Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by God is an Englishman »

Celtic banner

“We’re not half of anything - unless there’s money to be made.

“Shove your ‘Old Firm’ friendly up your muscat”.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by God is an Englishman » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:20 am

Not convinced this game will go ahead.

Protests at the rangers game midweek with banners expressing the opinion they shouldn't play a friendly against paedophile rings.
then why did Sevco Scotland Ltd agree to the game?
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Celtic banner

“We’re not half of anything - unless there’s money to be made.

“Shove your ‘Old Firm’ friendly up your muscat”.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:31 pm
Post by God is an Englishman » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:20 am

Not convinced this game will go ahead.

Protests at the rangers game midweek with banners expressing the opinion they shouldn't play a friendly against paedophile rings.
then why did Sevco Scotland Ltd agree to the game?
They didn't.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

now dont be silly.....you know they did...so why did they.....

if anything, Rangers is sponging off the Hoops.....they are in more desperate need of the $$$$
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Once the vile hatred thing is vented (by both sides) and recycled many times by the media I am pretty sure that the clubs will officially deal with it and commit to playing in Sydney. There is far too much of a financial kick back for both clubs to let this opportunity die on its feet, Rangers more so than Celtic at this point in time.

My take on it (and I am happy to be criticised for it) is that though Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs in their own right they are nowhere big enough to let opportunities like this pass them by, particularly in the current financial landscape.
And this is where it becomes a tad controversial- I truly believe that if Celtic and Rangers wish to be competing at a more consistent level in Europe they need to be reliant on each other. By this I mean two genuinely strong sides that can compete on an even keel over several seasons and not just the one or two we have recently witnessed. It would also help if a Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd. etc. could chip in every now and again and to be fair they have managed that in Cup competitions. A big shout out also to Motherwell and most recently St. Johnstone who secured the double last season. But the biggest prize is owned by the Glasgow giants.

To be brutally honest what does 9 in a row mean if your main challenger and the rest are light years behind? Yes it does mean you are light years ahead but mainly because the opposition is weak (financial constraints, lack of resources, poor stewardship etc.).

For far too long now (with the odd exception such as the Fergusson era with Aberdeen as an example) Celtic and Rangers have dominated the Scottish game and this should not be a surprise given the sheer size of their support base and finances.

I am certainly not having a go at Celtic for their most recent 9 in a row mainly due to the demise of Rangers (their issue and 100% not Celtic's). None of Celtic's titles are tainted, why should they be when it was the other half of Glasgow that wronged? What I do object to is what certain individuals wish for-

To wish that your rival club curls up and dies so that your own club can go on and 'achieve' 20 in a row! And to add insult to injury you NEVER get the chance to meet and beat them again.

Not for me- I wish for Rangers to last as long in history as Celtic so that true Celtic fans now and in future generations can witness them thumping Rangers. There is nothing better than smashing your main rival and even sweeter when your foe is a worthy opponent. Not great when it goes the other way- but personally I wouldn't wish it any other way.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

bloody good article, well done, sums up the whole conception of football for all true fans, i still miss the home internationals, :thumbup:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:11 pm A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

now dont be silly.....you know they did...so why did they.....

if anything, Rangers is sponging off the Hoops.....they are in more desperate need of the $$$$
No, I don't know they did at all. Mainly because they didn't. If you want to play games, you need to get your facts right.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Scottish Cup Semi-Final Draw

Celtic vs Rangers

Hearts vs Hibs

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:52 pm Scottish Cup Semi-Final Draw

Celtic vs Rangers

Hearts vs Hibs
evil v Good
good v evil

Rangers v Hearts final hopefully.

Union Jack
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Union Jack »

I'd prefer Celtic v Hibs.
To be sure, to be sure!
I want to you partake in some shenanigans

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

Union Jack wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:09 am I'd prefer Celtic v Hibs.
all i want to see is a bloody good game. dont care who gets there. no divers no sofkoks no actors no shirt pullers and no var. pick a good ref to do the job and let him get on with it. real football like the good old days were. cheers. :clap:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Protests at Dundee v Rangers at the weekend about this game.

I don't see how this game can go ahead when they know they are alienating their fans with it.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:37 pm Protests at Dundee v Rangers at the weekend about this game.

I don't see how this game can go ahead when they know they are alienating their fans with it.
So Rangers fans are whinging poms as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:27 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:37 pm Protests at Dundee v Rangers at the weekend about this game.

As I have said before, you aussies lead the world in whingeing so how comes you don't know what it is.

If you don't understand what's wrong with this game then you don't understand football at all.

So Rangers fans are whinging poms as well.

Black Panther
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Black Panther »

History stealers.
El Paso del Norte wrote:I have the opposite problem, mine is so small you can't see it!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black Panther wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:14 pm
History stealers.
Rangers, not AFC Wimbledon.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

God is an Englishman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:50 am Not convinced this game will go ahead.
Common sense has prevailed.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

selfish decision has prevailed....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:57 am selfish decision has prevailed....

How is it selfish?

No doubt you still think Sevco agreed to this and now agreed to not play.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

i couldnt care about Sevco nor Celtic but if for political or economic reasons, i had to leave my homeland, and settle in another country, i would cherish seeing my club play live again (friendly or not)....Rangers and celtic also have a responsibility to those who have grown up loving their club and attending their games but who can no longer do so.

imagine an 80yo having grown up around Inbrox or Celtic park, now living in Australia getting to experience the ol' firm derby one last time.....bucket list stuff....imagine this 80yo taking his grandson/granddaughter to the game and introducing them to his lover affairs with the club

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:12 pm i couldnt care about Sevco nor Celtic but if for political or economic reasons, i had to leave my homeland, and settle in another country, i would cherish seeing my club play live again (friendly or not)....Rangers and celtic also have a responsibility to those who have grown up loving their club and attending their games but who can no longer do so.

imagine an 80yo having grown up around Inbrox or Celtic park, now living in Australia getting to experience the ol' firm derby one last time.....bucket list stuff....imagine this 80yo taking his grandson/granddaughter to the game and introducing them to his lover affairs with the club
The club have a responsibility to their fans. Their fans didn't want this game to go ahead. Selfish would have been going ahead and not considering them.

You don't care about sevco, what about Rangers? You say you don't care but presumably you did until you realised you were wrong.

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

They've just lost a fan why didn't they consider me?
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

lefty wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:04 pm They've just lost a fan why didn't they consider me?
If you would stop supporting a side over that you have to question if you were ever a fan to begin with.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

The club have a responsibility to their fans.
yes you are right...all its fans.....so are you suggesting that you can only be a fan of Rangers if you live in Govan????

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:02 pm
yes you are right...all its fans.....so are you suggesting that you can only be a fan of Rangers if you live in Govan????
No

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

If you would stop supporting a side over that you have to question if you were ever a fan to begin with.
so you and Rangers are the owners of the definition of the word 'fan'.....youre getting funny in your old age...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:13 pm
so you and Rangers are the owners of the definition of the word 'fan'.....youre getting funny in your old age...
Yes.

The fans protested against this game, they listened to their fans. Not heard of one Rangers fan who wanted it to happen.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

by God is an Englishman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:39 pm
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:32 pm
No
given your admission that true Rangers fans may be living outside of Govan, coupled with the below assertion, how can you speak for all fans whether in Scotland or Australia?
Their fans didn't want this game to go ahead

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The protests at games were the biggest clue.

Can we now agree that Sevco Scotland Ltd didn't ever agree to this game?