Football's rules could be revolutionized

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

International Football Association Board technical director David Elleray is behind a strategy document he describes as 'a quiet revolution'.
Source: AAP 13 HOURS AGO

Penalty goals, dribbling from free kicks and corners and points deductions for mobbing the referee are among a crop of radical proposals up for discussion by football's law-making body.

International Football Association Board technical director David Elleray, a former English referee, is behind a strategy document he describes as 'a quiet revolution'.

Under the proposals players would be allowed to play free kicks and corners to themselves instead of passing; the ball need not be stationary for a free kick; a penalty would be awarded for a goalkeeper handling a backpass; and a penalty goal could be given if an outfield player handles on or close to the goalline.

Possible changes to time keeping include the whistle only being blown for halftime and fulltime when the ball goes out of play; and using 60 minutes of actual playing time rather than 90 overall minutes as at present.

Teams could also be docked points for surrounding a referee.

Minor amendments include a goal kick not having to leave the penalty area before a defender touches it and a goal kick being awarded if a player misses a penalty kick, instead of any follow up being allowed.

"You could say it is a quiet revolution aimed at getting football even better," Elleray told The Times newspaper.

"My starting point was to look at the laws and say 'what are they for?' and if there is no particular reason then 'Would changing them make the game better?'"

A long-term supporter of video assistance for referees, Elleray believes trials are going well and improving behaviour.

"Players know they cannot get away with things such as violent conduct and bad tackles," he said.

The strategy document, called Play Fair, will be discussed over the next few months, before the 2018 IFAB annual general meeting in March, which will decide which proposals should be trialled in competitive matches.

I'm not too impressed with Elleray's ideas so far, most of them are of little use in making the game more attractive.
Not sure what he is trying to achieve with so many changes, surely one or two major changes would be better - what do you guys think of his ideas? OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Football's rules could be revolutionized

Post by Bomber »

Some strange stuff there. I like this only blow whistle at half time and full time business. So free kicks will be signalled by just a shout out I suppose? Assume they mean a siren, but that would mean time-keepers and therefore extra "officials" at every game, so NO.

Docked points for surrounding a referee is also madness - they could be protecting him by doing so in some instances. :P

Leave the game alone - its going along ok - just punish divers, shirt pullers and play actors (time wasters) more harshly - do that and the rest of the game will take care of itself.
Ignore this signature