English FA Diving bans- retrospective action

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

English FA Diving bans- retrospective action

Post by thebeautifulgame »

The English FA has at last (Scottish Football Association implemented procedure in 2011) acted in a responsible manner by introducing diving bans by players missed by the officials on match days. This retrospective action will be seen (or should be seen) by all genuine supporters of the game as a positive step in cutting out the cheating.
It has went on too long and we should welcome such a move, though it should have happened years ago in such a high profile league.
Personally I think part of football is human error (particularly by officials) and it adds to the excitement and controversy but such blatant cheating should not be tolerated. We don't want the game to become a game of umpires (cricket) to a game of referees (football) as outside interference should be kept to a minimum. Do we want referees to get a replay of every controversial decision and stick a finger in the air- don't think so.
However there are certain aspects which need to be readdressed and diving/simulation is certainly one of them.
The new process works like this: Assigned panel will review footage from weekend games from raised complaint from the respective club in relation to alleged simulation. If the panel consider the claim to be valid they will then raise an official complaint against the player and club with the right to appeal the charge. The player if found guilty (prior to appeal) will normally receive a two match ban and the player and club will be informed. If the player or club appeals it would normally carry a three match ban if still found guilty of the offence.
Interesting to note that such behaviour hes been drastically reduced in Scotland (two incidents I can think of this season and both been dealt with) as opposed to many incidents in EPL. Both cases in Scotland resulted in two match bans for each player as they did not appeal- Surprise Surprise!

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: English FA Diving bans- retrospective action

Alex Schalk (Schalk horror) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3fn2EriCbA :lol: :oops:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Good move
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

BRAVO - The English FA have done something right for once.

The only (and it's quite a major issue) is that if the ref sees it it's a booking, if he doesn't it's a 2 match ban. How's that right?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote:BRAVO - The English FA have done something right for once.

The only (and it's quite a major issue) is that if the ref sees it it's a booking, if he doesn't it's a 2 match ban. How's that right?
Agree. Yet to see how it will work in practice, but a laudable idea.

I reckon that refs will give less free kicks for simulation (not that they give many atm anyway) and leave it to the review panel.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I think the main issue is to try and stamp it out of the game, so anything that will discourage it is ok in my book. If the ref sees it, well it will have at least some consequence as it does today, but its those who get away with it on the day can at least sit out and wonder whether it was worth it. Its the "big" games (finals etc) that they wont care and that to me is the only time where some will most likely be more willing to take the risk.
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Interesting to note that Klopp and Allardyce are poles apart on this one. Klopp supports it and Allardyce says it is rubbish and a waste of money. Perhaps big Sam doesn't want other people to make money from the game, him being a fine upstanding citizen when it comes to earning a fast buck or two! Think most would back the idea as a starting point to see how effectively it works in England.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

If the ref sees it and gives Yellow card I think that's fair enough but it's when he misses it that the real issue comes to the fore.

If the player who dived and it was missed was already on a yellow, or got one later, then he would have been sent off, so by being noticed by the panel he gets what he should have got in the first place.

However, if he hasn't already got a yellow and didn't get any more yellows he gets two matches which is a stronger penalty than he should have, now is that fair?

So, perhaps the panel should award a yellow against said player rather than a Red, which carries a two-match penalty?
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

sin²x + cos²x = 1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sin²x + cos²x = 1 »

A diver can't cry about anything being not fair.
I tend to go off on a tangent

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote:BRAVO - The English FA have done something right for once.

Might be based on the notion that when dele ali dives and gets a penalty from it, the consequences for the offended club and the game itself can be severe, - struggling club sinks closer into relegation battle, manager sacked, integrity of the game called into question etc. so a harsh punishment is warranted (I would go 5 games if a goal results). However when dele ali dives and ref sees it, neither he, his horrible little outfit nor their numpty fans benefit so referees decision & yellow is deemed sufficient. Possibly something along those lines

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

N5 1BH wrote:

Might be based on the notion that when dele ali dives and gets a penalty from it, the consequences for the offended club and the game itself can be severe, - struggling club sinks closer into relegation battle, manager sacked, integrity of the game called into question etc. so a harsh punishment is warranted (I would go 5 games if a goal results). However when dele ali dives and ref sees it, neither he, his horrible little outfit nor their numpty fans benefit so referees decision & yellow is deemed sufficient. Possibly something along those lines

Somebody's not too happy with Dele Ali are they. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

:lol: Herrera's going to struggle
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower