World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by thebeautifulgame »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Diving is a cancer, that wasn't a dove though. Looked a clear penalty to me.

So you're not australian, but you support australia?
[/quote][/quote]

For the final time, I did not say the penalty was a dive. The diving in general by the French was ridiculous.

I wholeheartedly support Scotland but as they are not participating I am comfortable 'supporting' Australia, is there any shame in that? My family and I chose to come here on our own free will and enjoy the lifestyle here. As I am an Australian citizen I am happy and comfortable to support Australia. Just like I have a soft spot for Ireland due to my family roots. Just hope that they don't ever go to war with each other! :lol:
You may not comprehend this but this is fine with me. I am tolerant of others (to a point) and accept that as individuals we are all brought up in different environments, hence we have varying opinions.
You will no doubt mock me but I can live with it, it's not a crime. Look at all the glory hunters 'supporting' Man.Utd., Chelsea, Liverpool and the like as their adopted teams simply due to their successes in Europe. This seems to be normal and accepted on the whole yet you feel the need to question me for saying I support Australia.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

first islamic terror attack of the 2018 cup
https://twitter.com/lewicki_mateusz/sta ... 8229790722

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

OldGold wrote:
On first viewing it looked a pen and the Replay/ VAR just confirmed it.
Really, did you view all 15+ angles available, only 4 made available to the referee, desision made within a minute of viewing, average time for Var review is around 2.30 minutes, clearly in this case the ref got it right the first time and VAR didn't

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Players that dive+ arch their backs with the facial as if somebody gave them 30 cms up the backside should be ousted from the game immediately,a prime example was Nigeria's Moses(CHELSEA EPL)-What a bull-crap artist!

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

predator wrote:
OldGold wrote:
Really, did you view all 15+ angles available, only 4 made available to the referee, desision made within a minute of viewing, average time for Var review is around 2.30 minutes, clearly in this case the ref got it right the first time and VAR didn't
Where did you get that 2:30 stat from?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Juventino wrote:
predator wrote:
OldGold wrote:
Good question. FIFA Pres said average has been 55 seconds.

ps, as an aside, Goal Line Technology is reported to the ref’s watch accurately within 1 second, as was the case with Pogba’s lucky goal.

pps Juventino, you’ll be pleased to hear The Arkaba was packed and not one screen in the Sports Bar was on the Melbourne suburb (Hawthorn) versus the Camries.

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Con M wrote:
Juventino wrote:
predator wrote:
Good question. FIFA Pres said average has been 55 seconds.

ps, as an aside, Goal Line Technology is reported to the ref’s watch accurately within 1 second, as was the case with Pogba’s lucky goal.

pps Juventino, you’ll be pleased to hear The Arkaba was packed and not one screen in the Sports Bar was on the Melbourne suburb (Hawthorn) versus the Camries.
The average VAR decision time during the Serie A season was just 31.5 seconds (after three rounds it was 1:22, so it got considerably better throughout the season).

Well I don't live in Adelaide anymore so I don't know what is going on with the pub scene, but ok. I wouldn't want to watch that stuff either.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Diving is a cancer, that wasn't a dove though. Looked a clear penalty to me.

So you're not australian, but you support australia?
[/quote]

For the final time, I did not say the penalty was a dive. The diving in general by the French was ridiculous.

I wholeheartedly support Scotland but as they are not participating I am comfortable 'supporting' Australia, is there any shame in that? My family and I chose to come here on our own free will and enjoy the lifestyle here. As I am an Australian citizen I am happy and comfortable to support Australia. Just like I have a soft spot for Ireland due to my family roots. Just hope that they don't ever go to war with each other! :lol:
You may not comprehend this but this is fine with me. I am tolerant of others (to a point) and accept that as individuals we are all brought up in different environments, hence we have varying opinions.
You will no doubt mock me but I can live with it, it's not a crime. Look at all the glory hunters 'supporting' Man.Utd., Chelsea, Liverpool and the like as their adopted teams simply due to their successes in Europe. This seems to be normal and accepted on the whole yet you feel the need to question me for saying I support Australia.[/quote]

It may be seen as normal but I also mock these types of supporters like I mock people supporting a national side of a county that they're not from.
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:It may be seen as normal but I also mock theae types of supporters like I mock people.supporting a national side of a county that they're not from.
I was supporting the Aussies against France :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:It may be seen as normal but I also mock theae types of supporters like I mock people.supporting a national side of a county that they're not from.
I was supporting the Aussies against France :lol:
Stand up if you hate the french

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

OldGold wrote:
eagleboy wrote:I just finished watching SBS after match summary. That Craig Foster is a knob. We must have better analysists than him. SBS is a job for life once you get in.
Yeah I dont actually mind Foster but what he was saying about Australia showing the world the can beat anyone now is cringeworthy..... They lost!

