Steven Gerrard touted for Rangers job

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Steven Gerrard touted for Rangers job

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Word has it that Steven Gerrard is becoming a serious candidate for the Rangers job come the end of the season. This follows the Club's failure to secure the services of the highly rated Steve Clarke who is presently doing an excellent job at Kilmarnock. Clarke has a liking for Celtic and almost made it to Celtic Park as a player but the proposed move fell through. Many see him as a future boss of Celtic but Rangers were keen to offer him a deal.
Many Rangers supporters may feel that Stevie G would be a great move as he has contacts in the game (pulling power of players) and is hugely respected in the game. For me I don't think it all stacks up. Gerrard would command a hefty pay packet for one so inexperienced in coaching at that level. As has been proved already cutting your teeth in the Scottish Premier League is no easy task, particularly when you are up against an opponent which is by far a great distance ahead.
Rangers would not only be taking a huge gamble on Gerrard but Gerrard himself would also be taking a huge gamble at Rangers, particularly if he wishes to use it as a springboard to an illustrious career in management. Would such a legend as a player risk his reputation so early in his managerial career? I think that if he took the job the short term reaction would be marvellous but in reality it would be like climbing Everest- they would make it to base camp okay but struggle to get anywhere near the summit. I think Gerrard is within his rights to see what Rangers F.C. has to offer as a potential employer but I would be surprised if he accepts the position if it is offered to him. Either way I can't see Brendan Rodgers losing much sleep over it as he knows he will face a fresh challenge no matter who gets the job. Rodgers' long term aim is to make 'reasonable progress' in Europe but as any realist knows this is no easy task.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Steven Gerrard touted for Rangers job

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Although I wish him well, nothing will change, there will still be massive financial inequity and Celtic will continue to win the league and fail dismally in Europe.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Steven Gerrard touted for Rangers job

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Although I wish him well, nothing will change, there will still be massive financial inequity and Celtic will continue to win the league and fail dismally in Europe.
Stevie G yet to accept the job officially though it is looking more likely he will accept the role but on his conditions. Great players don't often make great managers and I don't think he will change much at Ibrox trophy wise. Big risk for both parties.
Good luck Stevie G if you take the job as the clowns running the show behind the scenes have turned the club in to a laughing stock. Rangers are already owing a small fortune and will no doubt be ready to splash the cash (presumably loaned money) to land a manager and decent quality players.
One big thing in Gerrard's favour is in his commitment and dedication to being a winner, though playing and managing are completely different beasts. Just ask John Barnes about his experience at Celtic, a disaster to say the least.
Interesting weeks and months ahead over at Ibrox, glad I'm not a bear!