EPL Transfers 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: EPL Transfers 2018

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Barkley off to Chelsea, but not sure I can see him getting a game tbh.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Coutinho must surely be going or he would have signed a contract by now? What do your inside info sources say?
Phil signed a contract a year ago. Not that it will Keep him.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... -statement
You got that one right and at least you got decent money for him. We'll find out now whether you're right about losing him not affecting Liverpool's play or whether I'm right in thinking that you'll be considerably worse. Interesting times.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Coutinho must surely be going or he would have signed a contract by now? What do your inside info sources say?
Phil signed a contract a year ago. Not that it will Keep him.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-t ... -statement
You got that one right and at least you got decent money for him. We'll find out now whether you're right about losing him not affecting Liverpool's play or whether I'm right in thinking that you'll be considerably worse. Interesting times.
Well we have a better record without him than with so far this season.
And to back it up a bit, our best performance v Arsenal he didn't play, and our worst v Spurs he did.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:Well we have a better record without him than with so far this season.
And to back it up a bit, our best performance v Arsenal he didn't play, and our worst v Spurs he did.
Arsenal were woeful that day and Spurs were brilliant, so I'm not sure the extremes would count for much, but I am surprised that you've done better without him tbh. All I'm sure of is that most teams would rather face Pool without him.
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

I thought that would be the worst Arsenal could play this season but apparently I was wrong. Agree, stats like that are only relevant if they are against comparable teams, no idea if they are. Coutinho is a big game player though.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

N5 1BH wrote:I thought that would be the worst Arsenal could play this season but apparently I was wrong. Agree, stats like that are only relevant if they are against comparable teams, no idea if they are. Coutinho is a big game player though.
I find the stats amazing TBH. I don't agree he is a big game player, he has played well and badly equally in big and small games.

He is great at unlocking a defence with great passes, but the odd game this season it hasnt always happened for him (0-0 at home v West Brom).
Last season he was the catalyst v Arsenal and Chelsea away scoring important first goals for us.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Old Master wrote:What ever happened to the world famous Liverpool talent factory?

They used to churn out young stars by the dozen but now all they do is buy, buy, buy. :oops:

Have they lost all those talent scouts of old?
One of England’s greatest players over the past 15 years was our captain.
TAA looks to be the goods
Fowler
Carragher
Owen

Looking back at our most successful teams who did we nurture? Double in 1986 I think we signed them all. 1988 we did the same - the year we were simply brilliant
1984 Souness was the star

Old Master I think you wrote a load of rubbish again TBH

So the club is simply a poacher of other clubs' talent then?

That's obviously why Southampton has become the Liverpool nursery club these days?

There was I thinking Liverpool produced most of their own players during the reign of Shankly and Paisley, so the famous 'Liverpool talent factory' is a myth?

Do the other scousers on this forum share your view?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

OM sadly the days of England's leading clubs producing the majority of its own players has long gone. The EPL awash with TV billions is a league where young English talent struggles to break through. The recent success of the English Under age national sides is proof that they can produce world class talent the big issue is what happens to them next. With most EPL sides foreign owned the pressure for success ( or failure ) means that most managers play safe and buy an experienced overeas player rather than take the risk on young (English) talent. Unless Brexit forces some changes the financial clout of the EPL will see little change in the immediate future.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Old Master wrote:What ever happened to the world famous Liverpool talent factory?

They used to churn out young stars by the dozen but now all they do is buy, buy, buy. :oops:

Have they lost all those talent scouts of old?
One of England’s greatest players over the past 15 years was our captain.
TAA looks to be the goods
Fowler
Carragher
Owen

Looking back at our most successful teams who did we nurture? Double in 1986 I think we signed them all. 1988 we did the same - the year we were simply brilliant
1984 Souness was the star

Old Master I think you wrote a load of rubbish again TBH

So the club is simply a poacher of other clubs' talent then?

That's obviously why Southampton has become the Liverpool nursery club these days?

There was I thinking Liverpool produced most of their own players during the reign of Shankly and Paisley, so the famous 'Liverpool talent factory' is a myth?

Do the other scousers on this forum share your view?
My view? It's fact!!

What I think you are trying to get at, is we nurtured players, like Keegan, Clemence, Rush etc. But we did buy them from lower leagues.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

ozzie owl wrote:OM sadly the days of England's leading clubs producing the majority of its own players has long gone. The EPL awash with TV billions is a league where young English talent struggles to break through. The recent success of the English Under age national sides is proof that they can produce world class talent the big issue is what happens to them next. With most EPL sides foreign owned the pressure for success ( or failure ) means that most managers play safe and buy an experienced overeas player rather than take the risk on young (English) talent. Unless Brexit forces some changes the financial clout of the EPL will see little change in the immediate future.

Sadly, I am fully aware of the realities of modern EPL :wink: Football, I was just having a lend of NT.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

swannsong wrote:Huddersfield have picked up 23 year old Dutch international Terence Kongolo on loan from Monaco...
Just signed Alex Pritchard from Norwich City....looks like a handy player...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKBIwje35Lg
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

swannsong wrote:
swannsong wrote:Huddersfield have picked up 23 year old Dutch international Terence Kongolo on loan from Monaco...

Was a Spurs youth
Danny Blanchflower

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
swannsong wrote:

Was a Spurs youth
And West Ham...had a lot of nurturing :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Sanchez to the Mancs, Mahrez coming in
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:Sanchez to the Mancs, Mahrez coming in
Sanchez pffft, who needs him to beat Bournemouth :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:Sanchez to the Mancs, Mahrez coming in
It looks like Mourinho's desperation to buy and Arsenal's desperation to sell is going to result in Mkhitaryan going the other way. United are getting a £100m player for something like a quarter of his value, even though it's going to cost them a pretty penny in wages. Trading a 28 year old for a 29 year old won't give either club much of a resale value, but I guess they can both afford it.

The next interesting one will be whether Wilshere accepts a wage cut and stays, or whether he'll be on his bike. One of the best midfielders in the country and Arsenal appear to be intent on forcing him out. Very odd financial priorities to be willing to lose gazillions on Sanchez and Ozil, but penny pinching to save a couple of mil on Jack's wages.
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

If Sanchez moves to Man U, does that mean significantly less game time for Rashford? If so might be worth a move away from Old Trafford in the summer for the young English attacker.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Aubameyang looks like he's moving to the Goons. Another old bloke past his best, looking for a payday :lol:

Meanwhile the (once) mighty Spurs are now favourites to sign the 20 year old wonderkid (not sure about that tbf) Malcom.

Shows the difference between the two managers, Wenger after a quick fix to get the fans off his back, whilst Poch continues to build sensibly.

New stadium's looking nice btw :D
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:Aubameyang looks like he's moving to the Goons. Another old bloke past his best, looking for a payday :lol:

Meanwhile the (once) mighty Spurs are now favourites to sign the 20 year old wonderkid (not sure about that tbf) Malcom.

Shows the difference between the two managers, Wenger after a quick fix to get the fans off his back, whilst Poch continues to build sensibly.

Does he play in the middle?

Nordland Fylke
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nordland Fylke »

:lol:
FM radio is being phased out

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Aubameyang looks like he's moving to the Goons. Another old bloke past his best, looking for a payday :lol:

Malcom on the wing. Different spelling idiot. :wink:
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:

Malcom on the wing. Different spelling idiot. :wink:
do you remember this malcom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OFL729vGc

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

I sense a hint of jealousy in your tone Cyril :wink:

I didn't hear the Mancs complaining last season with the signing of Ibra & helping them back into the UCL & lifting a trophy

& on the Spuds.. all we have heard for years is beating your chest with the promotion and signings of youth but to date nothing in the trophy cabinet to show for it! You boys will be like us Goons when we built the Emirates and will be forced to sell your best to help balance the books - seeya Ali and Harry
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote:

I sense a hint of jealousy in your tone Cyril :wink:

I didn't hear the Mancs complaining last season with the signing of Ibra & helping them back into the UCL & lifting a trophy

& on the Spuds.. all we have heard for years is beating your chest with the promotion and signings of youth but to date nothing in the trophy cabinet to show for it! You boys will be like us Goons when we built the Emirates and will be forced to sell your best to help balance the books - seeya Ali and Harry
Giroud might well scupper the whole deal. I will cack myself laughing if we sign Moura and you end up signing........

......nobody :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Pochettino signs for five more years which is great news for the Spurs. Now I hope they give him the money and the final say on transfers. No more Soldados or Sissokos please.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Nice One Cyril wrote:Pochettino signs for five more years which is great news for the Spurs. Now I hope they give him the money and the final say on transfers. No more Soldados or Sissokos please.
TBF no player you have bought in the past decade has won you anything.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Pochettino signs for five more years which is great news for the Spurs. Now I hope they give him the money and the final say on transfers. No more Soldados or Sissokos please.
Past three decades

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
TBF Liverpool haven't won to much in the last decade either, have they :?:

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Mr Red wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:
TBF Liverpool haven't won to much in the last decade either, have they :?:
No, but I wasn't complaining about bad signings.