Champions League 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Champions League 2018

Post by N5 1BH »

ozzie owl wrote:Enbgland voted for Brexit can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else.
Wouldn’t they simply apply the same rules they apply to other foreigner players like Africans & Australians. Must be over 18 and have played X amount of internationals. (X) dependent on fifa ranking. We’d still get all the good players, just better placed to filter out the riff raff
Last edited by N5 1BH on Fri May 04, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Brian the Postman wrote:
To be fair he is an Arsenal supporter and that tie would be better to watch than the usual p1ss weak stuff he would have to watch.
I really do wish you were wrong

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Enbgland voted for Brexit can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else.
Wouldn’t they simply apply the same rules they apply to other foreigner players like Africans & Australians. Must be over 18 and have played X amount of internationals. (X) dependent on fifa ranking. We’d still get all the good players, just better placed to filter out the riff raff
Have a look at this article. The landscape will change but to what extent no one knows.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 88786.html

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
Have a look at this article. The landscape will change but to what extent no one knows.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 88786.html
its a year on from there. In another year there could be plans for another referendum!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Having a cap on overseas players per side to say 4 per match day squad would help as well. Sadly the EU wont allow that to change. One can hope that once Brexit is rolled out the English clubs will be bound by the same labour laws as all other businesses.
so you want English clubs to suffer? That will only help other leagues.
So if English club wins the Champions League with no Englishman how does that help English football?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Having a cap on overseas players per side to say 4 per match day squad would help as well. Sadly the EU wont allow that to change. One can hope that once Brexit is rolled out the English clubs will be bound by the same labour laws as all other businesses.
so you want English clubs to suffer? That will only help other leagues.
So if English club wins the Champions League with no Englishman how does that help English football?
Liverpool won the Double in 1986, the FA cup winning team had no English players. Nobody was complaining then.

The issue is that lower league teams charge too much for English players. You can buy equivalent standard for far less in Europe and beyond.

I like the make up of the current Liverpool squad. Mainly British, with a bit of European, S American and African influence. The variety is superb.

Off the top of my head

Goalkeepers 2 European, 1 British
Fullbacks 1 European 4 British
Centre Backs, One African, three European
Midfield 2 European 4 British
Forwards 1 S American, 2 African, 3 British

If all clubs had the same mix, what is the real problem?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Majority of the clubs dont have that mix and dont care if they do.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:If Brexit happens why should football get preferential treatment?
Nothing preferential, it would be like many other things with exceptions. preferential is when you get a better deal, each sport is unique.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:Majority of the clubs dont have that mix and dont care if they do.
That's their choice. I am all for a free market. Australia's salary cap and rules and regulations is holding the game up here IMO.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:If Brexit happens why should football get preferential treatment?
Nothing preferential, it would be like many other things with exceptions. preferential is when you get a better deal, each sport is unique.
Its not a free market anyway , you have FFP , which prevents some one else doing a Man City or Chelsea.

If a billionaire buys a Championship side he can't guy and run massive losses like they did in the early days, to buy your way to the top.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Its not a free market anyway , you have FFP , which prevents some one else doing a Man City or Chelsea.

If a billionaire buys a Championship side he can't guy and run massive losses like they did in the early days, to buy your way to the top.
the FFP is in place in essence but clubs bypass that, you know that!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Nicky Tanner wrote:
Liverpool won the Double in 1986, the FA cup winning team had no English players. Nobody was complaining then.

The issue is that lower league teams charge too much for English players. You can buy equivalent standard for far less in Europe and beyond.

I like the make up of the current Liverpool squad. Mainly British, with a bit of European, S American and African influence. The variety is superb.

Off the top of my head

Who cares if they're British. If they're not English, they're foreign.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:
Nicky Tanner wrote:

Off the top of my head

Although that's not relevant for work permits etc in sport - and you know this. but out of those 2 are Welsh who don't play (Woodburn and Ward) and one Scottish, who does (Robertson)

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Majority of the clubs dont have that mix and dont care if they do.
That's their choice. I am all for a free market. Australia's salary cap and rules and regulations is holding the game up here IMO.
So you like the fact that about only about 30% of EPL players are eligible to play for England?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
So you like the fact that about only about 30% of EPL players are eligible to play for England?
If they are the best English players what's the issue? Are you saying that you want rubbish players to play for England?
I don't get what you are getting at, the best English players play for England, and they are nearly always in the Premier League - the world's most popular and possibly best league.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Although that's not relevant for work permits etc in sport - and you know this. but out of those 2 are Welsh who don't play (Woodburn and Ward) and one Scottish, who does (Robertson)
How the shiraz is woodburn welsh?? I think you're under the misapprehension that you have to actually be from a home country to play for them

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
How the shiraz is woodburn welsh?? I think you're under the misapprehension that you have to actually be from a home country to play for them
i am using squad nationalities, not birthplaces.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
i am using squad nationalities, not birthplaces.
Or his parents'

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Is Mr Rush still looking after all the liverpool kids ?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:Is Mr Rush still looking after all the liverpool kids ?
He is involved with Wales and not LFC i believe.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
If he plays for wakes, he's Welsh and should shiraz off and play for TNS.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nicky Tanner wrote:

Off the top of my head

The point is they are in the English league which should be for English players.

If they're Welsh- TNS

Scottish - Aberdeen

Irish - celtic

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

A good job you have no say in the running of sport anywhere. With you logic you and your son should have never kicked a ball in an Australian league. And your daughter not played netball. I believe they are both English.

Anyway, your hero KP would have never played for England along with many other players to represent us.

You should know by now to not fish with me around :wink:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Whilst I completely understand what he means, I think this is really sad from a professional sportsman that coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th is celebrated more than actually winning something.
Hugo Lloris wrote:Qualifying for the Champions League next season "means more than a trophy" after Spurs beat Newcastle at Wembley to confirm their top-four place.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:Whilst I completely understand what he means, I think this is really sad from a professional sportsman that coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th is celebrated more than actually winning something.
Hugo Lloris wrote:Qualifying for the Champions League next season "means more than a trophy" after Spurs beat Newcastle at Wembley to confirm their top-four place.
I almost agree with you.
I don’t understand what he means though!

See you tomorrow night?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Whilst I completely understand what he means, I think this is really sad from a professional sportsman that coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th is celebrated more than actually winning something.
I almost agree with you.
I don’t understand what he means though!

See you tomorrow night?
Are you talking about Strikers v Beagles? Or did you mean Saturday evening?

As for Lloris, I think he's thinking of the money, not the glory. That's Levy's job IMO.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Are you talking about Strikers v Beagles? Or did you mean Saturday evening?

As for Lloris, I think he's thinking of the money, not the glory. That's Levy's job IMO.
What would I do without you! I have no idea why I thought I would see you Friday night ....I have got all the fixtures screwed up!!

Jellyfish Haircut
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Jellyfish Haircut »

When is the Uefa League final?
THE ORAKLE wrote:my days as a missionary for this forum are now over. :|

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Liverpool to win 3-1 :idea:
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:Liverpool to win 3-1 :idea:
Hopefully. I couldn't support Chelsea or Arsenal, not that they look like making the CL anytime soon :wink: , but other than them I'd always rather an English team wins it.
Danny Blanchflower