Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Predicting that the Rangers v Celtic clash at Ibrox this afternoon (evening here) will be a classic encounter due to some major factors:

1. Rangers will be desperate to make a statement to themselves and their supporters that they can seriously challenge or indeed dent Celtic's quest for nine in a row.
2. Celtic are as good going forward as they are as bad in defence. Don't think they have the mentality to sit tight and try and nick a point. If Celtic don't defend well (and there is every chance that they won't) I could see Rangers scoring three or four to be honest. Big question is how many can Celtic score if their defence leaks goals?
3. Morelos' scoring record is abysmal v Celtic and it will be interesting to see if he can manage to break his duck. Much will depend if he starts on the bench behind Defoe in the pecking order and how much playing time he gets. That also depends on his discipline though I think Gerrard has probably got his head sorted by now (though I hope not).

From a Celtic point of view much will depend on the fitness of Edouard ands Ajer, if they struggle I think Celtic's chances of taking anything from the game could be bleak. I think Rangers will fancy their chances in this one as they will see it as an excellent chance to steal a march on their enemy so early on in the season.

Hoping that I am off the mark but think Rangers could edge it 3-2 in a thriller, though don't write Celtic off if they get their defence sorted out. To be fair Gerrard has improved Rangers and he must take credit for that whilst in the other corner Lennon claims that Celtic have also improved. I reckon that this is a bold statement, certainly more entertaining than last year but this doesn't guarantee any prizes come the end of the season.

To be brutally honest Celtic and Rangers have found their level in Europe in the Europa League and they are both a good bit short of competing in the Champions League but they should get use to it. Today is the bread and butter for both tribes and for those watching today simply sit back and enjoy the ride- it should be a belter of a game!

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Great win by Celtic, still the dominating force in the Scottish League!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Michael wrote:Great win by Celtic, still the dominating force in the Scottish League!
That's like saying you're the best looking bloke in the burns unit.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Terrible game, skills wise. So many fluffed passes, askew shots, even when under little or no pressure. SPL has gone backwards if these are the pinnacle of the game there.
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

People are entitled to their opinions but I have seen a lot worse games in the EPL when teams stifle each other out in boring stalemates. Celtic defended very well (Forster didn't have a serious save to make) and controlled most of the match, to go there and win so comfortably surprised me. This was the acid test for Gerrard's team and they failed miserably. Yes it is only one game but Celtic made the statement when Rangers were expected to do so.
We can't all be glory hunters and jump on the Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc. joy ride bus and pretend to be true supporters.
Celtic and Rangers have their issues but their supporters will back their team to the hilt. Not to mention that they punch above their weight from time to time. To be fair to them and Scottish football the standard has dropped in many other countries as the so called big hitters are becoming ever more powerful and influence FIFA no end. IMO the CL should be just that but it is not as the greed and politics dictate that the so called lesser teams have to qualify the hard way.
I also accept the other side of the argument that Celtic should be expected to dominate domestically as they have more financial clout but it is hardly their fault. Celtic are victims of their own success as their best players will move on as they have always done. I remember as a boy when Dalglish signed for Liverpool in a 500,000 UK Pounds deal and the English media asked if he was good enough to fill Keegan's boots? Sir Kenny did his talking on the park and the rest is history. The Scottish game has always been scoffed at down south (England) and the Scots know themselves that we often leave ourselves open to ridicule. We know that our game and league lacks the quality of the EPL but when these teams are making and spending absolute fortunes this is hardly surprising.
Looking forward to Tierney getting match fit for Arsenal and showing that Scotland is still capable of producing quality players. The young lad is a gun and I hope he does himself justice.

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

Bomber wrote:Terrible game, skills wise. So many fluffed passes, askew shots, even when under little or no pressure. SPL has gone backwards if these are the pinnacle of the game there.
not really surprising though is it, one club has to sell their best players off every season to the premier league and the other club is 7 years old with an inexperienced manager at the helm. The only measurement of how good these teams are is when they play in Europe, Celtic beat the champions of Sweden 6-1 on aggregate and Rangers beat Legia Warsaw (2nd place in Poland). We will find out over the next couple of months how far off/ or how close they are compared to teams from Portugal,Italy etc..

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bradmufc1975 wrote:
Bomber wrote:Terrible game, skills wise. So many fluffed passes, askew shots, even when under little or no pressure. SPL has gone backwards if these are the pinnacle of the game there.
not really surprising though is it, one club has to sell their best players off every season to the premier league and the other club is 7 years old with an inexperienced manager at the helm. The only measurement of how good these teams are is when they play in Europe, Celtic beat the champions of Sweden 6-1 on aggregate and Rangers beat Legia Warsaw (2nd place in Poland). We will find out over the next couple of months how far off/ or how close they are compared to teams from Portugal,Italy etc..

Which team is 7 years old?

Pooraka Sałt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Sałt »

Sevco Rangers
Back by popular demand

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pooraka Sałt wrote:Sevco Rangers
checked the league, no such team.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

thebeautifulgame wrote:People are entitled to their opinions but I have seen a lot worse games in the EPL when teams stifle each other out in boring stalemates. Celtic defended very well (Forster didn't have a serious save to make) and controlled most of the match, to go there and win so comfortably surprised me. This was the acid test for Gerrard's team and they failed miserably. Yes it is only one game but Celtic made the statement when Rangers were expected to do so.
We can't all be glory hunters and jump on the Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc. joy ride bus and pretend to be true supporters.
Celtic and Rangers have their issues but their supporters will back their team to the hilt. Not to mention that they punch above their weight from time to time. To be fair to them and Scottish football the standard has dropped in many other countries as the so called big hitters are becoming ever more powerful and influence FIFA no end. IMO the CL should be just that but it is not as the greed and politics dictate that the so called lesser teams have to qualify the hard way.
I also accept the other side of the argument that Celtic should be expected to dominate domestically as they have more financial clout but it is hardly their fault. Celtic are victims of their own success as their best players will move on as they have always done. I remember as a boy when Dalglish signed for Liverpool in a 500,000 UK Pounds deal and the English media asked if he was good enough to fill Keegan's boots? Sir Kenny did his talking on the park and the rest is history. The Scottish game has always been scoffed at down south (England) and the Scots know themselves that we often leave ourselves open to ridicule. We know that our game and league lacks the quality of the EPL but when these teams are making and spending absolute fortunes this is hardly surprising.
Looking forward to Tierney getting match fit for Arsenal and showing that Scotland is still capable of producing quality players. The young lad is a gun and I hope he does himself justice.

well said. good article. :)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

theorakle wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:People are entitled to their opinions but I have seen a lot worse games in the EPL when teams stifle each other out in boring stalemates. Celtic defended very well (Forster didn't have a serious save to make) and controlled most of the match, to go there and win so comfortably surprised me. This was the acid test for Gerrard's team and they failed miserably. Yes it is only one game but Celtic made the statement when Rangers were expected to do so.

well said. good article. :)
Lacks the quality of the EPL - That's an understatement.

League One standard at best, some of the teams would struggle in the A League.

Pooraka Sałt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Sałt »

God is an Englishman wrote:some of the teams would struggle in the A League.
The jet lag would kill them.
Back by popular demand

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

Lacks the quality of the EPL - That's an understatement.

League One standard at best, some of the teams would struggle in the A League.[/quote]

I think you're just looking to slag off Scottish football at every given moment which is fair enough considering some embarrassing results, but let's recall the last time English and Scottish clubs played each other over the past two years.

Rangers 5-0 Oxford
Hibs 1 v 3 Newcastle
Rangers 1 v 1 Blackburn
Rangers 1 v 0 Derby
Burnley 3 V 1 Aberdeen (A.E.T)
Aberdeen 1 V 1 Burnley
Hibs 2 V Sunderland 2
St Johnstone 3-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 0-5 Celtic reserves

Outside the top 3 clubs (Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers) the quality is league 1 level mixed with a few higher level players ( John McGinn as a recent example). I question your comment about some spfl struggling in the a-league when 2nd bottom Hearts have a-league guys like Garruccio and Bozanic who can hardly get game time, yet were rated somewhat highly over here. Also didn't Ryan McGowan move to the champions of Australia from a relegated Dundee side ? Not to forget Scott McDonald playing league 1 in Scotland to signing for the new a-league club (he just scored tonight), not to mention Ross McCormack who was made to look like Rooney in the a-league. I could continue with the examples but will leave for now :lol:

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Bradmufc1975 wrote:Lacks the quality of the EPL - That's an understatement.

League One standard at best, some of the teams would struggle in the A League.
I think you're just looking to slag off Scottish football at every given moment which is fair enough considering some embarrassing results, but let's recall the last time English and Scottish clubs played each other over the past two years.

