Champions League 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Champions League 2018

Post by Nice One Cyril »

LOL at all the Juve fans moaning about the nailed on penalty, they spent the whole night fouling at every opportunity and finally came unstuck.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Wayne Kerr
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Wayne Kerr »

Nice One Cyril wrote:LOL at all the Juve fans moaning about the nailed on penalty, they spent the whole night fouling at every opportunity and finally came unstuck.

Oh Juventus crying over a penalty...
Serie A leaders Juventus needed two penalties, the second a hugely controversial one awarded for an alleged trip on Gonzalo Higuain, to win 4-2 at bottom-of-the-table Benevento after the hosts twice came from behind to equalise on Saturday.
We got Ova' Here?? #ACCUPAHATERS!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Didn't see the game, only the pen incident. I thought it was soft.
Ignore this signature

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Bomber wrote:Didn't see the game, only the pen incident. I thought it was soft.

Exactly what Little Red said but he did say he thought it was a penalty though.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Mr Red wrote:

The way the Real player flung himself forward, I'm not surprised.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
Mr Red wrote:

The way the Real player flung himself forward, I'm not surprised.
If some geezer jumped on your back at speed I reckon you'd be on the deck quick smart.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Getting Rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Getting Rusty »

I haven't seen it but I am more likely to cringe at the word 'pen'.
No country who has never qualified for the world cup should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Sod Japan, sod Qatar, sod Blatter and his cronies!

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Chiellini got the ball,then striker-no penalty.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Medhi Benatia that was.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

predrag wrote:Chiellini got the ball,then striker-no penalty.
:lol: There speaks a whingeing Italian
Danny Blanchflower

Getting Rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Getting Rusty »

Getting the ball doesn't necessarily mean it is not a foul.
No country who has never qualified for the world cup should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Sod Japan, sod Qatar, sod Blatter and his cronies!

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Massive call- wouldn't normally defend an Englishman :lol: but I think he was as brave as cabernet to give it. Mind you as it was at Real's place maybe some will suggest he crapped himself and had to give it. A few years ago it would have been waved away without hesitation but the game has changed. Technically a penalty though I can understand how many see it otherwise. The beauty of it all is we have the privilege and comfort of watching it from home and viewing it from different angles and I bet it is about 50/50. What chance the man in the middle getting it right/wrong in a split second? To me it is better to go with the Referee (human error or not) as the VAR has hardly bathed itself in glory. Let the game flow with the only exception being goal line technology. That said such decisions by officials should be documented by UEFA in a transparent manner and we as the public should be educated/advised by them accordingly. A penalty or not? without beating about the bush.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:That said such decisions by officials should be documented by UEFA in a transparent manner and we as the public should be educated/advised by them accordingly. A penalty or not? without beating about the bush.
The problem with all the systems like VAR is that it's still a matter of opinion, just someone else's other than the ref.

I have no skin in the game and IMO it was a stonewall penalty, 99% of tackles from behind result in contact to the player that could or should be given as a foul in the modern game.

Once the penalty is given (and it isn't going to be ungiven), what is Juve's best chance? Buffon, their best keeper, saving it, but hey, let's act like a grenache who's retiring and thinks he can say what he wants and get yourself sent off. Understandable in the heat of the moment, but not very professional.
Danny Blanchflower

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Semi final draw today?

yes 9pm tonight :D :roll:
Last edited by Mr Red on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
If some geezer jumped on your back at speed I reckon you'd be on the deck quick smart.
:lol:

If only that actually happened!
Ignore this signature

Nugget
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Nugget »

Mr Red wrote:Semi final draw today?

yes 9pm tonight :D :roll:
8.30pm Adelaide time :D

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

rome and Liverpool would both be happy with that draw.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Brilliant semi between Real Madrid against Bayern Munich this morn. Couldn’t take my eyes off it.

Real just held on 2-2 and Bayern unlucky to not be in the Final.

Quality of the play and passing was of the highest order and it’s a pity the European Champions League does not have more profile in Australia.

Jellyfish Haircut
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Jellyfish Haircut »

Bring back the European Cup.
THE ORAKLE wrote:my days as a missionary for this forum are now over. :|

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Jellyfish Haircut wrote:Bring back the European Cup.
I would the love the Champions League be what it says a competition for Champions only. The only sides that should compete should be the sides that finish top of the various European Leagues plus the previous years winner. it is a joke that teams can finish 4th in the EPL year in year out can still qualify. Sadly it wont happen as the big clubs rule UEFA and the ever present threat of a break away league keeps it that way.

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

And the champions league has become this commercial and entertain behemoth because of it.

Careful what you wish for. I mean I can't imagine anyone getting up at 4am for Cluj vs Sparta Prague in the knockout stages.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

They should at least call it something else. And all it does is widen the gap between the haves and the have nots (rich clubs getting richer etc).
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

ozzie owl wrote:
I would the love the Champions League be what it says a competition for Champions only. The only sides that should compete should be the sides that finish top of the various European Leagues plus the previous years winner. it is a joke that teams can finish 4th in the EPL year in year out can still qualify. Sadly it wont happen as the big clubs rule UEFA and the ever present threat of a break away league keeps it that way.
Technically (but very unlikely) England could have 6 teams in the Champions League next year.

Jellyfish Haircut
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Jellyfish Haircut »

The Kop wrote:And the champions league has become this commercial and entertain behemoth because of it.

Careful what you wish for. I mean I can't imagine anyone getting up at 4am for Cluj vs Sparta Prague in the knockout stages.
I would
THE ORAKLE wrote:my days as a missionary for this forum are now over. :|

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
Technically (but very unlikely) England could have 6 teams in the Champions League next year.

It's limited to 5.

If Chelsea finish in the top 4, LFC win it, and Arsenal the Europa. Chelsea miss out.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The Kop wrote:And the champions league has become this commercial and entertain behemoth because of it.

I'm sure people would there is more to football than watching a small handful of clubs dominating every year.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
The problem with that idea is that the majority of the leagues around Europe are not strong enough to compete, the fourth team in the EPL is a country mile better than say, Celtic.
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Congratulations to Liverpool, should be an entertaining final and I think Madrid are there for the taking this season.

Some poor defending this morning and some bizarre decisions, or non decisions, by the ref, at least made it good to watch.
Danny Blanchflower

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Bomber wrote:They should at least call it something else. And all it does is widen the gap between the haves and the have nots (rich clubs getting richer etc).
On the other hand you’re watching the very best of the concentration of talent and quality.

And there has been a torrent of goals recently to entertain the millions of neutrals watching on TV. Witness this morning’s 7-6 aggregate win by Liverpool against Roma.

It is what it is now. Even Australia’s mainstream media might mention the Final in Kiev on Saturday 26 May now that an English side is playing against Real Madrid.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Congratulations to Liverpool, should be an entertaining final and I think Madrid are there for the taking this season.

Some poor defending this morning and some bizarre decisions, or non decisions, by the ref, at least made it good to watch.
I thought the ref was at least consistent, except the last decision. But over the two legs I thought we deserved it and the officials didn’t change much. Although had we started 5-1 up it may have been even more comfortable.

I would have preferred to have Phil on the bench to see us through rather than Solanke, but we did it.