Under 20 World Cup

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Under 20 World Cup

Post by God is an Englishman »

Ozzie Owl must be gutted

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Under 20 World Cup

Post by Scholes »

He'll find some negatives, always does.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

congrats on winning a meaningless comp....however, will it translate to senior success???????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:congrats on winning a meaningless comp....however, will it translate to senior success???????
Great win but how many of the squad wil get serious game time in EPL and go on to play for England at senior level ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:congrats on winning a meaningless comp....however, will it translate to senior success???????
Great win but how many of the squad wil get serious game time in EPL and go on to play for England at senior level ?
England win an under age tournament after years of this champagne saying how England never do well at junior tournaments and still he finds something to be negative about.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

to be fair...there has been an upward trend with regards to under age results.....my question is still quite relevant considering the shiiite the senior team put forward against the minnow the other night....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:to be fair...there has been an upward trend with regards to under age results.....my question is still quite relevant considering the shiiite the senior team put forward against the minnow the other night....
Your question was valid, you're not an apologist Englishman trying to pretend he's not.

The performance wasn't great the other night but a point for England in Scotland isn't a bad thing. Still undefeated and top of the group.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I didn't even know it was on.
Ignore this signature

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

Bomber wrote:I didn't even know it was on.
Me (n)either.
I tend to go off on a tangent

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:I didn't even know it was on.
Actually the quality of the SBS live stream was pretty good.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

God is an Englishman wrote:
ozzie owl wrote:
England win an under age tournament after years of this champagne saying how England never do well at junior tournaments and still he finds something to be negative about.
I personally think that it will help the English team turn the corner at future tournaments.

Your golden generation was as technically capable as any other country but was unable to get the job done at major tournaments because they didn't have tournament experience at Junior level.
It's all in the Delivery!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

MegaBonus wrote:to be fair...there has been an upward trend with regards to under age results.....my question is still quite relevant considering the shiiite the senior team put forward against the minnow the other night....
This clearly talented group now need opportunities at club level to get valuable game time.Be nice after Brexit for the FA to bring in some sort of quotas. However the financial clout of the big clubs will prevent this.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:I personally think that it will help the English team turn the corner at future tournaments.

Your golden generation was as technically capable as any other country but was unable to get the job done at major tournaments because they didn't have tournament experience at Junior level.
I said some time ago, that England had to go one of two ways. Either drop anyone over 30 and rebuild with youth and get them experience at that level OR stick with the old guard whilst insisting that players play at their under age level and come through as a team all in one go.

I hope this is the start of the latter happening.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:
This clearly talented group now need opportunities at club level to get valuable game time.Be nice after Brexit for the FA to bring in some sort of quotas. However the financial clout of the big clubs will prevent this.
Add in IndyRef2 as well and hopefully really narrow the field of foreigners.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Brian the Postman wrote:I personally think that it will help the English team turn the corner at future tournaments.

I said some time ago, that England had to go one of two ways. Either drop anyone over 30 and rebuild with youth and get them experience at that level OR stick with the old guard whilst insisting that players play at their under age level and come through as a team all in one go.

I hope this is the start of the latter happening.
I think the second option is best as they learn for themselves what they need to do in tournament play, I'm sure all won't make it through to the senior side but even if 5-6 do they will set the tone for the rest in the group.
It's all in the Delivery!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

At least England are finally starting to produce young players with skill, all we need now is for some of them to be given the opportunity to play for clubs in Europe or South America and learn the tactics necessary to win International Tournaments regularly, like Italy and Germany.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:At least England are finally starting to produce young players with skill, all we need now is for some of them to be given the opportunity to play for clubs in Europe or South America and learn the tactics necessary to win International Tournaments regularly, like Italy and Germany.

Only cabernet players would go abroad to play. Why you leave England if you were decent to go and play in the Belgian League?
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Old Master wrote:At least England are finally starting to produce young players with skill, all we need now is for some of them to be given the opportunity to play for clubs in Europe or South America and learn the tactics necessary to win International Tournaments regularly, like Italy and Germany.

Only cabernet players would go abroad to play. Why you love England if you were decent to go and play in the Belgian League?

To Learn - out on Loan from their Club.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:

Only cabernet players would go abroad to play. Why you love England if you were decent to go and play in the Belgian League?

What are they going to learn there that they wouldn't learn from the vast amounts of foreign players and coaches already in England? If they were any good then they'd get a contract in England.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:

Getting game time is critical, too many young English players at big clubs spend most of their time on the bench.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote:Getting game time is critical, too many young English players at big clubs spend most of their time on the bench.
That's what the championship/league one/league two is for. Millwall have a few young players loaned out to lower division sides. Don't see why anyone even half decent would go to some place like france or belgium just for game time. Cascarino went to France when his career was dead in England and was very successful over there. Sheringham went to Sweden when he was young.

Nowadays, loans to lower league teams are par for the course.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote:

Rather a player play in Belgium or French div one than League One in England.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

ozzie owl wrote: Rather a player play in Belgium or French div one than League One in England.
They type going there wouldn't get in a League One side. We should be enabling the smaller clubs to become better and to play against these types of players, not loaning them to little countries to enable them to improve.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Only cabernet players would go abroad to play. Why you love England if you were decent to go and play in the Belgian League?[/quote]

To Learn - out on Loan from their Club.[/quote]

Rather a player play in Belgium or French div one than League One in England.[/quote]

Foreign coaches are better educated than English coaches - how many English, or the UK, coaches are there in the top half of the EPL?

That's why young players should go O/S to get an education in Football.

The FA is still ten years behind every other country.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote:Foreign coaches are better educated than English coaches - how many English, or the UK, coaches are there in the top half of the EPL?

That's why young players should go O/S to get an education in Football.

The FA is still ten years behind every other country.
Which makes the point - why go overseas when so many players/coaches are foreign already?

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

So, the England u20 coach is a foreigner ?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ozzie owl wrote:Getting game time is critical, too many young English players at big clubs spend most of their time on the bench.
That's what the championship/league one/league two is for. Millwall have a few young players loaned out to lower division sides. Don't see why anyone even half decent would go to some place like france or belgium just for game time. Cascarino went to France when his career was dead in England and was very successful over there. Sheringham went to Sweden when he was young.

Huddersfield had Mooy, Brown, Palmer, Ward etc. on loan from EPL Clubs...plenty of game time was had...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:

Huddersfield had Mooy, Brown, Palmer, Ward etc. on loan from EPL Clubs...plenty of game time was had...
Precisely and now you're in the premier league. Win win!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »