England WC 2018 Squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: England WC 2018 Squad

Post by God is an Englishman »

The Kop wrote:Yep it was just Panama but England are good, look very well prepared. If you don't think they're a good chance you're kidding yourself.

Finally they broke away from the Dave Bassett style manager. Imagine being taught by Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp and Pochettino week in week out then going into national team camp under Hodgson.

My thoughts are their back three could be a little suspect when tested against better quality opposition.

Question is, do they want to top the group?
If top, the likely path is: Colombia or Senegal /Germany or Brazil / France
Second: Japan / Mexico or Switzerland / Spain

You need to beat the best to be the best but there's only so much luck you can ride IMO.
I said a while ago that coming 2nd was better in this group, with some other results that's become even better to come 2nd. A draw v Belgium could see the group decided by who has the least bookings.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
The Kop wrote:Yep it was just Panama but England are good, look very well prepared. If you don't think they're a good chance you're kidding yourself.

Finally they broke away from the Dave Bassett style manager. Imagine being taught by Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp and Pochettino week in week out then going into national team camp under Hodgson.

My thoughts are their back three could be a little suspect when tested against better quality opposition.

You need to beat the best to be the best but there's only so much luck you can ride IMO.
I said a while ago that coming 2nd was better in this group, with some other results that's become even better to come 2nd. A draw v Belgium could see the group decided by who has the least bookings.
Would be funny if towards the end of the game, if it looks like being a draw, how many "deliberate" yellows there will be. Better off just conceding an own goal and let it rest. :wink:
Ignore this signature

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

One of the British pundits suggested Southgate should sub on some squad players late on to pickup some cheap yellows and put the count in Eng's favour.

However, word of warning....FIFA has form here:
http://www.espnfc.com.au/greece/story/3 ... ellow-card

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Just go out and win the game, no point avoiding these teams as you'll need to play them at some stage.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Belgian manager hinted on resting many first choice players already, so may be playing a similar "game".
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Belgian manager hinted on resting many first choice players already, so may be playing a similar "game".
I can see a 0-0 coming up and it being decided by disciplinary. Maybe one of the teams will get a player sent off to guarantee 2nd place :lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:Belgian manager hinted on resting many first choice players already, so may be playing a similar "game".
I can see a 0-0 coming up and it being decided by disciplinary. Maybe one of the teams will get a player sent off to guarantee 2nd place :lol:
An opponent should smack him on his way off the pitch and get same - that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons. :wink:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
An opponent should smack him on his way off the pitch and get same - that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons. :wink:
Could be a rush to be the 11th sent off.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

magnet wrote:
Just go out and win the game, no point avoiding these teams as you'll need to play them at some stage.[/quote]

Correct but coming 2nd in the group would probably give a route of:

Japan, Mexico, Portugal/Spain

Winning the group gives you

Columbia, Brazil/Germany, Portugal/Spain/France

I know which route I'd be wanting.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

magnet wrote:
Just go out and win the game, no point avoiding these teams as you'll need to play them at some stage.[/quote]

Correct but coming 2nd in the group would probably give a route of:

Japan, Mexico, Portugal/Spain

Winning the group gives you

Columbia, Brazil/Germany, Portugal/Spain/France/Argentina

I know which route I'd be wanting.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman wrote: I know which route I'd be wanting.
I'm sure you'd be stoked getting any route.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Slinky_Pete wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: I know which route I'd be wanting.
I'm sure you'd be stoked getting any route.
An easy route is always better, less of a challenge means you're fresh when the harder route comes later.

Kosta Utd
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Kosta Utd »

God is an Englishman wrote: An easy route is always better, less of a challenge means you're fresh when the harder route comes later.
or you build false hope
H _ S T _ K _ buy a vowel?
----------------------------

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Kosta Utd wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: An easy route is always better, less of a challenge means you're fresh when the harder route comes later.
or you build false hope
Look above you

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

England has a great team as usual especially the forward line up,i just hope they do not under achieve as usual.The game against Belgium tonight should be a great game to watch.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

predrag wrote:England has a great team as usual especially the forward line up,i just hope they do not under achieve as usual.The game against Belgium tonight should be a great game to watch.
Don't tell me the score, I'm not going to watch it until tomorrow night.

Ofor Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ofor Fuxake »

:lol:
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Now that's not what i expected from the England-Belgium clash.