Dortmund explosion was 'targeted attack'

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Police have found a letter claiming responsibility for what they are describing as a "targeted attack" on the Borussia Dortmund team bus.
Source: Omnisport
12 Apr 2017 - 8:36 AM UPDATED 5 HOURS AGO

The vehicle was damaged as three explosions occurred while the bus was making its way from the team hotel in the Hochstein area of Dortmund to Signal Iduna Park for the Champions League quarter-final first leg with Monaco.

Defender Marc Bartra was injured in the incident, with the club later confirming that he had been taken to hospital to have surgery on his wrist.

Police were unable to specify what type of explosives were used but they described the devices as "serious", stating they believed they had been hidden under a hedge next to a car park.

Police also found another "suspect device" near the team's hotel shortly after the bombing, but it was deemed harmless.

Speaking at a news conference, public prosecutor Sandra Lucke confirmed that the incident was being treated as attempted murder and gave assurances that additional security would be in place on Wednesday, with the match rescheduled for 18:45 local time (2:45am Thursday morning AEST).

"This evening, there were three explosions at 7:15 in the area surrounding the hotel in which BVB had been a guest," Police chief Gregor Lange said.

"We assume that it was a targeted attack on BVB's team. The services were tasked with securing the crime scene on a large scale.

"We decided at a very early stage not to rule anything out. At the present time, the concrete background for this act is not yet clear.

"I would like to express thanks for the good co-operation with BVB. We're preparing for a large-scale operation tomorrow [Wednesday]. The protective measures for the teams have already begun. Bomb detection dogs are still in use."

"The investigation is being carried out based on suspicion of attempted murder. A letter was found near the crime scene. We are checking its authenticity intensively.

"We found someone taking responsibility for the attack in the letter. Due to the investigation, we cannot comment further on this.

"Another object that did not explode was found. Our current point of view is that it was a dummy."

Football fans' moving response to Dortmund explosion

As news broke about Borussia Dortmund's team bus being rocked by explosions, the football community around the globe came together in solidarity.

Bartra has surgery after Dortmund explosion
Marc Bartra has undergone surgery on a broken wrist after being hurt in an explosion that targeted Borussia Dortmund's team bus ahead of Wednesday morning's (AEST) UEFA Champions League tie against Monaco.

Burki recounts terrifying moment Dortmund bus rocked by explosions
Borussia Dortmund keeper Roman Burki, who was sitting next to injured defender Marc Barta, has revealed how players ducked for cover as their bus was damaged by explosions.

I really don't see how the Dortmund players can be expected to play the match tonight, so soon after the attack, they will still be in shock after such an event.
Surely they could give them more time to recover? OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Dortmund explosion was 'targeted attack'

Post by Old Master »

Now the European press is screaming about the decision to play the match so soon after the bombing.

It certainly appeared that the Dortmund players were not as focussed as usual in the first half.

Shame on UEFA!
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Old Master wrote:Now the European press is screaming about the decision to play the match so soon after the bombing.

It certainly appeared that the Dortmund players were not as focussed as usual in the first half.

Shame on UEFA!
Submitting altogether means submitting to the perpetrators. I say kudos to Dortmund, as hard as it may be.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:
Old Master wrote:Now the European press is screaming about the decision to play the match so soon after the bombing.

Shame on UEFA!
Submitting altogether means submitting to the perpetrators. I say kudos to Dortmund, as hard as it may be.
Well said.