England WC 2018 Squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

England WC 2018 Squad

Post by ozzie owl »

Apparently Joe Hart and Jack Wilshire have already been told they have been left out of the squad, which is due to be announced today.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: England WC 2018 Squad

Post by Old Master »

Hart has lost all his limited credibility after being let go by West Ham.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Jack should be in the starting 11

Sack Gareth bring Wenger in!
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Bit harsh on Wilshere, thought he done enough to get in. Hart I agree with though, not good enough anymore.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

England 2018 Squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham)

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

nathanburns15 wrote:Bit harsh on Wilshere, thought he done enough to get in. Hart I agree with though, not good enough anymore.
The problem with Wilshere is he's made of blancmange....
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Yes, Jack has had many injuries but he could have recovered substantially by mid-June. Plodder Southgate might come to regret leaving out this creative player.

Is Rose even a regular for Spurs? Can “diver” Young even cross with his left foot?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:Yes, Jack has had many injuries but he could have recovered substantially by mid-June. Plodder Southgate might come to regret leaving out this creative player.
He did a wonderful job of driving Arsenal on to 6th spot :lol:

If he wasn't made of glass, I'd have him in midfield in a heartbeat, but you can't take injured players to the WC, every game's a Cup Final, it's why Lallana's missing out as well.

I only hope that, given the lack of controlling midfielders we have, Southgate goes with three at the back and floods the middle with five, or more likely five plus one.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:Yes, Jack has had many injuries but he could have recovered substantially by mid-June. Plodder Southgate might come to regret leaving out this creative player.

Is Rose even a regular for Spurs? Can “diver” Young even cross with his left foot?
IMO the two luckiest were Rose and Welbeck , close behind were Stones and Jones (who both had limited game time this season).

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:

IMO the two luckiest were Rose and Welbeck , close behind were Stones and Jones (who both had limited game time this season).
Why do you care?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Thought one of Wilshere or Lalana would have gone but there’s a lot to like about Loftus-Cheek, a couple of years too early maybe but he’s got his chance hope he takes it. Welbeck & Rose have proven themselves capable at this level, both the right choice.

Sadly we (and the tournament) miss out on Zaha, due mostly to fifas shiraz up short sighted eligibility rules. On current form could have done some damage for us, oh well his loss.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

N5 1BH wrote:Thought one of Wilshere or Lalana would have gone but there’s a lot to like about Loftus-Cheek, a couple of years too early maybe but he’s got his chance hope he takes it. Welbeck & Rose have proven themselves capable at this level, both the right choice.

Sadly we (and the tournament) miss out on Zaha, due mostly to fifas shiraz up short sighted eligibility rules. On current form could have done some damage for us, oh well his loss.
Loftus-Cheek played brilliantly in his debut vs Germany. Worth the punt.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

I don't believe my eyes, Ossie Owl hasn't any negatives yet. Still, given time. Or maybe he's waiting to see how we go first.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Thought one of Wilshere or Lalana would have gone but there’s a lot to like about Loftus-Cheek, a couple of years too early maybe but he’s got his chance hope he takes it. Welbeck & Rose have proven themselves capable at this level, both the right choice.

I agree on the FIFA rules are stupid IMO once you have played for a country at senior level then that's it you are locked in, with no switching countries allowed.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

No Huddersfield players I see :( :D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

How are the rules short sighted? He's not even English.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:

I agree on the FIFA rules are stupid IMO once you have played for a country at senior level then that's it you are locked in, with no switching countries allowed.
Cricket is no different. Don’t pick on FIFA.

dreamleaguekit
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dreamleaguekit »

You can click here to check the complete squad of English team for WC 2018.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:How are the rules short sighted? He's not even English.
Agree, he only played in friendlies for England and he's Ivorian by birth. He had a tanty when he didn't get picked in a full international for England and chose to play with Ivory Coast, so it's his loss.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

B.Toomer wrote:I don't believe my eyes, Ossie Owl hasn't any negatives yet. Still, given time. Or maybe he's waiting to see how we go first.
How many of your 574 posts have been positive about Australia?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Cricket is no different. Don’t pick on FIFA.
Big difference in the codes.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
As my teachers used to put in red to me, 'please explain'.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote:
B.Toomer wrote:I don't believe my eyes, Ossie Owl hasn't any negatives yet. Still, given time. Or maybe he's waiting to see how we go first.
I'll help you out on this - its either:
a) zero
b) nil
c) bugger all
d) nichts

:P
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
I'll help you out on this - its either:
a) zero
b) nil
c) bugger all
d) nichts

:P
How many of "ozzies" posts have been negative about England?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:How are the rules short sighted? He's not even English.
Agree, he only played in friendlies for England and he's Ivorian by birth. He had a tanty when he didn't get picked in a full international for England and chose to play with Ivory Coast, so it's his loss.
England invested much time and money into him. He represented England nearly 20 times and took a place meant for the development of an English kid. Should never be allowed to walk straight into another association on the back of that. It’s completely shiraz up and shouldn’t be tolerated.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Big difference is that technically there no friendlies in test cricket as long as both sides have Test status , which makes it worse when players switch to another test playing nation. The last test cricketer to switch was Boyd Rankin from England to Ireland in 2018. Before that it was Keppler Wessels did it as far back as 1992.

FIFA has the crazy rule which excludes friendly which allows players like Zaha to make the switch.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
England invested much time and money into him. He represented England nearly 20 times and took a place meant for the development of an English kid. Should never be allowed to walk straight into another association on the back of that. It’s completely shiraz up and shouldn’t be tolerated.
+1

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Cricket is played by a handful of countries and has a complex eligibility system to try to grow the game in associate countries. Though even it does not allow a player who has played for one country at youth level to play for another until after a 4 year qualifying period and the likes of Woodburn would have to actually live in Wales if he wanted to play for them.

Football is played by every country so growth is not the issue, strength in depth is. Invest in fly in fly out foreign mercenaries from EPL/Bundesliga/Ligue 1 or invest in your own people. One allows corrupt and/or lacklustre associations to achieve the level of competent mediocrity that is suffocating international football, the other inspires like Belgium or Iceland.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
How many of "ozzies" posts have been negative about England?
A bit trickier than the previous one, but let's opt for:

a) 113
b) 1792
c) 5131
d) 14976

May need to phone a friend on this one though. :)
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Cricket is played by a handful of countries and has a complex eligibility system to try to grow the game in associate countries. Though even it does not allow a player who has played for one country at youth level to play for another until after a 4 year qualifying period and the likes of Woodburn would have to actually live in Wales if he wanted to play for them.

Football is played by every country so growth is not the issue, strength in depth is. Invest in fly in fly out foreign mercenaries from EPL/Bundesliga/Ligue 1 or invest in your own people. One allows corrupt and/or lacklustre associations to achieve the level of competent mediocrity that is suffocating international football, the other inspires like Belgium or Iceland.
I see where you are coming from, but England have had many players from other cricket playing nations - players pick and choose too easily. And Woodburn is Welsh through family isn't he? Nothing to do with where he has lived - which is not Wales.

The Hollioakes are/were as Australian as you can get - yet they chose to play for England so they could get a game. Ed Joyce has swung from Ireland to England back to Ireland.

I don't see how its that different.