Rhian Brewster

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Rhian Brewster

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Solanke is so last FIFA tournament

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41753629

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Rhian Brewster

Post by N5 1BH »

Ha! over rated Essex boy. Emile Smith Rowe now there’s a prospect.

England’s strategic plan progressing nice and steady, powerful playing style, unbeaten in open play competitively this year and bonus of a few titles - U21 European 3rd place (lost on penalties), U20 world champs, U19 European champs, U18 Toulon Tournament winners….U17 World ???

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote:Ha! over rated Essex boy. Emile Smith Rowe now there’s a prospect.

England’s strategic plan progressing nice and steady, powerful playing style, unbeaten in open play competitively this year and bonus of a few titles - U21 European 3rd place (lost on penalties), U20 world champs, U19 European champs, U18 Toulon Tournament winners….U17 World ???

There is real production line of quaity coming through the English system, I watched the U17 SF last night. The critical issue is the EPL, with the wave of foreign owned clubs short term success/survival becomes the number one priority for managers. The clubs agenda's dont have to align with those of the national side and as such few EPL sides are prepared to give the younger talent signifcant game time. Therefore you cant blame the younger players heading to the European leagues.

Here is Jamie Rednapps view:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... break.html

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:

There is real production line of quaity coming through the English system, I watched the U17 SF last night. The critical issue is the EPL, with the wave of foreign owned clubs short term success/survival becomes the number one priority for managers. The clubs agenda's dont have to align with those of the national side and as such few EPL sides are prepared to give the younger talent signifcant game time. Therefore you cant blame the younger players heading to the European leagues.

What younger players have gone to Europe and done well?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

What younger players have gone to Europe and done well?
It is only a recent trend.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tting-ties

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

ozzie owl wrote:

I say again, what players have achieved anything since moving overseas?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Given this crop have only joined in this off season, how can anyone answer that?

Reality is that youg English palyers get less senior game time than their counterparts in Spain, France , Italy and Germany.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

David Platt and David Beckham are the only ones I can think of who have really achieved anything when moving overseas.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Given this crop have only joined in this off season, how can anyone answer that?

Reality is that youg English palyers get less senior game time than their counterparts in Spain, France , Italy and Germany.
How many are going out on loan to championship or league one clubs? Even Millwall have younger players out on loan to lower division clubs.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Keegan did well

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nicky_Tanner wrote:Keegan did well
Agreed.

Ian Rush didn't like it though, it was like living in a foreign country.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Daniel Dichio or Luther Blisset?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:
Agreed.

He is not English though. And Ian claims he never said it! Dalglish said he said it when he rejoined us.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
Agreed.

He is not English though. And Ian claims he never said it! Dalglish said he said it when he rejoined us.
Ha. Gotcha, God Isn’t An Englishman! And here wuz me thinking you didn’t over-like the Jocks, Northern Irish & other non-English in Great Britain. Or was Rushy an honorary Englishman?

Here’s another Brit that made it over the Channel in the Continent - Gareth Bale @ Real Madrid.

But back to topic - is it because young Englanders/Brits don’t like being away from home that they won’t go to Continental Leagues?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

David Platt and David Beckham are the only ones I can think of who have really achieved anything when moving overseas.

John Charles was the vanguard.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I actually thought I posted on here about John Charles last night.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:I actually thought I posted on here about John Charles last night.
Maybe you dreamt it :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I actually thought I posted on here about John Charles last night.
Maybe you dreamt it :wink:
Strange dream about him and Mark Hughes if I did.

Gary Lineker went OK at barcelona as well.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Huh? I thought John Charles wuz Welsh. Or an honorary Englishman too, eh God Isn’t An Englishman?

Any chance of answering my previous question, G. Isn’t A.E.?

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Con M wrote:
Huh? I thought John Charles wuz Welsh. Or an honorary Englishman too, eh God Isn’t An Englishman?

Con I would think money is huge factor because at 18 on EPL contract the young English players can earn more warming the bench in England than playing for most clubs in Europe. Then there is the lifestyle factor with many English players past and present struggling with life in foreign countries.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Con M wrote:

No Rush is welsh

I would think (and I hate agreeing with ozzie owl) that it comes down to money and not wanting to leave England where they can't speak the language etc..

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Denis Law did well in Italy, probably the best British player to play in Italia - he had major problems learning Italian though, as he couldn't even speak English that well. 8)
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

It is possible that in fulfilling a lifelong dream and securing good contracts at world class clubs they have enough self belief to think, after a couple of loan spells for experience, they really do have a fair chance of getting in the side. Maybe they are actually genuine and it’s them that are just being misled and exploited by clubs and agents.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:Denis Law did well in Italy, probably the best British player to play in Italia - he had major problems learning Italian though, as he couldn't even speak English that well. 8)
Souness was class.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote:Denis Law did well in Italy, probably the best British player to play in Italia - he had major problems learning Italian though, as he couldn't even speak English that well. 8)
Which part is him doing well? I know Wiki is not gospel but.....

Law moved to Torino for a fee of £110,000,[note 2] (a record fee for a transfer involving a British player)[14] and was accompanied by Joe Baker who had signed from Scottish side Hibernian.[15] Law's time in Italy did not go according to plan. Another Italian club, Internazionale, tried to prevent him becoming a Torino player as soon as he arrived, claiming he had signed a pre-contract agreement with them, although they dropped this claim before the season started.[4][15]
Players in the UK were not treated well at the time, and the maximum wage for footballers had only recently been abolished there, so he was pleasantly surprised to find that pre-season training was based in a luxury hotel in the Alps.[4] However, Torino took performance-related pay to something of an extreme, giving the players bags full of money when the team won but little, if anything, when they lost.[16] Like many British footballers who have gone to play in Italy, Law did not like the style of football and found adapting to it difficult. The ultra-defensive catenaccio system was popular there at the time, so forwards did not get many chances to score.[17]
On 7 February 1962, he was injured in a car crash when his team-mate Joe Baker drove the wrong way around a roundabout and clipped the kerb as he tried to turn the car around, flipping it over. Baker was almost killed, but Law's injuries were not life-threatening.[18]
By April, he had put in a transfer request, which was ignored.[15] The final straw for Law came in a match against Napoli when he was sent off. After the match, he was told that Torino's coach, Beniamino Santos, had instructed the referee to send him off because he was angry at Law for taking a throw in, which he had been told not to do.[19] Law walked out, and was told that he would be transferred to Manchester United. A few days later, however, he was told that he was being sold to Juventus and that the small print in his contract committed him to going there whether he wanted to or not. He responded by flying home to Aberdeen, knowing that Torino would not get a penny in transfer fees if he refused to play at Juventus.[4] He eventually signed for United on 10 July 1962, for a new British record fee of £115,000.[note 3][4][14]
Although his time in Italy was mixed, Law was voted number one foreign player in Italy ahead of team-mate Joe Baker, Fiorentina winger Kurt Hamrin and Inter Milan midfielder Luis Suarez.[15] The lifestyle and culture of a foreign country was an eye-opener for the young Scotsman, and the medical expertise and sports science in Italy was far ahead of what was available in the UK at the time.[15] Ultimately though, Law found the football to be joyless and overly defensive, with him being subjected to violent man marking and heavy tackling on a frequent basis.[15]

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:Torino took performance-related pay to something of an extreme, giving the players bags full of money when the team won but little, if anything, when they lost.
How it should be. None of this flat rate win, draw, lose bollocks
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

considering all the recent success at under age tournaments, i thought the following was interesting
"We've played like we want all of our England teams to play," Cooper said.

"Brave on the ball, pass, pass, pass, not one long ball, get into good areas, play as a team and some good individual play up the field as well.
England U17 Manager Steve Cooper
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The Man City player Phil Foden looks like a real star in the making.

Funky Punk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Funky Punk »

Stellar Nursery is also a star in the making.
How on earth did this happen?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

No guarantees in football, even by going abroad. Arguably one of England’s best prospects, Jadon Sancho, left man city for dormund to get game time. Got taken out of the England U17 squad by the krauts mid tournament, they reckon for their first team. Ends up playing only the last 6 minutes of just one game to date so misses out on a once in lifetime experience and for what?