World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Nice One Cyril wrote: they're kids mostly and you'll never win nowt with kids as we know.
Same age as the French team, so I hope you're on the money with this one
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Would be very surprised if the French do not win it and predict 3-1 in their favour. Think they will be the fresher and have too much pace and skill in their ranks. Would expect Croatia to give it a go but would suspect they will tire as the game reaches the final stages. Brilliant effort by a country which has a population of just over 4 million people. Hoping for a decent final to cap what has been an entertaining World Cup.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote: they're kids mostly and you'll never win nowt with kids as we know.
Same age as the French team, so I hope you're on the money with this one
Really? I find that hard to believe but I'll take your word for it.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Would be very surprised if the French do not win it and predict 3-1 in their favour. Think they will be the fresher and have too much pace and skill in their ranks. Would expect Croatia to give it a go but would suspect they will tire as the game reaches the final stages. Brilliant effort by a country which has a population of just over 4 million people. Hoping for a decent final to cap what has been an entertaining World Cup.
I expected the French midfield to overwhelm Croatia, but they didn't, and had to rely on a dodgy free kick with a lucky / unlucky own goal and a quite ridiculous penalty to get to the break ahead. Second half they were more in control, but fair play to Croatia, they tried until pretty close to the end.

Hard to believe that the donkey Giroud has a WC winners medal after not getting a single shot on target.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:Would be very surprised if the French do not win it and predict 3-1 in their favour. Think they will be the fresher and have too much pace and skill in their ranks. Would expect Croatia to give it a go but would suspect they will tire as the game reaches the final stages. Brilliant effort by a country which has a population of just over 4 million people. Hoping for a decent final to cap what has been an entertaining World Cup.
I expected the French midfield to overwhelm Croatia, but they didn't, and had to rely on a dodgy free kick with a lucky / unlucky own goal and a quite ridiculous penalty to get to the break ahead. Second half they were more in control, but fair play to Croatia, they tried until pretty close to the end.

Hard to believe that the donkey Giroud has a WC winners medal after not getting a single shot on target.
France won World Cup 2018 with a false nine. Imagine how many HK would get playing up front for France.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Matthew wrote:Maybe the heat of England has affected your brain.
It's not even hot, 30 max, but it could be the alcohol :wink:
Highly likely!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

So another team that beats Australia earlier on in the tournament going on to win it.

One for the trivia buffs - how many times has this happened?
Ignore this signature

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

^^^

So what your saying is, Teams would love to be in Australia's group, as their guaranteed a 33.33% chance of wining the cup?
:wink:
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

ps,

congrats "les Bleus!
(Pogba decided to turn up at the final, Mbappe showed glimpses of why he will be the next big thing and Griezmann finally showed his class with involvement in 3 goals)

the better team at the tournament won the cup, croatia were valiant but "les Blues" were deserving winners.
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

maxin in the shade
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by maxin in the shade »

Nice One Cyril wrote:

not sure why he gets treated like this?

Donkey?
Do you see the link he provides from the mid to Griezmann/Mbappe? The hold up work? The headers won?
Works tirelessly for the team.

Ok, its not the most flattering of stats to have, but do you think Deschamps would keep him in the side if he didn't play his role?

And like you said, he's a WC winner now. He'll always have the last laugh.

BTW Kane would have to be the worst/most pointless golden ball winner in WC history:
6 goals
3 penalties
2 deflections
1 header

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

maxin in the shade wrote: BTW Kane would have to be the worst/most pointless golden ball winner in WC history:
6 goals
3 penalties
2 deflections
1 header
2 of those penalties, he was the bloke fouled.

Can't think of the 2nd deflection.

Do headers now not count?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:
maxin in the shade wrote: BTW Kane would have to be the worst/most pointless golden ball winner in WC history:
6 goals
3 penalties
2 deflections
1 header
2 of those penalties, he was the bloke fouled.

Can't think of the 2nd deflection.

Do headers now not count?
wasn't it two headers and one deflection?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Wayne Kerr wrote:^^^

So what your saying is, Teams would love to be in Australia's group, as their guaranteed a 33.33% chance of wining the cup?
:wink:
So your answer is.........? I'll give you another chance.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Actually, I agree with this. He would have been the worst winner of it, that's probably why he didn't win it.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

maxin in the shade wrote:BTW Kane would have to be the worst/most pointless golden ball winner in WC history:
6 goals
3 penalties
2 deflections
1 header
To read the pain and anguish this has caused does make me laugh.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Actually, I agree with this. He would have been the worst winner of it, that's probably why he didn't win it.
in 86 Lineker definitely got two penalties (v Cameroon) , maybe more? nobody knocks him.

edit: I am getting my Word Cups confused, those goals were in 1990 and he wasn't the winner.
Last edited by Victoria's Secret on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

:lol:

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

Bomber wrote:So another team that beats Australia earlier on in the tournament going on to win it.

