Scrooge United called out for being Cheapscates.

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Scrooge United called out for being Cheapscates.

Post by Old Master »

Manchester United urged to boost wages for low-paid staff

1 February 2018

Campaigners are urging Manchester United to increase the pay of some of its staff because of the "grotesque" difference with players' salaries.

The Citizens UK charity will pass an open letter to the club in support of match day workers, some of whom it says are paid less than £7 per hour.

The charity's letter calls on the club to show "moral leadership".

The club said it paid permanent staff the Voluntary Living Wage, more than the statutory national figure.

The letter has been signed by business and community leaders including Stretford MP Kate Green, Bishop of Salford John Arnold and Tom Skinner, director of Greater Manchester Poverty Action.

Citizens UK said if new signing Alexis Sanchez was paid £400,000 a week, as some have reported, it would take him just 82 minutes in a game to earn the annual salary of a low-paid stadium worker.

Sanchez's pay, and Millions that were reportedly given to his agent revealed a "grotesque tale of two halves", with some staff on less than £7 an hour, said the group.

The letter, addressed to the club's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, is calling for a "community-first business approach".

It says: "The community spirit and passion of low-paid staff has helped to build the club's prestigious reputation.

"Everyone who makes the magic of match day happen deserves to live with dignity.

"We acknowledge the vital contribution that Manchester United makes as a global brand. We would be delighted if this could be reflected in a wage uplift for all low-paid staff."
'Competitive salaries'

The club has topped the table of the world's 20 richest football clubs for the second year in a row.

A club spokesman said: "Manchester United pays its staff competitive salaries for the jobs they undertake.

"We have many variations of contracts in place due to the size of the club, although all permanent employees, whether engaged on a full or part-time hours basis, are paid the Voluntary Living Wage, in line with the Premier League agreement."

The Voluntary Living Wage is £8.75 an hour outside London compared with the compulsory National Living Wage of £7.50 for over 25-year-olds

Generous to their staff aren't they?OM
I wonder what the CEO gets paid?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Scrooge United called out for being Cheapscates.

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:They should copy us

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... iving-wage

I'm not having a go at your, or anyone else's', club per se, but it is still a pretty poor pay for probably the hardest working and most loyal people in the club.

The RLW is not really what it says as it is a figure derived from 'Academics' and 'Financial Experts' who wouldn't have a clue how the real world works.
These people live in a fantasy world where everything happens exactly as it should.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master wrote:

I'm not having a go at your, or anyone else's', club per se, but it is still a pretty poor pay for probably the hardest working and most loyal people in the club.

The RLW is not really what it says as it is a figure derived from 'Academics' and 'Financial Experts' who wouldn't have a clue how the real world works.
These people live in a fantasy world where everything happens exactly as it should.
A guy I worked with on this for LFC, is a passionate Trade Unioinst, he is delighted with the outcome. He is local to LFC, and lives in Anfield. The fact he is happy is enough for me to think it's OK:-)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

If they don’t like the salary then they should move on and find another job.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

How are you an expert on the RLW in northern England when you hacen’t Lived there for years?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

How are you an expert on the RLW in northern England when you hacen’t Lived there for years?

Unlike you, I have friends and family over there.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

Unlike you, I have friends and family over there.[/quote]

1. Having friends doesn’t make you an expert on something.

2. Of course I don’t have friends in Northern England, my friends and family aren’t northern pikeys.