Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:
Michael wrote:
Bomber wrote:I couldn't even see the away crowd until Rangers scored, they ran to celebrate near the corner out of camera normal view.

But 800 tickets is poor. How many do other visiting teams usually get?

At Ibrox, Rangers gave Celtic fans 800 tickets
That is poor also.

I think both clubs need to wake up re this issue.
Sunday's Old Firm derby will be the first meeting between Celtic and Rangers since the clubs moved to drastically reduce the number of away fans who can attend the fixture.

Both clubs used to bring around 7,000 fans to each other's grounds for Scottish football's biggest and most volatile fixture, but there will only be 800 Rangers fans in attendance for Sunday's meeting at Celtic Park.

Rangers made the first move to drastically cut the number of Celtic fans who can attend derbies at Ibrox by ending the club's mutual agreement in the summer, with an unhappy Celtic swiftly responding in kind.

A Celtic statement in July read: “Celtic Football Club has confirmed that it will issue approximately 800 tickets to visiting supporters for the fixture against Rangers at Celtic Park on September 2. This mirrors the decision announced recently by Rangers.

“This is not a development we welcome and it is unfortunate that the initial decision came without any form of discussion. The previous arrangements worked well for both sets of supporters as well as contributing to the status of the fixture as a sporting occasion.

“Following the unilateral action by Rangers, we cannot allow our own supporters to be doubly penalised, by having access to the away fixture reduced so dramatically, while not being offered the opportunity to maximise our own support at Celtic Park."

The fans clashed at the Celtic Park meeting in April, while Rangers fans have voiced their dissatisfaction with Celtic supporters being allowed to sit in Ibrox's Broomloan Road stand.

The game kicks off at 12pm on Sunday, with Rangers boss Steven Gerrard facing his former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers for the first time.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Well done Michael with the quote, good work digging it out. Celtic were always AGAINST it in the first place and reluctantly responded in kind. Anyone who tries to blame Celtic is just plainly anti-Celtic. ie. GIAE for example.
At least the likes of Bomber (a self-confessed 'teddy bear') is more diplomatic with his view and to be honest it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Hope that Rangers publicly admit they were wrong and go back to how it was. IMO things are complicated enough without adding extra baggage. A typical Glaswegian is mad enough without the Old Firm, religion and alcohol. Little wonder that the authorities cringe any time they are due to play. So many arrests and serious assaults in the City(and beyond) no matter the the result of the game. Passion should be welcomed but bigotry and the vile hatred it breeds should not be tolerated on any terms.
I've lived and breathed it and it is not down to one set of supporters but BOTH. I have been proud and ashamed at times with my own club (Celtic) but in truth they have welcomed both Catholic and Protestant players and Managers throughout their history. The same cannot be said of Rangers who discriminated against employing Catholic players up until as recently as 1989 when Graeme Souness signed Maurice Johnston.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

No respect for their betters.

Rangers have decided against giving Celtic a guard of honour before Sunday's Old Firm derby to pay tribute to the eight-in-a-row champions.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote:No respect for their betters.

Rangers have decided against giving Celtic a guard of honour before Sunday's Old Firm derby to pay tribute to the eight-in-a-row champions.
You'll have to show me where this forms part of the world football protocol book.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

just because its not written, it doesn't mean it doesn't get done.....

you yourself Bomber would engage in hundreds of behaviours that aren't written in a protocol book
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote:

You'll have to show me where this forms part of the world football protocol book.

Its been happening since football, its all about "RESPECT".
Sadly, this concept is being eroded out of society!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:just because its not written, it doesn't mean it doesn't get done.....

you yourself Bomber would engage in hundreds of behaviours that aren't written in a protocol book
Well I guess Croydon are owed from 2014 and 2017 too then (round 1 following season). Shame on all NPL clubs for not following such protocol.
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:just because its not written, it doesn't mean it doesn't get done.....

Hundreds? Feel free to give just a few examples.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

do you shake hands when you meet people?
do you allow elderly people to cut the line or give up your seat for them
do you clap off an opposition injured player
down a narrow street, when the other driver stops to allow you through, do you acknowledge with a wave or a tilt of the head
do you open the door for a female
etc etc
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Hirohito
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hirohito »

Michael wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Its been happening since football, its all about "RESPECT".
Sadly, this concept is being eroded out of society!
Sevco rangers are relatively new to the competition, cut them some slsck.
POLONIAROCS wrote:Yes SAASL is so much greater than NPL.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:do you shake hands when you meet people?
down a narrow street, when the other driver stops to allow you through, do you acknowledge with a wave or a tilt of the head
etc etc
Yes
Yes
Not often but usually only if person is seriously injured or stretchered off
Yes
Sometimes, although once was "told off" by said woman saying she could manage.