Rangers 5-0 Oxford
Hibs 1 v 3 Newcastle
Rangers 1 v 1 Blackburn
Rangers 1 v 0 Derby
Aberdeen 1 V 1 Burnley
Hibs 2 V Sunderland 2

Outside the top 3 clubs (Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers) the quality is league 1 level mixed with a few higher level players ( John McGinn as a recent example). I question your comment about some spfl struggling in the a-league when 2nd bottom Hearts have a-league guys like Garruccio and Bozanic who can hardly get game time, yet were rated somewhat highly over here. Also didn't Ryan McGowan move to the champions of Australia from a relegated Dundee side ? Not to forget Scott McDonald playing league 1 in Scotland to signing for the new a-league club (he just scored tonight), not to mention Ross McCormack who was made to look like Rooney in the a-league. I could continue with the examples but will leave for now :lol:[/quote]

You're stretching it putting friendlies in there especially against us as we were on a massive slide. If its playing for the chocolates then it over 10 years since a Scottish team beat an English team in European comps.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bradmufc1975 wrote: I think you're just looking to slag off Scottish football at every given moment which is fair enough considering some embarrassing results, but let's recall the last time English and Scottish clubs played each other over the past two years.

Rangers 5-0 Oxford
Hibs 1 v 3 Newcastle
Rangers 1 v 1 Blackburn
Rangers 1 v 0 Derby
Aberdeen 1 V 1 Burnley
Hibs 2 V Sunderland 2

Outside the top 3 clubs (Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers) the quality is league 1 level mixed with a few higher level players ( John McGinn as a recent example). I question your comment about some spfl struggling in the a-league when 2nd bottom Hearts have a-league guys like Garruccio and Bozanic who can hardly get game time, yet were rated somewhat highly over here. Also didn't Ryan McGowan move to the champions of Australia from a relegated Dundee side ? Not to forget Scott McDonald playing league 1 in Scotland to signing for the new a-league club (he just scored tonight), not to mention Ross McCormack who was made to look like Rooney in the a-league. I could continue with the examples but will leave for now :lol:

are you actually.using friendlies to make a point? 8)

Scott McDonald - a wage thief in England for Millwall and a top scorer in SPL. Moving to A league, don't see what point that makes.

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

You're stretching it putting friendlies in there especially against us as we were on a massive slide. If its playing for the chocolates then it over 10 years since a Scottish team beat an English team in European comps.[/quote]

How else are you meant to compare the leagues then? Can only go on games played against each other. Also it's a stretch saying over 10 years when there has only been 6 meetings between English and Scottish clubs competitively in the past 10 years. The two most recent games, Celtic drew twice with the English champions and Aberdeen (3rd in the league at the time) got beat after extra time against Burnley (7th in the prem).

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Bradmufc1975 wrote:You're stretching it putting friendlies in there especially against us as we were on a massive slide. If its playing for the chocolates then it over 10 years since a Scottish team beat an English team in European comps.
How else are you meant to compare the leagues then? Can only go on games played against each other. Also it's a stretch saying over 10 years when there has only been 6 meetings between English and Scottish clubs competitively in the past 10 years. The two most recent games, Celtic drew twice with the English champions and Aberdeen (3rd in the league at the time) got beat after extra time against Burnley (7th in the prem).[/quote]

A least 14 games since the last win against English sides, which was Celtic v Man Utd in 2007 so that stretches out to 12yrs.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

Scott McDonald - a wage thief in England for Millwall and a top scorer in SPL. Moving to A league, don't see what point that makes.[/quote]

I'm sure he will remember his last minute winner against AC Milan who were the champions of Europe the season before, rather than a failed stint at Millwall. My point being that I don't think most clubs in the top flight of Scotland would be 'struggling' in the a-league, when the likes of a 36 year old McDonald is coming from the 2nd division straight into the a-league or again Ryan McGowan going to the Australian champions from a relegated Dundee side. To your defence, you did say 'some teams', Hamilton, St Johnstone and St Mirren would be down there.

On another note, this sums up the Australia's captain time in the league :lol:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwlnKwXWoAU ... name=small

Bradmufc1975
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bradmufc1975 »

Raich Carter wrote:
Bradmufc1975 wrote:You're stretching it putting friendlies in there especially against us as we were on a massive slide. If its playing for the chocolates then it over 10 years since a Scottish team beat an English team in European comps.
How else are you meant to compare the leagues then? Can only go on games played against each other. Also it's a stretch saying over 10 years when there has only been 6 meetings between English and Scottish clubs competitively in the past 10 years. The two most recent games, Celtic drew twice with the English champions and Aberdeen (3rd in the league at the time) got beat after extra time against Burnley (7th in the prem).
A least 14 games since the last win against English sides, which was Celtic v Man Utd in 2007 so that stretches out to 12yrs.[/quote]