And he couldnt make up his whether it was a penalty or not, kept contadicting himself.

The result was more respectable than i thought but disappointed in the end because I think Australia could have battled for a draw.
The result was expected, the scoreline was flattering. Australian along with Saudi Arabia have been by far the least impressive teams at this tournament after 1 game.
Every other match has been a contest.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Switzerland's goal V Brazil looked very doubtful to me - push in the back :?:

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Mr Red wrote:Switzerland's goal V Brazil looked very doubtful to me - push in the back :?:
Wrong sport Bruce.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Mexico 1 v Germany 0 , how quick did Mexico counter attack , especially in the first half

Pitchford
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Pitchford »

Con M wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 am England left it very late to the 91st minute with Harry Kane’s winner from a corner. I bet they would do better with Quick Extender Pro and the Tunisian defender regretted not putting it out to touch instead of conceding that corner.

Still don’t see what Southgate sees in Young. His free-kick sailing way over the bar was woeful. Didn’t see much of Henderson in the 2nd half with Tunisia playing some neat stuff out of midfield.

Anyhow, with Belgium beating Panama 3-0, England should go through with them to the Round-of-Sixteen.
Almost all the games so far have been so close! The football isn't the most appealing ever, but the Cup has been interesting so far. My favorite team so far has been Croatia, even though they didn't show anything special against Nigeria either, but they won.
Last edited by Pitchford on Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

England left it very late to the 91st minute with Harry Kane’s winner from a corner. I bet the Tunisian defender regretted not putting it out to touch instead of conceding that corner.

Still don’t see what Southgate sees in Young. His free-kick sailing way over the bar was woeful. Didn’t see much of Henderson in the 2nd half with Tunisia playing some neat stuff out of midfield.

Anyhow, with Belgium beating Panama 3-0, England should go through with them to the Round-of-Sixteen.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

3 points is all that we needed. One sided game but we didn't score. On another day that could have been 6-0.

Ref was woeful.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Excellent performance by a young England side.

Very difficult to break down any team at this level when they are not trying to win the game.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Please explain how this works?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

So from some "unbiased" people. :lol:

Was that a penalty against England?
Should England have had 2 penalties?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:So from some "unbiased" people. :lol:

I think it was a penalty as his arm came out.
Definitely one for England.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

zzz wrote:
Mr Red wrote:Switzerland's goal V Brazil looked very doubtful to me - push in the back :?:
Wrong sport Bruce.

Yes I know, I was just trying to highlight what part of the body was pushed.

yes I am a bit special :)

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Definitely a penalty when the defender "rode " Harry to the ground. Had to laugh when Martin Tyler said that you can't give a penalty every time that happens ( or something similar ). And it didn't happen just the once, at least twice to Kane.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

I invite all Adl Utd supporters to offer 'unbiased' opinions...a little like Hawksey....

:oops: :oops: @ Hawksey who only asks for other peoples opinions when he thinks hes right.

FWIW - England deserved a penalty...
Last edited by MegaBonus on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

The VAR got it right with the Sweden penalty.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

I invite all Adl Utd supporters to offer 'unbiased' opinions...a little like Hawksey....

:oops: :oops: @ Hawksey who only asks for other peoples opinions when he thinks hes right.

Of course I think I'm right, I also know that in regards to a decision affecting England that I am biased. Maybe others could learn from that.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

Definate penalty, why wasn't VAR uses?

Harry Kane the rightfull captain and world class striker won the game for England :wink:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

God is an Englishman

Of course I think I'm right, I also know that in regards to a decision affecting England that I am biased. Maybe others could learn from that.

thus admitting to being biased is admission to being irrational in thought lacking clarity...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
God is an Englishman

thus admitting to being biased is admission to being irrational in thought lacking clarity...
Which is why I asked other "non biased" people's opinion on the matter. I'd have thought that was pretty obvious.

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

VAR is only used for Australia's games... as a punishment, because we complained about it too much in the A League. :lol: