Champions League 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Champions League 2018

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Congratulations to Liverpool, should be an entertaining final and I think Madrid are there for the taking this season.

Some poor defending this morning and some bizarre decisions, or non decisions, by the ref, at least made it good to watch.
I thought the ref was at least consistent, except the last decision. But over the two legs I thought we deserved it and the officials didn’t change much. Although had we started 5-1 up it may have been even more comfortable.

I would have preferred to have Phil on the bench to see us through rather than Solanke, but we did it.

Liverpool denied an early penalty, then two nailed on pens not given for Roma, before they get one that wasn't a pen in a million years. All those officials and they still shiraz it up. Hard to say whether officiating affected the result as goals change games, but overall happy that Liverpool were the better side and deserved to progress.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Job done. :D

Would be nice to knock off Real.
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Congratulations to Liverpool, should be an entertaining final and I think Madrid are there for the taking this season.

Some poor defending this morning and some bizarre decisions, or non decisions, by the ref, at least made it good to watch.
I thought the ref was at least consistent, except the last decision. But over the two legs I thought we deserved it and the officials didn’t change much. Although had we started 5-1 up it may have been even more comfortable.

I would have preferred to have Phil on the bench to see us through rather than Solanke, but we did it.

Liverpool denied an early penalty, then two nailed on pens not given for Roma, before they get one that wasn't a pen in a million years. All those officials and they still shiraz it up. Hard to say whether officiating affected the result as goals change games, but overall happy that Liverpool were the better side and deserved to progress.
consistent as in bad, not giving penalties.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:
Bomber wrote:They should at least call it something else. And all it does is widen the gap between the haves and the have nots (rich clubs getting richer etc).
On the other hand you’re watching the very best of the concentration of talent and quality.

And there has been a torrent of goals recently to entertain the millions of neutrals watching on TV. Witness this morning’s 7-6 aggregate win by Liverpool against Roma.

It is what it is now. Even Australia’s mainstream media might mention the Final in Kiev on Saturday 26 May now that an English side is playing against Real Madrid.
Con M you like what has almost become a closed shop?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Clearly this morning’s game shows why we need to go back to the European cup format, should be a comp for real champions not that poor quality fluff from back door wannabes. Intertoto cup is the place for that rubbish.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:Clearly this morning’s game shows why we need to go back to the European cup format, should be a comp for real champions not that poor quality fluff from back door wannabes. Intertoto cup is the place for that rubbish.
you should fish when you haven't qualified. you still have a good chance.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:Clearly this morning’s game shows why we need to go back to the European cup format, should be a comp for real champions not that poor quality fluff from back door wannabes. Intertoto cup is the place for that rubbish.
Sarcasm not your strong point obviously :roll:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
I clearly got it, but you don't do sarcasm when you are potentially part of the joke.

You haven't yet get to chapter 2 of online humour for dummies.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Sponsors, broadcasters and fans the world over would wet their pants in anticipation of blockbuster QF clash between Club Brugge and Steaua Bucharest....

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:you should fish when you haven't qualified. you still have a good chance.
I clearly got it, but you don't do sarcasm when you are potentially part of the joke.

You haven't yet get to chapter 2 of online humour for dummies.
I can see why you're employed in IT, you're hopeless in the real world :lol:

Although, most of your workmates would say you're hopeless at IT as well :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
I can see why you're employed in IT, you're hopeless in the real world :lol:

Although, most of your workmates would say you're hopeless at IT as well :wink:
You don't know anyone I work with. You are so out of date...... :wink:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

The Kop wrote:
Sponsors, broadcasters and fans the world over would wet their pants in anticipation of blockbuster QF clash between Club Brugge and Steaua Bucharest....
Yes the proof is in the pudding this format works, it’s (often) been the best non domestic football on show in my lifetime. Now how to improve, how to spread the wealth and return likes of Ajax, Red star, Steaua etc. from less powerful leagues to the big stage. Only way is to scrap Bosman and let clubs hold players registrations again, keep squads together longer or fair compo for the smaller clubs efforts

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:
The Kop wrote:
Yes the proof is in the pudding this format works, it’s (often) been the best non domestic football on show in my lifetime. Now how to improve, how to spread the wealth and return likes of Ajax, Red star, Steaua etc. from less powerful leagues to the big stage. Only way is to scrap Bosman and let clubs hold players registrations again, keep squads together longer or fair compo for the smaller clubs efforts
Having a cap on overseas players per side to say 4 per match day squad would help as well. Sadly the EU wont allow that to change. One can hope that once Brexit is rolled out the English clubs will be bound by the same labour laws as all other businesses.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Having a cap on overseas players per side to say 4 per match day squad would help as well. Sadly the EU wont allow that to change. One can hope that once Brexit is rolled out the English clubs will be bound by the same labour laws as all other businesses.
so you want English clubs to suffer? That will only help other leagues.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Bomber wrote:Job done. :D

Real nice :wink:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Gabon wrote:
Bomber wrote:Job done. :D

Real nice :wink:
I'll be drinking all REDS not all WHITES with dinner this month. :wink:
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Brexit means leaving EU , why should football gets exemption from labour laws?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
You severed all ties with the UK a long time ago, so you're not really entitled to much of an opinion :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Answer why you think making the English teams weaker will help the game in the said country with weaker teams.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Enbgland voted for Brexit can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
4 is too high, make it 2.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:Enbgland voted for Brexit can't have one rule for football and another for everyone else.
Whilst I agree with you on the principle.

By introducing a cap you woild actually be treating football under different rules.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Firstly, sincere congratulations to Liverpool on their Champions League Cup Final achievement. Now that they are there I hope that they continue to entertain and it is not a final of cat and mouse. If Liverpool are allowed to be their flamboyant selves I fancy it could be theirs for the taking (with a few scares along the way). However if it becomes a dreary encounter I feel it will play in to the hands of Real who cannot be taken lightly no matter how the game pans out.
Now the politics kicks in. The match itself takes place in Kiev, Ukraine (not Russia) on Saturday 26th May at the Olympic Stadium which normally has a capacity of just over 70,000 spectators but will be reduced to 63,000 on the day (security measures but most likely means 7,000 dignitaries will get a free ride).
The 63,000 attendance will consist of 33,252 TRUE SUPPORTERS (16,626 representing each club), another 6,700 tickets will be offered to 'Worldwide Supporters', which makes up 63% of the total spectators. So the stinger is...........a whopping 37% of the attendance (or 23,000 NON supporters) will get preference over supporters that follow there respective teams week in week out.
Shows that it really is a trifle unfair to say the least. I would guess that some of these 23,000 tickets will be sold off to the true supporters for huge profit on the black market. If I were a Liverpool/Real supporter I might have got sucked in. As I am neither
I will be happy to watch in home comforts from my sofa. Point is the true fans get screwed every time.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Don't worry, meant liverpool will travel without tickets.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

pity (as well as funny) its taken a German to show the English how to play English football......
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:pity (as well as funny) its taken a German to show the English how to play English football......
If they were that good they wouldn't be a country mile behind Man City in the EPL. They are undoubtedly entertaining, but part of that entertainment is the unfortunate ability to shoot themselves in the foot in games they should win comfortably. They remind me a bit of Keegan's Newcastle.
Danny Blanchflower

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

The Kop wrote:
To be fair he is an Arsenal supporter and that tie would be better to watch than the usual p1ss weak stuff he would have to watch.
It's all in the Delivery!

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:pity (as well as funny) its taken a German to show the English how to play English football......
If they were that good they wouldn't be a country mile behind Man City in the EPL. They are undoubtedly entertaining, but part of that entertainment is the unfortunate ability to shoot themselves in the foot in games they should win comfortably. They remind me a bit of Keegan's Newcastle.
I am getting old, so my memory is fading, what European finals did Newcastle ever reach with Keegan? We are in our second in a couple of years and still in the infancy of the project with Klopp.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
You see you actually believe this . Overall we haven't thrown points away as you mention. We have thrown points way v WBA recently that's about it. other games we have deservedly dropped points for not being good enough on the day.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Do Liverpool play English football?

What is English football?

Surely, all football is English.