Three times. Just behind Peru, then.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Juventino wrote:
Bomber wrote:So another team that beats Australia earlier on in the tournament going on to win it.

Three times. Just behind Peru, then.
Correct ('74,'06,'18) = 60% of all times Australia has qualified. Teams will want us in their group more than ever, not just for the "easy win". :wink:
Ignore this signature

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

congratulations France, easily the best team in the tournament

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

So Croatia beet Argentina 3;0,then they get an Argentinian ref for the final.First goal was scored from a b-cabernet foul,penalty was not deliberate handball.France parked bus in front of goal for most of the game,playing only counter attack.They masterfully blocked Croatia's midfield,i will give them that.When Griezman scored goal went to show Croatian fans looser sign,what a w-ker.Crap final since the winner didn't outplay the looser as Germany did 4 years ago.At least have the balls & play openly not like a bunch of cowards.

joker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by joker »

zzz wrote:congratulations France, easily the best team in the tournament
yes congrats,but how can you say easily best team????They barely dominated. they won so they are the best.
We all know they play defend/counter attack and that is their style due to fast players...BUT STILL...

Game 1 v Australia, we all know what happened, France were better but didn't dominate..and won by luck in the end.
v Peru, peru had 56% possesion..
v Denmark, really didnt show much against Danes..
v Argentina, Argentina had 59% possession..could have gone either way..
v Belgium, Belgium had 60% possession..i still think could have gone either way, i still think Belgium is a better team..
v Croatia , Croatia had 61% possession + more shot attempts ...ive never seen more good luck in my life..enough so that made the difference.Could have gone either way imo.

my point is that, they were NOT easily best team, you can say they were best but not easily, not as if they were 3 classes above/

ps. Griezman should have won best man of the game and not Mbappe imo, this was to make him a new pele, he will be a star...untill next injury.

Lagartija Nick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Lagartija Nick »

Easily best team

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lagartija Nick wrote:Easily best team
It's irrelevant anyway. Records will show 2018 - WC winner - France.
Ignore this signature

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

France were just too good on the day.

They were more compact over the park and clinical when going forward. We left ourselves open chasing the game and it was all over.

We gave them the first two goals which made it too hard coming off 3 games going into extra time.

Bad luck, it wasn't our day, but the team did is proud.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:France were just too good on the day.

They were more compact over the park and clinical when going forward. We left ourselves open chasing the game and it was all over.

We gave them the first two goals which made it too hard coming off 3 games going into extra time.

Bad luck, it wasn't our day, but the team did is proud.
I thought it was a huge achievement by Croatia. Am sure it will drive the nation to bigger and better things over the coming years. They have the drive and the passion and weren't afraid to have a go. Bravo!
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

predrag wrote:At least have the balls & play openly not like a bunch of cowards.
I wanted Croatia to win, but have you never watched professional sport before?

Second is nowhere, winning is everything.
Danny Blanchflower

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

joker wrote:
zzz wrote:congratulations France, easily the best team in the tournament
yes congrats,but how can you say easily best team????They barely dominated. they won so they are the best.
We all know they play defend/counter attack and that is their style due to fast players...BUT STILL...

Game 1 v Australia, we all know what happened, France were better but didn't dominate..and won by luck in the end.
v Peru, peru had 56% possesion..
v Denmark, really didnt show much against Danes..
v Argentina, Argentina had 59% possession..could have gone either way..
v Belgium, Belgium had 60% possession..i still think could have gone either way, i still think Belgium is a better team..
v Croatia , Croatia had 61% possession + more shot attempts ...ive never seen more good luck in my life..enough so that made the difference.Could have gone either way imo.

my point is that, they were NOT easily best team, you can say they were best but not easily, not as if they were 3 classes above/

ps. Griezman should have won best man of the game and not Mbappe imo, this was to make him a new pele, he will be a star...untill next injury.
Your post exemplifies everything wrong with the mentality of Australian football since the new dawn.
Too much idolising of Craig Foster's dopey analysis for you.

The game is won by scoring more goals and creating genuine opportunities to score goals. Pointless possession never wins anything.
France dominated every game they played as they were all played on their terms.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Easy to be smug after the final whistle. I gather zzz made a packet on the French win given it was "so easy/obvious"?
Ignore this signature

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

As most world commentators said Greizmann is a disgraceful cheat,who should have got a yellow card for diving ,i wonder how closely he would have been marking Modric for the rest of the game when already on a card.I hope when Pogba goes back to England one of the fans there punches him in the face for his its coming home remark aimed at England,you make your livelihood in England,then you crap on the locals-true hero.