RIP Jimmy Armfield

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

RIP Jimmy Armfield

Post by Raich Carter »

Was always a pleasure listening to him on the radio, gave you a genuine insight into what was going on on the pitch

we've gone from Jimmy Armfield to Robbie Savage
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: RIP Jimmy Armfield

Post by ozzie owl »

True legend of the game and a loyal one club player with 569 games for Blackpool and 43 for England.

RIP.
Last edited by ozzie owl on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

ozzie owl wrote:True legend of the game and a loyal one club player with 569 games for Blckburn and 43 for England.

RIP.
Blackpool. I think he was a teammate of Old Master. they are probably best friends.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:True legend of the game and a loyal one club player with 569 games for Blckburn and 43 for England.

RIP.
Blackpool. I think he was a teammate of Old Master. they are probably best friends.
Thanks all fixed definately Blackpool.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

It is with great sadness that Leeds United learns of the passing of former manager Jimmy Armfield at the age of 82.

After a playing career which included representing England 43 times, 15 of them as captain, Jimmy won the Third Division with Bolton Wanderers, before replacing Brian Clough as manager of Leeds United on the 4th October 1974.

Managing Leeds United for 194 games, of which they won 88 and drew 47, Jimmy was at the helm as he led the side to a 1975 European Cup Final against Bayern Munich, beating Anderlecht and Barcelona in the earlier rounds.

Assisted by Don Howe, Jimmy was tasked with rebuilding an ageing side which had been successful under Don Revie, bringing in players such as Tony Currie, Ray Hankin, and Brian Flynn. The side would go on to reach the FA Cup Semi Final in 1977, and League Cup Semi Final in 1978.

After his tenure at Leeds United ended in May 1978, Jimmy entered the media world, becoming a journalist for the Daily Express, before spending over 35 years on commentary duties for the BBC.

Jimmy also worked with the FA in a consultancy role, helping to appoint England managers, and was awarded an OBE in 2000, for his services to football.

Nordland Fylke
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nordland Fylke »

He used to polish old master's boots.
FM radio is being phased out

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Raich Carter wrote:Was always a pleasure listening to him on the radio, gave you a genuine insight into what was going on on the pitch

I prefer Robbie Savage, not as biased.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nordland Fylke wrote:He used to polish old master's boots.

Actually, it was the other way round.

I have been grieving since one of his sons, John, rang me to advise of his passing, as our families have had a close relationship ever since he married my Mum's best friend, who was my God Mother, Jim always acted as a God Father x Uncle towards me, despite the 10+ year age gap with his wife.

I am not 'name dropping', as some on here have accused me of, this was a genuine and long-term family relationship.

R.I.P. Jim, I'll miss your regular emails and 'phone calls.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:
Nordland Fylke wrote:He used to polish old master's boots.

Actually, it was the other way round.

I have been grieving since one of his sons, John, rang me to advise of his passing, as our families have had a close relationship ever since he married my Mum's best friend, who was my God Mother, Jim always acted as a God Father x Uncle towards me, despite the 10+ year age gap with his wife.

I am not 'name dropping', as some on here have accused me of, this was a genuine and long-term family relationship.

R.I.P. Jim, I'll miss your regular emails and 'phone calls.
OK.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Mr Red wrote:It is with great sadness that Leeds United learns of the passing of former manager Jimmy Armfield at the age of 82.

After a playing career which included representing England 43 times, 15 of them as captain, Jimmy won the Third Division with Bolton Wanderers, before replacing Brian Clough as manager of Leeds United on the 4th October 1974.

Managing Leeds United for 194 games, of which they won 88 and drew 47, Jimmy was at the helm as he led the side to a 1975 European Cup Final against Bayern Munich, beating Anderlecht and Barcelona in the earlier rounds.

Assisted by Don Howe, Jimmy was tasked with rebuilding an ageing side which had been successful under Don Revie, bringing in players such as Tony Currie, Ray Hankin, and Brian Flynn. The side would go on to reach the FA Cup Semi Final in 1977, and League Cup Semi Final in 1978.

After his tenure at Leeds United ended in May 1978, Jimmy entered the media world, becoming a journalist for the Daily Express, before spending over 35 years on commentary duties for the BBC.

Jimmy also worked with the FA in a consultancy role, helping to appoint England managers, and was awarded an OBE in 2000, for his services to football.
Yep, I remember those golden years for Leeds. Currie & Flynn great midfielders encouraged by Jimmy. RIP.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:

RIP.
What? That’s not sarcasm & “humour” AGAIN on an RIP thread, New Name Not Needed?

Short memory AGAIN? Didn’t you and God Isn’t An Englishman trade turns at bringing up so-called humour on the RIP thread for Eusebio, a respected opponent of England?

At least God Isn’t An Englishman has climbed down on this one.

Look, you proven ageist New Name Not Needed, I don’t always agree with some of Old Master’s more out-there views, but many of his opinions have the game’s good name at heart.

Now, try & try to back off on this one. And as chief cheerleader for Not Nice Cyril and his proven ageist comments, try & try to encourage your mate to desist too.

Nordland Fylke
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nordland Fylke »

Con M wrote:At least God Isn’t An Englishman has climbed down on this one.
Are sure it wasn't sarcasm?
FM radio is being phased out

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:

RIP.
What? That’s not sarcasm & “humour” AGAIN on an RIP thread, New Name Not Needed?

Short memory AGAIN? Didn’t you and God Isn’t An Englishman trade turns at bringing up so-called humour on the RIP thread for Eusebio, a respected opponent of England?

Look, you proven ageist New Name Not Needed, I don’t always agree with some of Old Master’s more out-there views, but many of his opinions have the game’s good name at heart.

Now, try & try to back off on this one. And as chief cheerleader for Not Nice Cyril and his proven ageist comments, try & try to encourage your mate to desist too.
Can you provide the link to this Eusebio thread?

Clearly you Aussies (or whatever you are) will never get black/dark/gallows humour. I pity you for that because it's bottle of shiraz funny.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Con M wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:

RIP.

Thanks for the moral support ConM, but this lot are just ignorant bullies who try to belittle anyone with actual experience in the game and try to present a valid and well thought out comment, it is much easier to call us names than think about what we are saying.
They are just a mob of Sunday arvo 'kick about kings', with no regard for the game itself or anyone in it. :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Thanks for the moral support ConM, but this lot are just ignorant bullies who try to belittle anyone with actual experience in the game and try to present a valid and well thought out comment, it is much easier to call us names than think about what we are saying.
They are just a mob of Sunday arvo 'kick about kings', with no regard for the game itself or anyone in it. :roll:
Once again you have made this all about you. No one believes a word you say anymore. How about showing respect to a dead person. Disgusting person.

And for the record, I mainly played Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:Thanks for the moral support ConM, but this lot are just ignorant bullies who try to belittle anyone with actual experience in the game and try to present a valid and well thought out comment, it is much easier to call us names than think about what we are saying.
Once again you have made this all about you. No one believes a word you say anymore. How about showing respect to a dead person. Disgusting person.

I thought OM had told me in the past they are friends, yet I get slaughtered for it? He may have not said him and i am getting confused - it’s easily done as he has played with or knows many of the Worlds greats.

As for Eusebio, I have no idea what Con is on about , he is clearly mad, as he doesn’t know my name.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:

I thought OM had told me in the past they are friends, yet I get slaughtered for it? He may have not said him and i am getting confused - it’s easily done as he has played with or knows many of the Worlds greats.

As for Eusebio, I have no idea what Con is on about , he is clearly mad, as he doesn’t know my name.

In 1944, 18 year-olds stormed the beach at Normandy into almost certain death.

In 2017, 18-year-olds feel unsafe because words hurt their feelings!

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

In 1944, 18 year-olds stormed the beach at Normandy into almost certain death.

In 2017, 18-year-olds feel unsafe because words hurt their feelings!
Relevance?

Apart from that you are taking the piss out of yourself seeing as you get offended by everything.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Quote by the leader of the Trolls on FN, Giae;

You are the one who tries to make this all about you with your constant carping and disrespect for other people's feelings.

What you do is not 'Gallows Humour or Black Comedy' it is a vile insult and deliberate attempt to spoil things for others.

Jim was a very dear family friend to me and all you can do is make your usual crap comments and innuendos.

Fortunately, I get a lot of off forum posts from the many members on here that do agree with many of my posts but prefer not to make that known to you and your fellow Trolls for fear of being targeted.

I also get quite a few emails from former forum members, who have left due to constantly being harassed by you pathetic individuals that have ruined what used to be a great forum. :roll:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:You are the one who tries to make this all about you with your constant carping and disrespect for other people's feelings.

What you do is not 'Gallows Humour or Black Comedy' it is a vile insult and deliberate attempt to spoil things for others.

Jim was a very dear family friend to me and all you can do is make your usual crap comments and innuendos.

Fortunately, I get a lot of off forum posts from the many members on here that do agree with many of my posts but prefer not to make that known to you and your fellow Trolls for fear of being targeted.

I also get quite a few emails from former forum members, who have left due to constantly being harassed by you pathetic individuals that have ruined what used to be a great forum. :roll:
Can you show me where I posted about Jimmy Armfield where it any way it was vile or insulting?

What were you saying before about kids nowadays needing safe spaces due to internet bullies. I suggest you read that back to yourself and see what you have written on here. If you're to believed, which you rarely are, then it's quite sad that people are so insecure that they leave because people disagree with them.

Once again, it's ALL ABOUT YOU!!! Pathetic and disgusting, if you actually knew him you wouldn't be making comments like this.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:You are the one who tries to make this all about you with your constant carping and disrespect for other people's feelings.