So how does this stand up against your theory so far?
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I can keep going but I figured an intelligent person like you would get the point being made

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:I can keep going but I figured an intelligent person like you would get the point being made
There's protocol and there's following like sheep because some people suddenly do things in certain ways.

Have Celtic (albeit in the past) ever lined up to cheer Rangers after a title success? Or is this something relatively "new"?
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:I can keep going but I figured an intelligent person like you would get the point being made
There's protocol and there's following like sheep because some people suddenly do things in certain ways.

Have Celtic (albeit in the past) ever lined up to cheer Rangers after a title success? Or is this something relatively "new"?
Not in the last 8 seasons I recall. :shock: My memory is faded after that. I am sure many Celtic supporters have acknowledged Rangers supporters with a friendly Glasgow Kiss.
Last edited by eagleboy on Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I don't think its new.....I did it here as a coach 17 years ago...I asked my players to form a guard of honour as the newly crowned champions entered the field....once the whistle blew to start the game, there was no quarter given nor asked.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

MegaBonus wrote:I don't think its new.....I did it here as a coach 17 years ago...I asked my players to form a guard of honour as the newly crowned champions entered the field....once the whistle blew to start the game, there was no quarter given nor asked.
Your choice. Still not convinced it's protocol.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:I don't think its new.....I did it here as a coach 17 years ago...I asked my players to form a guard of honour as the newly crowned champions entered the field....once the whistle blew to start the game, there was no quarter given nor asked.
Your choice. Still not convinced it's protocol.
It's not, it's a new thing. I would refuse to take part in it.

Good on Rangers for not doing it.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Not in the last 8 seasons I recall. :shock: My memory is faded after that. I am sure many Celtic supporters have acknowledged Rangers supporters with a friendly Glasgow Kiss.
Memory faded for obvious reasons I suspect.

Serious question - when Scotland national team plays home games - do Celtic & Rangers supporters "mingle" as one?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Memory faded for obvious reasons I suspect.

Serious question - when Scotland national team plays home games - do Celtic & Rangers supporters "mingle" as one?
Why would celtic supporters be at a scotland game?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:

I was hoping someone else would answer as I knew you'd say that (or similar). :lol:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:

You have 54 times to choose from, if it's such a protocol. Surely it's happened before.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:do you shake hands when you meet people?
etc etc
Yes
Yes
Not often but usually only if person is seriously injured or stretchered off
Yes
Sometimes, although once was "told off" by said woman saying she could manage.

So how does this stand up against your theory so far?
3 down, 197 to go.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:

I was hoping someone else would answer as I knew you'd say that (or similar). :lol:
Well in 1980 at the Euros I saw Millwall and West Ham supporters mingle at England games.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Well in 1980 at the Euros I saw Millwall and West Ham supporters mingle at England games.

You must have been disappointed, there was only 8 teams to support that year.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

eagleboy wrote:

You have 54 times to choose from, if it's such a protocol. Surely it's happened before.[/quote]

Yes but that club went broke. Another club took over its name and stole its history. (ala West Adelaide Hellas). One would think the new club would have respect.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:
Yes but that club went broke. Another club took over its name and stole its history. (ala West Adelaide Hellas). One would think the new club would have respect.
Then why have rangers paying the old club's debts?

If they're a new club, I assume celtic sent back the money they were sent for their debts from the old club?

Celtic had exactly the same change of company a few years before that, are they a new club?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

eagleboy wrote:

If they're a new club, I assume celtic sent back the money they were sent for their debts from the old club?

Celtic had exactly the same change of company a few years before that, are they a new club?
My memory doesn't go back that far but I'm sure they would have settled all their debts.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:
eagleboy wrote:

My memory doesn't go back that far but I'm sure they would have settled all their debts.
As have Rangers, keep digging.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Celtic win the Treble Treble . Even with all the injuries this year and manager leaving they are too good for Scottish football. The new boys the other side of town must be wondering what to do to catch up.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

Bomber wrote:

someone else knows you as well mate. :lol: