UCL Group Stage

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: UCL Group Stage

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Chelsea beaten 3-0 by Roma but sad see this happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... rters.html
Chelsea will be blamed

They were Millwall fans in disguise. :lol:
Definitely to blame them.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Old Master wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:Chelsea beaten 3-0 by Roma but sad see this happen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... rters.html
Chelsea will be blamed

They were Millwall fans in disguise. :lol:
Pikeys knocking about as spivs.... who would know :?:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote:Pikeys knocking about as spivs.... who would know :?:

Pikeys, are you now saying it was west ham or gillingham?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Looks like the British teams are going to be well represented in the knockout stages, Spurs and Citeh through, United and Liverpool look odds on and you'd think that Chelsea will make it too. Only Celtic doing their usual and bowing out early :wink:

There'll be some interesting ties ahead with Juve, Bayern and Real all looking like they might finish second.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Looks like the British teams are going to be well represented in the knockout stages, Spurs and Citeh through, United and Liverpool look odds on and you'd think that Chelsea will make it too. Only Celtic doing their usual and bowing out early :wink:

There'll be some interesting ties ahead with Juve, Bayern and Real all looking like they might finish second.
Spurs settled into their "temp home" and the Wembley Hoodoo over NOC?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Looks like the British teams are going to be well represented in the knockout stages, Spurs and Citeh through, United and Liverpool look odds on and you'd think that Chelsea will make it too. Only Celtic doing their usual and bowing out early :wink:

Lose to West Ham, beat Real Madrid. Who knows?
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:

Lose to West Ham, beat Real Madrid. Who knows?
Sounds like Liverpool in recent years. Welcome to the stress and wonderment at the same time. :wink:
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Celtic couldn't handle all the flying that European matches create, they're used to being able to go to any game on the bus and being back home for 'Match of the Day' on TV. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Celtic couldn't handle all the flying that European matches create, they're used to being able to go to any game on the bus and being back home for 'Match of the Day' on TV. :lol:

Isn't that the case for almost all the clubs in europe?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Refreshing to see a tottenham fan only taking the piss for a change

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master wrote:Celtic couldn't handle all the flying that European matches create, they're used to being able to go to any game on the bus and being back home for 'Match of the Day' on TV. :lol:
Although MOTD was not on in Scotland, it's Sportscene.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
With iplayer, I'm sure they would still watch Match of the Day though. Why would you bother watching scottish football?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nicky_Tanner wrote:
With iplayer, I'm sure they would still watch Match of the Day though. Why would you bother watching scottish football?
From memory Sportscene had one scottish game and one English...but I am talking many years ago. iPlayer doesn't have MOTD for days, but you can stream it live

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

From memory Sportscene had one scottish game and one English...but I am talking many years ago. iPlayer doesn't have MOTD for days, but you can stream it live[/quote][/quote]

If 'Magic Roundabout' was still airing, most people would watch that in preference to Scottish Football.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

And so to bed said Zebedee

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

I know full well that Scottish football is not top notch. That said a few EPL games are shocking and IMO it is hyped to the max.
Just ask Joey Barton how easy it is in the Scottish Premiership. Tony Cascarino (ex dud that played for Celtic when Rangers dominated) has taken huge flack for talking Celtic's unbeaten run down in domestic football. Chris Sutton (most likely his most outspoken critic to date) has rightly told him that he has no idea what he is talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but what impresses me about Brendan Rodgers' mentality is that his team is winning games in Scotland consistently and rarely dropping their standards. They are seldom 'brought down' to their opponent's level and remain motivated and dedicated to do the job. The mentality is admirable and any record of that nature must be respected. When Rangers dominated for years and Celtic were poor to average at best Rangers failed to reach this unbeaten feat domestically. Records like this should be admired and not scoffed at.
Finally, what happened in Lisbon in 1967 will never be surpassed. A team of locals that lived within 40 or so km from each other
and all born and raised in Scotland. Jock Stein and the Lisbon Lions will never be forgotten. When football was football and men were men- not the whinging overpaid primadonnas we have nowadays (not to mention their agents) that will move from club to club for the best deal.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cascarino was spot on in his comments

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:Finally, what happened in Lisbon in 1967 will never be surpassed. A team of locals that lived within 40 or so km from each other and all born and raised in Scotland. Jock Stein and the Lisbon Lions will never be forgotten. When football was football and men were men- not the whinging overpaid primadonnas we have nowadays (not to mention their agents) that will move from club to club for the best deal.
The rest of your comment was complete rubbish (at about the same level as Scottish football :wink: ) but I totally agree with the last paragraph, a fine achievement that may be surpassed, but it will never happen again in the same way, that's for sure.

In the last 20-30 years, how many quality players at the top of their game have gone to Scotland and how many have gone the other way? I can only think of Henrik Larsson and he dominated from memory.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Not ideal to blow a 3-0 lead in Spain, but the draw should be enough anyway.
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:Not ideal to blow a 3-0 lead in Spain, but the draw should be enough anyway.
Clinched a draw from the jaws of victory.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

If it's a draw on points it comes down to head to head, is that right, so if liverpool lose then it's all over? That would be very amusing, hope moreno is fit for that game.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

N5 1BH wrote:If it's a draw on points it comes down to head to head, is that right, so if liverpool lose then it's all over? That would be very amusing, hope moreno is fit for that game.
If Liverpool were to lose at home to Spartak (who couldn't beat Maribor at home), then they'd hardly deserve a spot in the next stage in any case.
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:If it's a draw on points it comes down to head to head, is that right, so if liverpool lose then it's all over? That would be very amusing, hope moreno is fit for that game.
If Liverpool were to lose at home to Spartak (who couldn't beat Maribor at home), then they'd hardly deserve a spot in the next stage in any case.
Liverpool's record at home to shite teams is not wonderful. Although I can see them winning handsomely, a nervous game awaits. Very amusing for the non-Messiah supporters.
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Liverpool's record at home to shite teams is not wonderful. Although I can see them winning handsomely, a nervous game awaits. Very amusing for the non-Messiah supporters.
Plus Maribor could knock off Sevilla :wink:
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Man United making hard work of what should have been an easy group, should still get over Moscow though.

Celtic were leading PSG, but every 10 minutes when I flicked over to see their score, PSG had scored another goal. :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Barca V Juve - now this was a boring draw.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Mr Red wrote:Barca V Juve - now this was a boring draw.
Strange game plan by Juve, they could have done with a win but, like most Italian teams, were happy not to lose. If I was one of the home fans, I wouldn't be impressed.
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Nice One Cyril wrote:Celtic were leading PSG, but every 10 minutes when I flicked over to see their score, PSG had scored another goal. :lol:
Tony Cascarino's point looking rather valid

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Mr Red wrote:Barca V Juve - now this was a boring draw.
Strange game plan by Juve, they could have done with a win but, like most Italian teams, were happy not to lose. If I was one of the home fans, I wouldn't be impressed.
Me to - I was disappointed as a neutral - I taped it expecting a really good game but as sometimes happens that doesn't eventuate. :(

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Celtic, lol.

Scottish football at A-League level now. :wink:
Ignore this signature