The qualification process will be a joke as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:32 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Forget Australia (even with co-hosts) ever hosting one with those sorts of numbers. Getting out of hand all in the name of money. Shame!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am 
Squad Player
Squad Player

I'm seeing now where the $400m is coming from

Reports: Qatar may have secretly paid FIFA $880million to get the 2022 World Cup

Sensational reports suggest that Qatar may have bribed FIFA with millions of dollars, to allow them to host the 2022 World Cup.
It is The Sunday Times that has reported that they have access to several leaked documents which reveal a total of $880million was offered to FIFA by Qatar’s representives, to avail rights to host the global tournament.
The newspaper also breaks down the entire sum into two parts: $400million paid just 21 days prior to FIFA’s announcement that Qatar will host the World Cup 2022, and $480million paid three years later.

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Qatar’s Emir who also owns and controls the Qatari-run state broadcasting agency the Al Jazeera, is believed to have signed a television contract that involved the initial $400million. The contract reportedly included a “success fee” of $100m, provided the country emerged victorious from the 2010 World Cup ballot.
“In the event that the 2022 competition is awarded to the state of Qatar, Al Jazeera shall, in addition to the . . . rights fee, pay to Fifa into the designated account the monetary amount of $100m.” – thus reads the leaked document, as per The Sunday Times. The newspaper went on to claim that the International football governing body is all set to receive a multimillion-pound payment next month, which will include a portion of the above-mentioned success fee.
The second “installment” of $480million was supposedly paid three years later, according to the reports. That in turn, makes the overall sum involved a whopping $880 million.
The Sunday Times further alleged that the contracts are now a part of a bribery inquiry by Switzerland police, while it also strengthens the suspicion that Qatar have bought the rights to host one of the World’s most popular sporting competitions, instead of proceeding via fair voting.
Meanwhile, FIFA is yet to make a comment on the latest allegations. This is not their first time under the scanner for possible corruption, many noted footballers and footballing administrators like Michel Platini the President of UEFA having called out the international agency on multiple occasions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am 
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:
Forget Australia (even with co-hosts) ever hosting one with those sorts of numbers. Getting out of hand all in the name of money. Shame!

Yet another tournament expanded for money add it to the list which includes UEFA Champions League, Europa League and UEFA Euros.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:03 pm 
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Absolutely disgraceful. F.I.F.A. is rotten to the core, as the past has proven.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I'm assuming Oceania will get an auto spot out of this.

NZ will be happy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:15 pm 
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bomber wrote:

NZ will be happy.

Don't worry even the winner of the Antartica Confederation get direct qualification.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:53 am 
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:

NZ will be happy.

Don't worry even the winner of the Antartica Confederation get direct qualification.

Good news for Bouvetøya and Queen Maud Land.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:24 pm 
Star Player
Star Player

dunno if I would want to go to a game in the middle east. 50 degree heat,all poor women forced to wear burkhas,not allowed to buy a beer or a pork snag and thinking of the slave labour used to build the stadiums etc etc. nah,not for me. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 am 
Board Member
Board Member

THE ORAKLE wrote:
dunno if I would want to go to a game in the middle east. 50 degree heat,all poor women forced to wear burkhas,not allowed to buy a beer or a pork snag and thinking of the slave labour used to build the stadiums etc etc. nah,not for me. :roll:

So you were otherwise considering to go?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:11 pm 
Star Player
Star Player

Bomber wrote:
THE ORAKLE wrote:

So you were otherwise considering to go?

not on your nellie bomber. 3 horrible months in pakistan on millitary service were definately enough for me in that part of the world. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:41 pm 
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Silly decision.

There won’t be a qualifying process, you sign up and you’re in.