Remember it very well! 14 competitive games played in the last 12 years; 7 draws 7 losses, considering the financial differences it really isn't that bad. I'm not trying to say the SPFL is some amazing league, however I would say in terms of quality it is a mixture of mid- table championship sides and some lower championship/ high league 1 sides. Money has completely ruined any sort of level playing field for smaller professional leagues, how Man City are allowed to stock pile youth players for the sole purpose of making money is crazy- so much for Financial Fair Play?!

https://www.france24.com/en/20181103-ue ... rkozy-fifa

Until UEFA implement a proper financial fair play code, the smaller league clubs are going to keep on getting punished while the rich clubs will get richer, but that won't fill up the FIFA presidents pocket will it?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Once again Good has prevailed over evil. Celtic's 10th consecutive trophy win

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote:Once again Good has prevailed over evil. Celtic's 10th consecutive trophy win
The gap is narrowing though.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:Once again Good has prevailed over evil. Celtic's 10th consecutive trophy win

How is it their 10th consecutive trophy?

Oh and evil triumphed in this one.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Well said!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Black Panther
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Black Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:How is it their 10th consecutive trophy?
I wondered this too.
El Paso del Norte wrote:I have the opposite problem, mine is so small you can't see it!

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Black Panther wrote:
I wondered this too.

Ten domestic trophies in a row.

16/17 - 3
17/18 - 3
18/19 - 3
19/20 - 1 so far

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Well done Celtic on securing our tenth consecutive trophy and almost all of it down to the heroics of the big Englishman Fraser Forster (not to mention Celtic's dodgy goal). Rangers pummeled the Celtic goal from start to finish and through great goalkeeping, poor finishing and some stout defending Celtic managed to hold on with ten men.
Hard to remember a Cup Final game so one-sided where the best football team lost on the day. Celtic were pretty miserable all afternoon and though Lennon, the players and the supporters won't be happy with the performance we will all take it with a smile on our faces.
Gerrard has done a really good job though still no trophies to show for his efforts and as they say in Glasgow, second is last when it comes to football. That said they have improved out of sight and no doubt Lennon and Celtic will take serious note that
they have a real challenge on their hands to retain the title. Lennon should be wise enough to strengthen the squad and in particular target someone who is capable of supporting Edouard up front. Alarming that Griffiths is so far down the pecking order he failed to get a seat on the bench and young Lewis Morgan rather surprisingly got the nod ahead of Mikey Johnston.
Rangers will take great heart and encouragement but this is one side of a double-edged sword, the negative side being how could they dominate their main rivals by a country mile yet still end up on the losing side?
Healthy for the Scottish game that Rangers are challenging Celtic though I would expect a totally different contest when both teams clash at Celtic Park on 29th December, though hopefully it is much the same outcome! :D

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:
Black Panther wrote:
I wondered this too.

Ten domestic trophies in a row.

16/17 - 3
17/18 - 3
18/19 - 3
19/20 - 1 so far
So, now it's DOMESTIC trophy?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

thebeautifulgame wrote:Well done Celtic on securing our tenth consecutive trophy
It's not you're 10th

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:Well done Celtic on securing our tenth consecutive trophy
It's not you're 10th
Didn't you correct someone on grammar recently. :D

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Well done Celtic on securing our tenth consecutive trophy and almost all of it down to the heroics of the big Englishman Fraser Forster (not to mention Celtic's dodgy goal). Rangers pummeled the Celtic goal from start to finish and through great goalkeeping, poor finishing and some stout defending Celtic managed to hold on with ten men.
Hard to remember a Cup Final game so one-sided where the best football team lost on the day. Celtic were pretty miserable all afternoon and though Lennon, the players and the supporters won't be happy with the performance we will all take it with a smile on our faces.
Gerrard has done a really good job though still no trophies to show for his efforts and as they say in Glasgow, second is last when it comes to football. That said they have improved out of sight and no doubt Lennon and Celtic will take serious note that
they have a real challenge on their hands to retain the title. Lennon should be wise enough to strengthen the squad and in particular target someone who is capable of supporting Edouard up front. Alarming that Griffiths is so far down the pecking order he failed to get a seat on the bench and young Lewis Morgan rather surprisingly got the nod ahead of Mikey Johnston.
Rangers will take great heart and encouragement but this is one side of a double-edged sword, the negative side being how could they dominate their main rivals by a country mile yet still end up on the losing side?
Healthy for the Scottish game that Rangers are challenging Celtic though I would expect a totally different contest when both teams clash at Celtic Park on 29th December, though hopefully it is much the same outcome! :D

VAR may have ruled the goal offside but then Morales would have received 3 red cards if VAR was there. Dirty, stupid, but very talented player.