European Under-19 Championship: England beat Portugal in fin

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

European Under-19 Championship: England beat Portugal in fin

Post by Old Master »

European Under-19 Championship: England beat Portugal in final

6 hours ago From the section Football 188

England had lost their previous two European Under-19 finals

England won the European Under-19 Championship with a 2-1 victory over Portugal in the final in Georgia.

Aston Villa's Easah Suliman put the Young Lions ahead before Chelsea youngster Dujon Sterling volleyed into his own net six minutes later.

However, Manchester City striker Lukas Nmecha's goal gave England the victory.

Keith Downing's side played with 10 men for the final nine minutes after Fulham's Tayo Edun was sent off for a second yellow card.

It is the third title for England's youth teams in two months after England won the Under-20 World Cup and the Toulon Tournament in June.

England were also semi-finalists at the European Under-21 Championship in Poland last month, losing on penalties to Germany.

The Under-19s reached the final having topped their group before beating the Czech Republic and Germany in the knockout stages.

Downing praised his side for their character against a "lot of pressure" from Portugal.

"These boys are a talented youngsters. There are six under the age of 18 but they showed their resilience as well as quality," he said.

Captain Jay Dasilva said the win "capped off a great summer for the England youth teams".

"Hopefully this is something we can build on and keep getting better and better," he added.

Downing said the Football Association's investment into St George's Park has created "huge momentum" in youth football.

"What we need to do now is sustain this success and continue working through all the age groups.

"It's been a big year for us and we will enjoy it but there is continued work."
Who are the team?

Aaron Ramsdale (Gk) - Bournemouth, Dujon Sterling - Chelsea, Jay Dasilva - Chelsea, Tayo Edun - Fulham, Easah Suliman - Aston Villa, Isaac Buckley-Ricketts - Manchester City, Andre Dozzell - Ipswich Town, Mason Mount - Chelsea, Ryan Sessegnon - Fulham, Lukas Nmecha - Manchester City, Darnell Johnson - Leicester City.

Subs: Nathan Trott - West Ham United, Ben Brereton - Nottingham Forest, Marcus Edwards - Tottenham Hotspur, Josh Dasilva - Arsenal, Jacob Maddox - Chelsea, Reece James - Chelsea
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: European Under-19 Championship: England beat Portugal in

Post by ozzie owl »

Great resurgence by England at under age level, the real key is to make sure these young players now get valuable senior matches . Was good to see Sessegnon remain at Fulham to play first team rather than head to big EPL side to play under 23 and the odd EPL cup game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

"Ozzie" owl/comet/red/king must be gutted.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:"Ozzie" owl/comet/red/king must be gutted.

It appears that the FA have finally got the message about Football having moved past 'Hoof ball' and their new training facility coaches actually have some idea of how the modern game is played.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

It appears that the FA have finally got the message about Football having moved past 'Hoof ball' and their new training facility coaches actually have some idea of how the modern game is played.
When was the last time you attended a junior training session in England?

I did recently, not that much difference in youth training between australia and England.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

I did recently, not that much difference in youth training between australia and England.
just a massive difference in the quality of players

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:

It's been 43 years since I watched Juniors training in England, but fortunately, I have many friends, relatives and people who I have been lucky enough to know from my days in Football, in England & Europe, and some who I've met over here who now live over there, to keep me up to date with what is happening.
I know you find it hard to believe that so many people keep in contact with me and do so of their own free will, but there it is, suck it up and get on with your own life and stop worrying about mine.
Live your own life as pathetic as it must be.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

It's been 43 years since I watched Juniors training in England, but fortunately, I have many friends, relatives and people who I have been lucky enough to know from my days in Football, in England & Europe, and some who I've met over here who now live over there, to keep me up to date with what is happening.
I know you find it hard to believe that so many people keep in contact with me and do so of their own free will, but there it is, suck it up and get on with your own life and stop worrying about mine.
Live your own life as pathetic as it must be.
Now to start with, I don't know what brought on this little rant seeing as I was agreeing with you. However, you're right - I dont believe that anyone stays in touch with you.

Have you considetered getting your oen opinion rathet than just going on what these "friends" opinions are.

Now, what's your opinion on Ed Sheeran, I think you'd be the type to like his songs.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Good to see England coaching staff supporting young players heading to Europe to get experience.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... broad.html

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Interesting BBC article about game time for the young (under 19-21) England players.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41471883