Video Assistant Referee

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Video Assistant Referee

Post by Chico »

Watching Mexico v Russia

How awesome is the VAR!!! Goal ruled out by VAR due to close offside incorrectly ruled inside by the referee in the first instance.

Proving to be a really amazing use of tech. The sooner it comes in around the world the better.

Noting also that it doesn't take more than 30seconds to review which is good

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Video Assistant Referee

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

Chico wrote:Goal ruled out by VAR due to close offside incorrectly ruled inside by the referee in the first instance.
What if it was the reverse? Say the referee called offside but the VAR to show it wasn't but the defense stopped because the referee had blown the whistle... surely that decision couldn't be overturned.
I tend to go off on a tangent

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

sin²x + cos²x = 1 wrote:
Chico wrote:Goal ruled out by VAR due to close offside incorrectly ruled inside by the referee in the first instance.
What if it was the reverse? Say the referee called offside but the VAR to show it wasn't but the defense stopped because the referee had blown the whistle... surely that decision couldn't be overturned.
This is a good point and nothing's perfect, we may have to accept that these situations will arise and nothing can be done. However I do tbink that with the VAR the assistant referees will feel more confident in providing advantage to attacking team if it is really close like the one mentioned above. This will allow for the attacking move to carry out with the understanding that if theee is a goal it can be reviewed

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

sin²x + cos²x = 1 wrote:
I thought the same, I think this will lead to linesman erring on the side of caution and not putting up their flag for close calls.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:
sin²x + cos²x = 1 wrote:
I thought the same, I think this will lead to linesman erring on the side of caution and not putting up their flag for close calls.

That would be good for the game, as there is nothing worse than having an offside decision preventing an otherwise good goal being scored.

Better to score first and ask questions later. :wink:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Definitely. We should review every decision at every stage of the game just in case someone makes a mistake.

Get ready for games to last 14 hours

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote:Definitely. We should review every decision at every stage of the game just in case someone makes a mistake.

Get ready for games to last 14 hours

:roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Much like cricket VARs been wrong a few times, still subject to opinion a few times and opened up new controversies. All it's really shown is that most linesman's decisions are well within the acceptable margin for human error.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote:Much like cricket VARs been wrong a few times, still subject to opinion a few times and opened up new controversies. All it's really shown is that most linesman's decisions are well within the acceptable margin for human error.
After the Chilean elbow only attracted a yellow card based on the VAR, I read a quote that there was nothing wrong with the V, it was the ARs that were the problem. Based on that decision, they clearly didn't know their ARs from their elbow.

Not a horrible idea, but if the blokes in the box haven't got a bottle of shiraz clue, what's the point?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Apparently won't be in EPL until 2018/19 at the earliest.