Can you show me where I posted about Jimmy Armfield where it any way it was vile or insulting?

What were you saying before about kids nowadays needing safe spaces due to internet bullies. I suggest you read that back to yourself and see what you have written on here. If you're to believed, which you rarely are, then it's quite sad that people are so insecure that they leave because people disagree with them.

Once again, it's ALL ABOUT YOU!!! Pathetic and disgusting, if you actually knew him you wouldn't be making comments like this.

Once again, you fail to read what is written and instead demonstrate your ignorance byonly seeing what you want to see.

You really are oblivious to how your nasty are received by others, aren't you?

Your very avatar demonstrates your ignorance, as it is part of a false claim made by the Right Wing Political organisations to try and give legitimacy to their racist rants.

It misquotes an old English Hymn that raises the question, 'And did those feet in Ancient times walk upon Englands, Green and Pleasant Hills?'

By the way, the Hills mentioned in the Hymn are not the Cotswolds, as many of your fellow Southerners claim, but the Pennines, that run up the 'spine' of England, as anyone with a grasp of English Literature would know.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Once again, you fail to read what is written and instead demonstrate your ignorance byonly seeing what you want to see.

Your very avatar demonstrates your ignorance, as it is part of a false claim made by the Right Wing Political organisations to try and give legitimacy to their racist rants.

It misquotes an old English Hymn that raises the question, 'And did those feet in Ancient times walk upon Englands, Green and Pleasant Hills?cheap and nasty

By the way, the Hills mentioned in the Hymn are not the Cotswolds, as many of your fellow Southerners claim, but the Pennines, that run up the 'spine' of England, as anyone with a grasp of English Literature would know.
I am getting worried about you now, please go to the doctors soon. None of what you have written makes any sense.

My avatar is of a Millwall Supporters Club, how is that racist? What has that got to do with Jerusalem. Which by the way is a fantastic hymn that I sing regularly, including on Friday afternoon at Adelaide Oval. However, the hills regions mentioned are in the SW of England and nothing to do with the Pennines at all. It is based on the myth that Jesus in fact visited the SW of England and the Glastonbury area and that King Arthur held the Holy Grail there. BUT AGAIN, why have you even mentioned Jerusalem?

Now, back on the subject - WHEN DID I POST ANYTHING NASTY ABOUT JIMMY ARMFIELD?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Raich Carter wrote:Was always a pleasure listening to him on the radio, gave you a genuine insight into what was going on on the pitch

That is an insult to one of the most unbiased announcers in the media.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

That is an insult to one of the most unbiased announcers in the media.
So, it's an insult to say you prefer one person over another? It's an opinion. Sorry but you've lost it or deaf if you think he was unbiased.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote:Once again, you fail to read what is written and instead demonstrate your ignorance byonly seeing what you want to see.

It misquotes an old English Hymn that raises the question, 'And did those feet in Ancient times walk upon Englands, Green and Pleasant Hills?cheap and nasty

I am getting worried about you now, please go to the doctors soon. None of what you have written makes any sense.

My avatar is of a Millwall Supporters Club, how is that racist? What has that got to do with Jerusalem. Which by the way is a fantastic hymn that I sing regularly, including on Friday afternoon at Adelaide Oval. However, the hills regions mentioned are in the SW of England and nothing to do with the Pennines at all. It is based on the myth that Jesus in fact visited the SW of England and the Glastonbury area and that King Arthur held the Holy Grail there. BUT AGAIN, why have you even mentioned Jerusalem?

Not that I'm looking to agree with OM, but I've always understood that "England's mountains green", not pleasant hills as OM thinks, were the Pennines, purely because the next verse goes on to mention the "dark, satanic mills", which makes me think of Lancashire.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:

Not that I'm looking to agree with OM, but I've always understood that "England's mountains green", not pleasant hills as OM thinks, were the Pennines, purely because the next verse goes on to mention the "dark, satanic mills", which makes me think of Lancashire.
To be honest, until today I've not even thought about where the mountains were. However, with the myth being about Jesus visiting SW England, it would make sense for it to be somewhere in that area of the country.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nothing to do with Jimmy Armfield, but saw this and thought, how appropriate.
Neil Warnock wrote: I don't want a minute's silence when I die... I'd like a full minute of chanting "Warnock is a w*****
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:Nothing to do with Jimmy Armfield, but saw this and thought, how appropriate.
Neil Warnock wrote: I don't want a minute's silence when I die... I'd like a full minute of chanting "Warnock is a w*****

:lol:

Brilliant!!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Nothing to do with Jimmy Armfield, but saw this and thought, how appropriate.

:lol:

Brilliant!!

We'll do that for you now if you want. :P

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote: We'll do that for you now if you want. :P
Go for it. It wouldn't bother me at all, especially as my name isn't Warnock.

WHEN DID I POST ANYTHING NASTY ABOUT JIMMY ARMFIELD?